Sign in to follow this  
The Magic Word

If you were Rob Hennigan, how would you rebuild?

The Cavs got a bust in Tristan Thompson, and they are still wading in the one superstar, barely miss the playoffs pool. If Kyrie stays healthy, and the Cavs can actually come through in the draft this year, which should be a high pick, they could be a dangerous team. Its not as if Durant, Harden, Westbrook were all drafted the same year. The Thunder lucked out three years in a row. Top 5 picks three years in a row?? You better be winning some games after that!

Thompson is playing quite well this season...

The Cavs got a bust in Tristan Thompson, and they are still wading in the one superstar, barely miss the playoffs pool.

Thompson has been progressing very nicely. During January, dude's averaging 15/11 on 51% shooting as a second year 21 year old.

Thompson is playing quite well this season...

He is putting up nice numbers...different than playing well. Especially since Verajao is out. That is like saying Jed Buschler played well while Mcgrady was out. I don't see Thompson ever being anything more than an average role player, but maybe Im wrong.

The Cavs got a bust in Tristan Thompson, and they are still wading in the one superstar, barely miss the playoffs pool. If Kyrie stays healthy, and the Cavs can actually come through in the draft this year, which should be a high pick, they could be a dangerous team. Its not as if Durant, Harden, Westbrook were all drafted the same year. The Thunder lucked out three years in a row. Top 5 picks three years in a row?? You better be winning some games after that!

Everyone knew Thompson was raw but he's starting to show why Cleveland drafted him so high. Also Cleveland is in the bottom 3, not barely missing the playoffs.

He is putting up nice numbers...different than playing well. Especially since Verajao is out. That is like saying Jed Buschler played well while Mcgrady was out. I don't see Thompson ever being anything more than an average role player, but maybe Im wrong.

Absolutely. The kid had a whole season and a half to play and there's no way he's going to improve anymore. I'll take a couple of players averaging 15 and 11 on the Magic right now. I will sort out whether or not they are "playing well" later.

Considering its unlikely we get a top 3 pick in both this coming draft and next I'm hoping for the 5th pick here and getting Smart (since McLemore will be gone) then hit the top 3 in 2014 for a potential superstar.

Considering its unlikely we get a top 3 pick in both this coming draft and next I'm hoping for the 5th pick here and getting Smart (since McLemore will be gone) then hit the top 3 in 2014 for a potential superstar.

Why would that be unlikely? Unless the rookie we draft has a huge, immediate impact next season, this roster will still be in the running for worst team in the league.

Why would that be unlikely? Unless the rookie we draft has a huge, immediate impact next season, this roster will still be in the running for worst team in the league.

Are you assuming no growth from Nicholson, Moe, Vuc, or any of the other young guys?

I dont like the idea of tanking two years in a row, too much potential for disappointment. I would rather try for as high a pick as possible this year then trade our assets for a nice player over the summer then start the W train again.

Are you assuming no growth from Nicholson, Moe, Vuc, or any of the other young guys?

I dont like the idea of tanking two years in a row, too much potential for disappointment. I would rather try for as high a pick as possible this year then trade our assets for a nice player over the summer then start the W train again.

Considerably lower chance of success that way. You need a star player to win anymore.

I'm not saying I don't want us to get top 3 picks the next two years but I'd be surprised if it happened as often as people expect and, given the choice, I'd rather grab one of Wiggins, Randle, Parker etc than what is available in this draft. Truth be told, while I have favorite prospects in this draft none of them are as exciting as what's coming in 2014.

I'm not saying I don't want us to get top 3 picks the next two years but I'd be surprised if it happened as often as people expect and, given the choice, I'd rather grab one of Wiggins, Randle, Parker etc than what is available in this draft. Truth be told, while I have favorite prospects in this draft none of them are as exciting as what's coming in 2014.

The most important thing is to be sure we maximize these next two drafts. Hell, even if we knock it out of the park this year, we're still almost definitely lottery bound next year, especially if we start making moves like dealing Redick for future picks (which I support) but will make us worse in the short-term. If we can get a solid starter in this year's draft, a star in following year's, and then make a splash in the summer of 2015, we will be good to go.