Sign in to follow this  
MilitaryMagic

Magic to retain Brian Hill regardless of playoffs

quote:
Originally posted by Nyce_1:

Check it out, my question got anwered in the ESPN chat with John Hollinger icon_wink.gif

quote:
Jerry (Kansas City): John, what do you think about Otis Smith's comments about the Magic keeping Brian Hill for the remainder of his contract? It's pretty clear that the players are unmotivated by his coaching style and style of play. And, what available coaches would be ideal for the group of players down there in Orlando? Thanks

John Hollinger: (2:57 PM ET ) The Magic, in general, just seem way too comfortable to me. They stood pat at the trade deadline even though their season was falling apart and they had the pieces to get something done, and now they're acting like everything's fine while Rome burns around them. Maybe this last episode is just a smokescreen to get the players to listen to Hill for one more month, but I'm starting to wonder what's going on down there.

One more comment about Nyce1's question that Hollinger answered in his Insider chat today.

I've heard a lot of insider rumors that Vince did and still wants to play here. If Otis messes this up and we end up getting nothing but scraps from the free agency period this summer I am gonna be one upset Magic fan.

As you can see from this question we could have had Vince at the deadline.

Otis, you got one "BIG" summer ahead of you. Here's hoping for success.

I sure am hoping Otis didn't blow this one.

quote:
Originally posted by chosen12:

A most excellent question, I think along the lines of what was reported by ESPN, when they stated that BHill was "given a little more time" to make ammends for the crime commited upon him in the past!

It is a matter of saving face, I think everyone is fed up with the losing. The new building will be easier to sell, if they where able to produce a winning or potentially winning product! Further, Otis is the face of the RDV management, he is the one with the target one his front and back. He is taking hits for everyone, and that is in his job discription, but I also think BHill will be offered a reassignment or buyout...IMO

I know it seems like Otis is saving face here, but isn't that even worse than owning up to the situation?

Obviously Brian Hill isn't in position to deprecate himself or Otis Smith, but Otis surely is. It's up to him to be honest with our team. And, honestly, our team is getting LIED to.

Our players are not idiots. They get paid no matter what, so why should they hate life and submit to Brian Hill? If I hate my boss, I surely am NOT motivated by veiled threats by him/her. All of our veteran players have soured on coach Hill.

Luckily, our best players are too young to know any better, so they'll just keeping stomping on... I truly hope that Dwight and Darko both accept Magic offers this summer - if both of them smart up to Brian Hill and realize they can play anywhere they want in the NBA, our franchise will disintigrate.

quote:
Originally posted by Marc Acres 3:16:

Has he been given any less rope than what JD or Doc or Jent were given? I think he has plenty of rope and he has been choking on it for the better part of this year.

JD was fired with I think 17 games remaining

Wow! Brian Hill attempted to confron a heckler in the stands after the Bobcats game but was intercepted by Joel Glass. I wonder what the fan said that got B Hill so angry?

quote:
Originally posted by chosen12:

A most excellent question, I think along the lines of what was reported by ESPN, when they stated that BHill was "given a little more time" to make ammends for the crime commited upon him in the past!

It is a matter of saving face, I think everyone is fed up with the losing. The new building will be easier to sell, if they where able to produce a winning or potentially winning product! Further, Otis is the face of the RDV management, he is the one with the target one his front and back. He is taking hits for everyone, and that is in his job discription, but I also think BHill will be offered a reassignment or buyout...IMO

Buyout??? If he's fired, he'll get paid for the final 2 years of his contract. I won't feel bad for the man. He'd make more in those 2 years than almost all Americans make in their lifetimes.

quote:
Originally posted by christophergentry110401:

