Sign in to follow this  
MagicFanInNevada

Bold 2014 NBA Draft Predictions

On a one-year, expiring contract, playing hard for his next contract - yeah, I wouldn't mind him. If he plays like he has the last couple years, you have added a good big to your rotation. If for some reason he doesn't, someone else is going to want to trade for cap space/expiring contract. You have traded Nicholson out, you can not pick up the option on Maxiel, and if you get Payne it still gives him a veteran to mentor/practice against for the first year.

4th pick: PG Dante Exum

12th pick: SG James Young or Nik Stauskas

16th pick: PF Adreian Payne

49th pick: PG Russ Smith

That gives you:

Exum/Nelson/Smith

Oladipo/Young or Stauskas

Harkless/Harris

O'Quinn/Boozer/Payne

Vucevic/Dedmon

I like O'Quinn better to start because of his defense matching up with Vuc's offense, and then moving O'Quinn to the 5, or Dedmon in with Boozer. This lets Boozer play against the other teams second units, as well!

Well argued. I still think Boozer would kick up the ****s and demand a buyout especially if he came over and was put as a reserve.

Wait, people think Carlos Boozer would be Kyle O'Quinn's BACKUP?

In terms of who you are pairing him with in the frontcourt, maybe. Boozer is a more offensive minded player than O'Quinn, so playing him with Dedman and O'Quinn with Vucevic seems to make more sense. Do I think that O'Quinn is a better player than Boozer? In another year or two, if O'Quinn continues to develop and improve, and as Boozer ages, then maybe, but as of right now, absolutely not. I'm just saying that in terms of complimentary skills I like my PF/C combo to contain one offensive minded and one defensive minded. I seem to remember Thibodeau using him off the bench sometimes, though more when Rose was healthy.

Boozer wouldn't have much of a choice in the matter, though I imagine he would work his tail off to ensure that he would be the starter here.

I can't believe that people are actually discussing having Boozer on the Magic. We need our vets to be role models not cap space fillers. The vets we have all play hard, have great attitudes, and make an effort to play some decent D., so we should not bring in somebody who doesn't to show our rooks the other side of the coin.

I can't believe that people are actually discussing having Boozer on the Magic. We need our vets to be role models not cap space fillers. The vets we have all play hard, have great attitudes, and make an effort to play some decent D., so we should not bring in somebody who doesn't to show our rooks the other side of the coin.

And if Boozer were in the middle of a contract, I would probably agree with you. However, he will be in a contract year, so the play hard/effort on D probably won't be a real issue. The only real issue I can see is the potential attitude, though I don't know if that is true anymore. After a couple of years under Thibodeau and his no-nonsense attitude, I wonder if the old Boozer attitude hasn't already been modified. Time, experience, the struggle of being forced to play more team ball without your superstar (Rose) and consistent coaching may have all contributed to some maturity. I haven't heard much about Boozer's attitude in the last couple of seasons. I might be more concerned with taking away playing time from the developing younger players. If he plays well enough to earn starter minutes, he makes himself a valuable trade piece. If he doesn't, or if he becomes an attitude problem, his expiring contract still makes him a valuable trade piece. Personally, I wouldn't bet that he would be included in a deal, but you never know. Could we find a use for him if he were included? Now that I would bet on.

Carlos Boozer has started every game he's played in since 2006.

I stand corrected, you are right, he has started every game he has played in since 2006. He is still 32 and playing for his final (?) contract. Maybe you consider starting O'Quinn at center for defensive purposes, and sub Vucevic. You have 96 minutes at PF and C. Split between the three that is 32 minutes each. I'm not sure how much you would want Boozer and Vucevic in together, but just having Boozer might allow Vuc to work more on his D.

Edit: I also said I don't know that Chicago would include him (probably only if they decide to rebuild), and that I thought we could find some use for him, even if only as a trade piece.