Sign in to follow this  
Soul Bro

2014 Free Agency Watch Thread

It depends how he performs as he ages. A lot decline, but some still remain very productive well into their 30s. Look at Tim Duncan and Dirk Nowitizki. Duncan was a yearly all star until 2011 (34?) and returned in 2013 (36?), and in between has remained one of the best PFs. Dirk remained a yearly all star until 2012 (33) and returned last season 2014 (35), and likewise has remained one of the best PFs.

This off season Miami have gambled on Bosh doing the same, and with Aldridge, I think I'd be willing to gamble a max contract on him. If he can stay healthy, he's got the game to remain productive well into his 30s.

Are their game comparable to LA ones? I am still torn about offering him a max. contract. I would prefer to invest our money into K. Leonard, even if he is an RFA.

Are their game comparable to LA ones? I am still torn about offering him a max. contract. I would prefer to invest our money into K. Leonard, even if he is an RFA.

It wouldn't be an investment of anything but time on our behalf. SA will definitely match on Leonard.

The Orlando Magic have roughly $8.34 million in cap space and could free up an additional $2.81 million by renouncing the cap holds on E’Twaun Moore and the draft rights to Fran Vasquez. The Magic are roughly $5.66 million away from the NBA‘s required minimum salary of $56.759 million, although they have until the end of the season to meet that number. The Magic for the most part seem finished in free agency and are more likely to use their space later in the season given that they have basically 13 players under contract for the upcoming season.

Read more at http://www.basketbal...Zf1etxwSx8Vf.99

They are both at least one tier above Aldridge, so can't really compare them.

That wasn't the point I was making. My point was that there are examples of players that continue to be key contributors well into their 30s, and as such, you can compare them.

Now Duncan and Nowitzki are both at least one tier above - I don't dispute that - but Aldridge is still a very good player. If Aldridge ages gracefully, he will continue to be a key contributor for whatever team he plays for. If he struggles with injuries, or his game doesn't age gracefully, then he might be only a short term option (ie 4 years). It comes down to how Aldridge develops as he moves into his 30s.

Can't see the Spurs letting Leonard go. He's potentially one of the central figures to their post-Duncan era. He'd be a very good signing, but probably won't happen.

There's absolutely no chance Aldridge comes here

Why do you say that?

Also, I think Aldridge could be worthy of a big contract because his game really doesn't rely on athleticism. I'm pretty sure he will still be a highly effective player when he is 34.

Why do you say that?

Also, I think Aldridge could be worthy of a big contract because his game really doesn't rely on athleticism. I'm pretty sure he will still be a highly effective player when he is 34.

I totally agree and I can see his shot getting even better.