Sign in to follow this  
Soul Bro

Who's the Better Player: Redick or Anderson?

21 members have voted

1. 1. Who's the Better Player: Redick or Anderson?

• Redick
    • Anderson

At this point, who is the better player, Redick or Anderson? Consider their age, positions, impact, etc.

The reason I ask is Henny chose not to re-sign Anderson last summer, yet he is four years younger than Redick and has consistently been a more efficient offensive player than Redick. Might this be a strong indicator that we won't re-sign Redick to a new deal this summer???

Props to Josh Robbins at the OS for his article that triggered this poll: http://www.orlandose...story?track=rss

IMHO, Redick is the better player, hands down. Ryan is a great shooter but poor creator and defender. Redick can shoot, playmake, better defend, somewhat create and is a clear leader.

However, I believe how Henny handled Ryan's situation is telling. I very much expect JJ to be dealt before the deadline.

IMHO, Redick is the better player, hands down. Ryan is a great shooter but poor creator and defender. Redick can shoot, playmake, better defend, somewhat create and is a clear leader.

However, I believe how Henny handled Ryan's situation is telling. I very much expect JJ to be dealt before the deadline.

IMHO as well ... I loved Ryan and hated to see him go, but JJ is IMO a much more important piece in the puzzle the Orlando Magic are ... if he's traded, or should he sign elsewhere during the summer, I'll never get another Magic player jersey for it seems to foretell their departure ... in such case, obviously, JJ's will be one of those ... the other's name, I'll take to my grave ... don't want to get linched by a furious mob LMFAO ...

I would say it depends, but overall, I'd pick Redick. If I was building a team around "old" Dwight or another center I wanted to force feed in the post like a healthy(?) Bynum, I might be inclined to pick Anderson instead, as his rebounding and outside shooting at the PF position becomes a key part of the offensive game plan and you have someone at the C position that can cover up some of his defensive shortcomings.

Anderson seems to have had an easier road to becoming an effective NBA player though and is a couple years ahead of JJ in that regard. A lot of people said he was only going to be effective along side Dwight, yet there he goes, on the Pelicans, sans Dwight, putting up similar numbers as last year. You could use that to suggest he has more room to grow, and hopefully that growth comes on the defensive end of the court.

JJ has had a tougher road, needing to really work on his game to transition from college to the NBA, but it has definitely paid off, and the work he put in to get himself where he is today speaks volumes about his work ethic.

For a young rebuilding team, I think JJ is a positive influence on and off the court (yes, I'm talking about leadership) and that can't be overlooked either. Maybe the need/desire to retain JJ was taken into account when letting Anderson walk, as well as the desire to go more traditional at the PF position.

I'd say Redick as well, though Ryan has more time to improve his game. As of today, I don't know who's more valuable. A young big who can spread the floor and rebound, or a pure shooter who can play alittle bit of D. Redick can continue to contribute as a Ray Allen-esque type guy off the bench I suppose.

I think letting Ryan go was the right move, as he'd be just a guy putting up numbers on an awful team here, and alot of money tied up to the PF position with Baby. He may have even forced us to play Baby at...gulp...the 5 and not let Vucevic grow.

Resigning Redick, as you all know since I've stated it before, would be a bad idea, hence why I push to move him now regardless of the haul. Even a draft pick would be great, since you risk losing him for nothing. You don't want to pay the future pick, teams are always looking for more as well, so it's an asset you can keep for awhile (depending on year).

I also fear is we do resign Redick, regardless of dollar amount, we have two vets who will hinder time for any potential swingman we pick up in the draft, free agency, etc. We need youth at that position in the worse, WORSE way. With Afflalo sliding to the 3 often it hinders any project playing time as well.

I LOVE Redick. I do. I pop everytime he does something. I'd love to have him here. But it's just not in the cards with other changes being made, which I don't think will be. It's a shame we don't have a ton of space next year were we can frontload Redick ala Collison in OKC to get him his $$. Still the playing time point I made also leaves me not wanting to do that.

We shall see.

JJ.

The one thing you can see that is the difference maker between the two players is, who expanded their game the most. Ryan has made strides becoming comfortable in the post, and his 3pt shooting is a killer. But JJ has made a 720 from where he came in and how he is now. While JJ has always had one of the nicest strokes, his defense wasnt great nor his lateral movement. He didnt come off of screens well and his jumper wasnt falling as they did in college. JJ now can still stroke it, comes off screens like Rip Hamilton with a finishing jumper, JJ's lateral movement and quickness has improved greatly.

While JJ might not be as long as Ryan, JJ has alot more tricks in his bag than Ryan and JJ's defense is alot better than Ryans.

JJ.

The one thing you can see that is the difference maker between the two players is, who expanded their game the most. Ryan has made strides becoming comfortable in the post, and his 3pt shooting is a killer. But JJ has made a 720 from where he came in and how he is now. While JJ has always had one of the nicest strokes, his defense wasnt great nor his lateral movement. He didnt come off of screens well and his jumper wasnt falling as they did in college. JJ now can still stroke it, comes off screens like Rip Hamilton with a finishing jumper, JJ's lateral movement and quickness has improved greatly.

While JJ might not be as long as Ryan, JJ has alot more tricks in his bag than Ryan and JJ's defense is alot better than Ryans.

JJ also just has to chase folks around. Ryan had to bang in the post with guys who are made for the post. It's apples and oranges if you ask me.

Neither are lockdown defenders. JJ couldn't keep a hand in the face of anyone coming out of college, SVG turned him into a serviceable defender. Ryan is slow, not built like a truck, and doesn't really have much length to him.

JJ also just has to chase folks around. Ryan had to bang in the post with guys who are made for the post. It's apples and oranges if you ask me.

Neither are lockdown defenders. JJ couldn't keep a hand in the face of anyone coming out of college, SVG turned him into a serviceable defender. Ryan is slow, not built like a truck, and doesn't really have much length to him.

Completely.

Now compare JJ and Afflalo.... that could be an intersting topic.

Obviously Redick is the better all-around player. Ryan has the one intangible you can't teach, though: height. 6'4 SG, even good ones, aren't a rarity.

6'11 hustle guys that can shot like Ryan does, and rope in offensive boards, are comparitively rare. Still, with a rebuilding team, I'd rather have JJ.

Wish we could have kept both and had that been our core moving forward.

Obviously Redick is the better all-around player. Ryan has the one intangible you can't teach, though: height. 6'4 SG, even good ones, aren't a rarity.

6'11 hustle guys that can shot like Ryan does, and rope in offensive boards, are comparitively rare. Still, with a rebuilding team, I'd rather have JJ.

Wish we could have kept both and had that been our core moving forward.

For nearly 20 mil, that would be a core of mediocrity IMO. I love both guys, but it's time ORL gets dynamic players. Like a McGrady. Someone who can take over games, and will get you 20 every night. Dwight was that, though his offense wasn't built to take over games. Or our offense wasn't. Idk. Plus his FT shooting.

I just want a wing again guys. :(