Sign in to follow this  
Soul Bro

2014 Summer Trade Proposal Thread

There are currently 9 other teams with more cap space than us.

So yes, in your scenario, when all 10 teams use their cap space to make that deal, jameer's contract would then be the next best trade chip. Prior to July 16th. Instead of giving a guy who was great to this franchise a head start in free agency.

Sounds like a great plan.

One could argue that paying Jameer $8M each of the last two years to play 76% of the games and rank #37 and #41 in point guard PER the last two years more than repaid Jameer's loyalty over the years.

I haven't seen the contract, but I'm pretty sure that's Jameer's signature agreeing to the July 16 decision date. I understand setting him free at the beginning of free agency gave him a shot at a better contract before all the free agency money was spent so he wouldn't have to accept a vet minimum. How did that work out?

It doesn't matter how it worked out. You can say that now because he's still a free agent but that's information nobody knew when we released him.

Nobody was giving up anything good for Jameer as a player (since it was clear we'd waive him otherwise) and nobody was giving up anything good for a salary dump either, here's why:

because for Jameer's contract to be worth a damn there'd need to be a contract of equal or greater size on the team that wanted to make the trade, that contract would need to be both expiring (for us to agree to it) and expendable (for the other team to want to give it up), that team would need assets worth a damn for us to agree to the deal AND that team would need a major reason to want to clear 6 million or so in cap room. Even if there was a team and a contract around the league that met all that criteria why wouldn't that team instead do this trade:

Contract + assets to Orlando

Orlando sends draft rights of Fran Vasquez or whatever other Euro guy will never set foot in the nba to X team.

That trade is actually better for X team since they get another 2 million in cap room and (not that it matters at all) we'd be over the salary floorwith Jameer's 2 million in guaranteed money plus the 8 or 9 million incoming.

Also since nobody to my knowledge traded a contract of that size before the 16th of July except for maybe Jeremy Lin who I wanted no part of (and the Rockets wouldn't have wanted Jameer's 2 million salary coming back anyway) why are we even having this conversation? It's not like we missed out on anything.

One could argue that paying Jameer $8M each of the last two years to play 76% of the games and rank #37 and #41 in point guard PER the last two years more than repaid Jameer's loyalty over the years.

I haven't seen the contract, but I'm pretty sure that's Jameer's signature agreeing to the July 16 decision date. I understand setting him free at the beginning of free agency gave him a shot at a better contract before all the free agency money was spent so he wouldn't have to accept a vet minimum. How did that work out?

It's 7/23. Philly can absorb $20 million in cap space. Explain to me why keeping Jameer would have been beneficial.

I can understand if there was some trade we missed out on. But that hasn't happened. So what is the point in even arguing about this?

1.Jameer wasn't a good trade chip because of the amount of teams willing to rent out cap space this year.

2. We still have the necessary cap space to make any deal that would have been available with Jameer's contract

3. We decided to do a nice thing for a player instead of having him wait around for no reason.

It's 7/23. Philly can absorb $20 million in cap space. Explain to me why keeping Jameer would have been beneficial.

I can understand if there was some trade we missed out on. But that hasn't happened. So what is the point in even arguing about this?

1.Jameer wasn't a good trade chip because of the amount of teams willing to rent out cap space this year.

2. We still have the necessary cap space to make any deal that would have been available with Jameer's contract

3. We decided to do a nice thing for a player instead of having him wait around for no reason.

I would've preferred to keep Jameer and not sign to Gordon, but I still trust on Henny.

I really can't understand why anyone has an issue with the Ben Gordon signing. I think pretty much everyone is aware that by overspending for Gordon we were still way under the cap floor for the season. With that in mind, the only conclusion I can come up with is that some fans are concerned that the Magic are going to bill the cost of his contract to season ticket holders homes. Unless someone here is planning on cutting Ben Gordon a check, you have no reason to complain about this.

Truly..nothing to freak out about. 15 million in cap space (3rd in league rank). The 76ers have 31 million..and 19 million to the Suns.

The Magic aren't winning a championship this year but they'll be miles better in the long run.

Denton reported a "very minor trade" that the details of haven't been released yet, wonder if it's got anything to do with the big Love trade?

Denton reported a "very minor trade" that the details of haven't been released yet, wonder if it's got anything to do with the big Love trade?

Shved and Mbah a Moute for Thad Young has been rumored, but I wouldn't call that very minor

It has been rumored that we will get rid of Fran Vasquez rights in that Minnesota-Philly-Cleveland-Trade.