I AM TIRED OF THIS BULL**** BY THE MAGIC AND THERE PIECE OF **** OWNERS AFTER 14-15 YEARS OF THIS I QUIT ON THIS TEAM I AM TIRED OF SPENDING MONEY ON NBATV/NBA LEAGUE PASS AND AUDIO LEAGUE PASS JUST TO SEE THIS FRANCHISE SINK AND OUR OWNERS NOT GET A CLUE ABOUT OUR SORRY *** COACH. I WAS A HUGE BRIAN HILL SUPPORTER BUT I AM NOT ANYMORE HE HAD DRUG THIS TEAM DOWN LIKE A *****. I AM NOW GOING TO BECOME A FAN OF MY HOMETOWN TEAM THE DALLAS MAVERICKS ATLEAST THEY AND NOW ME INCLUDED HAVE AN ONWER AND A COACH WHO KNOW WHAT THE **** THEY ARE DOING. OTIS SMITH NEEDS TO GROW SOME BALLS OR ELSE THERE WILL BE MORE FANS LIKE ME LEAVING FOR EITHER THERE HOMETOWN TEAM IF THEY DON'T LIVE IN ORLANDO OR JUST FIND ANOTHER TEAM WORTH WATCHING.

THANKS FOR ALL THE GREAT DISCUSSIONS MAGIC FANS BUT I CAN'T TAKE IT AND WON'T SPEND ANYMORE ON THIS TEAM OR NBA I NEVER THOUGHT IT WOULD COME TO THIS BUT I JUST DON'T HAVE THE PATIENCE TO WATCH THIS TEAM GET BLASTED AND LOOK LIKE THEY DON'T HAVE A CHANCE TO WIN FROM TIP OFF. DWIGHT WILL BE GOOD BUT EVEN I REALIZE THAT OUR OWNERS WILL END UP HAVING ANOTHER SHAQ ON THERE HANDS. D12 WILL DEVELOPE SOMEWHERE ELSE...I JUST CAN'T TAKE THIS SUFFERING BULL**** ANYMORE....

SORRY FOR CAPS BUT GOOD LUCK TO ALL YOU MAGIC FANS....STAY STRONG MAYBE ONE DAY YOUR TEAM WILL BE BOUGHT BY AN ONWER WHO KNOWS BASKETBALL AND GIVE US A GM AND COACH WITH BALLS.

I told you this was a DEBACLE!!!!!!!!! QUITTER

Quote from today's game recap article on the Sentinel

"A day after management threw its support behind Coach Hill -- General Manager Otis Smith said on Sunday that Hill would return next season -- the club looked dispirited and disjointed."

Sure looks like the players are as disapointed as we are with Otis going public with his support for Hill. We can't wait to see Hill go, but I have to imagine the players are even more impatient. What gives?

My favorite blurb -

"Asked how he could lift his team out of its rut, Brian Hill hinted at lineup changes."

"It's possible. We have to do something," he said. "We'll take a long look at it. . . . It's frustrating."

Umm, This team has been tanking it for weeks. NOW you are going to take a long look at it? and its just "possible" you might make changes?

I agree with the original poster that not everything can be blamed on Brian. Granted, some of his rotations have been questionable, but then again, I haven't seen those guys in practice: only in reputation (ala JJ).

As I see it, the Magic are basically a very, very talented college team playing in the NBA. Yes, they will win a few games, but they're lacking the experience and age and wisdom that's required to win (consistantly) in the NBA.

I'd say give Brian a little time to work on his guys and the guys a little time to grow older. When Dwight, Darko, Jameer, and JJ are all 25, this should be a pretty good team.

Come on, folks: we've been waiting since '89 for something great - we can wait a little longer.

quote:
Originally posted by 30Assists:

I'd say give Brian a little time to work on his guys and the guys a little time to grow older. When Dwight, Darko, Jameer, and JJ are all 25, this should be a pretty good team.

Come on, folks: we've been waiting since '89 for something great - we can wait a little longer.

Great. More advice to forget about the next few years.

Hey, what happens in 4 years if we keep getting worse every year, like we seem to be doing now? Will that lead to greatness?

You haven't been around long enough I see or you would realize those comments have been discussed in side and out. Brian Hill couldn't coach a dead horse. He just knows how to ruin talent...ala....JJ. No more time, no more patience Mrs. Hill.