Sign in to follow this  
Soul Bro

2014 Free Agency Watch Thread

Josh Robbins and the Sentinel questioning things....Here's a little snipet:

The Magic’s two assistant general managers may have vouched for Gordon. Matt Lloyd worked for the Chicago Bulls during Gordon’s tenure in Chicago, while Scott Perry was the Detroit Pistons’ vice president of basketball operations during Gordon’s tenure with the Detroit Pistons.

In recent years, however, Gordon’s reputation has been tarnished by a poor finish to his tenure in Detroit and by an incident that occurred during his first season in Charlotte.

During the 2012-13 season, Gordon reportedly disrupted one gameday shootaround by refusing to stop bouncing a basketball; the incident drew the ire of first-year coach Mike Dunlap, a former assistant coach in college who was struggling to earn his players’ respect.

Dunlap was fired after just one season and was replaced by Steve Clifford, and Clifford and Gordon got along well even though Clifford didn’t play Gordon often.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/blogs/magic-basketblog/os-mbb-orlando-magic-ben-gordon-20140702,0,4588340.post

• Downvote 1

Here are some noteworthy comments I found on OPP forum...Kind of summarizes my thoughts:

 Gordon is barely even a basketball player at this point though...

He couldn’t even get off the bench in Charlotte despite our desperation for outside shooting. He got into a verbal altercation with our last coach and isn’t exactly the best role model for young players. You just gave $9mil to a player who should barely even make the minimum at this point in his career. It is baffling.

Charlotte was desperate for outside shooting, and wouldn't play Gordon

That basically tells you everything you need to know about this signing. That, and the fact that the Bobcats strategically waived him to screw him out of signing with someone else late last season.

All stats aside....My biggest worry would be if he has a bad attitude and how young and influential our team will be....

We'll see.....

http://www.orlandopinstripedpost.com/2014/7/2/5864891/2014-nba-free-agents-ben-gordon-sign-orlando-magic-contract

If this is your measuring stick for basketball expertise, you may as well start posting pictures of children's drawings. That site is loaded with people who have never touched a basketball before and have no idea what they are talking about. The head writer's only basketball moments have come with an Xbox controller in his hand.

• Upvote 1

What happens when Rob makes a move -

Stage 1 - message board meltdown. "WHY WHY WHY I DONT UNDERSTAND IT, WHO IS TOBIAS HARRIS?????"

Stage 2 - Hot seat predictions - "HE WILL BE FIRED FOR THIS!! THE TEAM WILL SUCK FOREVER.I DONT KNOW MUCH BUT I KNOW MORE THAN THIS IDIOT GM".

Stage 3 - Watching the players actually play - "WOW HARRIS IS REALLY GOOD!!"

Stage 4 - Apology - "LOL, SORRY ROB I REALLY LIKE THIS TRADE NOW"

Stage 5 - Faith - "I BELIEVE IN HENNY!!!!!!"

Now start again at stage 1.

HAHA best post I've read in quite sometime. Could not agree more. Just seems like far more panic then usual considering how small of a signing it was.

As a whole, some of the free agent contracts have been insane to me. Heyward is about to get the max, Bradley get's 9 mil a year, Meeks over 6 mill, I guess teams have to spend money on someone and there aren't enough stars in the league to spend that money on.

I love me some Gortat, but if he gets 12mil a year I can only imagine what Vuch is going to demand next year. Yikes. Makes sense for us to be saving some cash.

@DavidBaumannCBS

Source: The @OrlandoMagic courting RFA Patrick Patterson as a potential starting PF. He's in ORL now.

@DavidBaumannCBS

Source: The @OrlandoMagic courting RFA Patrick Patterson as a potential starting PF. He's in ORL now.

Wow !...Interesting....Let's Go UK !!!!

STATS

SEASON FG% FT% P/40 R/40 A/40 TS% AST TO USG REB PER

'10-'11 .558 .714 15.1 9.2 1.9 57.4 11.5 8.7 14.8 13.1 16.77

11-'12 .440 .702 13.2 7.7 1.4 45.7 8.3 7.7 16.2 11.2 11.58

'12-'13 .512 .762 16.6 7.6 1.8 56.6 10.2 7.7 16.8 10.8 15.23

'13-'14 .460 .704 14.5 8.9 2.0 53.3 11.8 9.8 14.4 12.9 14.67

NOT BAD........

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/player/hollinger/_/id/4264/patrick-patterson

• Upvote 1

I guess the Raptors want him back...

Ryan Wolstat

Attention will now turn to Patrick Patterson. In driver’s seat with Vasquez with Lowry back in fold.