Sign in to follow this  
Soul Bro

2014 Free Agency Watch Thread

If someone gives Bledsoe a max contract, that's their own fault. He's a 9-11 mil guy, maybe he gets 12. I would be fine going after him or Reggie Jackson but I do not know if we are at the stage of the process yet where Rob will be looking to spend, especially when he can get his PG in the draft for cheap.

Bledsoe is not a max contract player.

He's not a max contract player but when a lot of teams have a lot of money they tend to spend it on whoever is available.

I can't see Bledsoe getting a max contract offer coming off a knee injury. I see him more in the $10-$12M per range and would be happy to have him at that price. If that's the plan, then I agree that taking Vonleh at #4 would be the move and then focus on a sharp shooter at #12. Btw what happened to Afflalo on your line-up projections?

I gave a trade-and-sign deal where we send Afflalo, Nicholson and a second round pick to acquire Bledsoe. Not sure if that would get the deal done, or if that is too much to pay. But that's why he's not in my projected line up :)

He's not a max contract player but when a lot of teams have a lot of money they tend to spend it on whoever is available.

True. It is nice to know we can probably assume it won't be us!

So apparently the Heat are looking at options to bring Carmelo Anthony in for the future creating a "Big 4" starting next season. :blink:/>/>

http://espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2014/story/_/id/11068709/miami-heat-discussing-options-target-carmelo-anthony-free-agency

I think it's more than a little insulting that the article sights SA as the model for what the Heat are trying to do. SA drafted the big three and have constantly done diligent work scouting and getting value out of less than ideal draft position to maintain a level of organizational excellence, while Miami is simply getting max players to take minimal paycuts to gang up on the rest of the league.

There's nothing at all admirable about what the Heat are trying to do, and their strategic plan is nothing at all like the Spurs who haven't signed a max FA since Duncan was drafted. This will only make the NBA that much harder to watch and cheapens any titles they may or may not win going forward. End rant.

• Upvote 1

I think it's more than a little insulting that the article sights SA as the model for what the Heat are trying to do. SA drafted the big three and have constantly done diligent work scouting and getting value out of less than ideal draft position to maintain a level of organizational excellence, while Miami is simply getting max players to take minimal paycuts to gang up on the rest of the league.

There's nothing at all admirable about what the Heat are trying to do, and their strategic plan is nothing at all like the Spurs who haven't signed a max FA since Duncan was drafted. This will only make the NBA that much harder to watch and cheapens any titles they may or may not win going forward. End rant.

Agreed, it is actually polar opposite to what the Spurs model is.

I strongly believe that we'll pass on any big moves this year and go all out for Durant next year..

He's got ties with Henni and knows he can assemble a team no matter what draft position.

Knows the Magic are wiling to spend to win.

Losing James Harden cost the Thunder at least one Championship. The west is always the strongest conference going at least 5-6 deep.

East on the other hand are maybe 2 (3 if Rose is 100%) deep and depending if the Heat can keep all 3 guys.

Why not take a chance on the Magic who could pay him max and they'll have a young strong building team.

If we draft a PG and PF this year, we'll be strong in all area's apart from SF.

PG: Ennis/Payton/Smart

SG: Oliadipo

SF: Durant

PF: Vonleh

C: Vucevic

Might be a pipe dream, but it does somewhat make some sense for all parties

The Heat getting their players to take cuts for Carmelo is part of the game. If they do it within the grey areas of the NBA rules and it works kudos to them as much as I hate to say it. It may or may not be admirable but being the 3rd worst team in the league surely isnt admirable either. I wish we had Pat Riley here calling the shots this last few years instead of the absolute dunce we had destroying everything he could with a chuckle and a smile on his face.

The Heat getting their players to take cuts for Carmelo is part of the game. If they do it within the grey areas of the NBA rules and it works kudos to them as much as I hate to say it. It may or may not be admirable but being the 3rd worst team in the league surely isnt admirable either. I wish we had Pat Riley here calling the shots this last few years instead of the absolute dunce we had destroying everything he could with a chuckle and a smile on his face.

I never insinuated it violated rules, and I understand it's part of today's game, but acknowledging that doesn't make it any more palatable...it's ring chasing by guys in their prime and IMO it's not good for the league short or long term. None of the greats did this on this scale and for someone who appreciates the history of the game I find it insulting. Players are judged on championships, and I think the way the Heat are doing it (whether within the rules or not) cheapens the entire thing. So much for process and loyalty, these are instant oatmeal championships, just add water and buy your Heat jersey...you've got plenty to choose from!

The bigger point is it's ridiculous to compare Miami's approach to SA's because, as already pointed out, they are polar opposite and share absolutely nothing in common.