Sign in to follow this  
jjgator

Vucevic now 5th in the league in rebounding

Future projections of young players are part of their present value.

The thing that shouldn't factor into an evaluation of a trade in retrospect is if a player outperforms those projections significantly or underperforms significantly.

Ben Wallace turned out to be a much more valuable player than Grant Hill, but that doesn't mean it was a stupid trade on the Magic's part. If you're the Magic, you make that trade 100 times out of 100. Even with the injury concerns, Hill's value at the time made it worth the risk.

It didn't work out, but it wasn't a bad trade.

The projections of whom? The average couch potato fan or "expert" in the media? Maybe the guys running our team now know what they are doing and their projections were much higher for

Vooch.

I'll be honest, I saw a 10 and 10 guy a few years from now. Instead he is there now

I foresaw the boards coming, if he got the mins. I was hoping for the double figure points. He needs to try to dunk everything around the bucket. He will get to the line more. I hate when he puts soft stuff up at the rim. I agree. He is turning out nicely thus far.

An analogy, since you're seemingly pretty dense:

I have 1 million dollars worth of stock in a company, lets say Microsoft.

I trade it to you for $100k worth of gasoline.

A month later, the entirety of society collapses, Mad Max style, and gasoline is now the most valuable resource on Earth.

In that scenario, was my original trade a good one? The answer is of course not. I gave you 10x the value I received in return. THAT is what the trade was. Any changes in values to the traded items that occurs after the trade is completely irrelevant to the judgment of the trade itself.

I don't care how the trade was viewed at the time by armchair GMs. What matters is what you get out of it long term, especially for a team like us that has no illusions about contending right now. When you get draft picks and young talent it is pretty stupid to make all your judgements about a trade right away. I guess we should have just swapped for Bynum since his value seemed to be high at the time. I guess it's more important what the media thinks about the trade than Hennigan actually evaluating future potential and doing his job. Perception doesn't equal reality. It's not like we were getting any other great trade offers, it was probably about the best we could do under the circumstances. I'm just glad that Vuc looks like he will be a nice piece for us; it's something to be positive about to me. Continue to spew unending negativity getting drunk on your own misery though, that's what you do apparently.

• Upvote 5

I don't care how the trade was viewed at the time by random dolts like yourself.

Charming.

What matters is what you get out of it long term, especially for a team like us that has no illusions about contending right now.

You can repeat this as many times as you want, in as many different phrasings as you want. It's still fundamentally false. If you buy 500 dollars worth of gold by paying 1000 dollars, and then the value of gold triples, you still got ripped off because you should have been able to buy twice as much gold. I don't know how to make this any more plain for you. The trade was a **** sandwich because players like Vucevic had almost no value when they were traded. If he turns out way better than expected, that's wonderful, but we still got raped on value at the time of the trade because we should have been able to get 5 Vooches for what we gave up.

When you get draft picks and young talent it is pretty stupid to make all your judgements about a trade right away.

When talking about the values of what was traded at the time, that's literally the only way to judge them. What happens if Vucevic has a career ending injury today? Does that change his value as it pertained to a trade that occurred before he was injured?

I guess we should have just swapped for Bynum since his value seemed to be high at the time.

Bynum's value WASN'T all that high at the time, for reasons that I have little interest in listing. But ignoring that, I've said nothing about Bynum in this thread. You're acting petulant, and worse, you're responding to arguments that no one has made. Knock that right the hell off.

I guess it's more important what the media thinks about the trade than Hennigan actually evaluating future potential and doing his job.

Future potential is a projection and that projection is an element of trade value, but if a player out-performs that potential, the fact that they did so doesn't effect their previously established value. And again: you can rephrase this as many times as you want, but you'll always be wrong. Always.

Perception doesn't equal reality.

And yet, you're trying to argue that the new perception of Vucevic DOES equal reality. I'd laugh, but at this point I'm just really embarrassed for you.

It's not like we were getting any other great trade offers, it was probably about the best we could do under the circumstances.

This may well be true, I don't know for sure and you don't either, but "it's the best we were going to get" doesn't make it good by default. A **** sandwich may be your only meal option, but it's still a **** sandwich.

I'm just glad that Vuc looks like he will be a nice piece for us; it's something to be positive about to me.

Yeah, he's a solid 2nd big man who rebounds extremely well, particularly for one who plays so marshmallow soft.

Continue to spew unending negativity getting drunk on your own misery though, that's what you do apparently.

http://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/ad-hominem

• Upvote 1

The trade was a **** sandwich because players like Vucevic had almost no value when they were traded. If he turns out way better than expected, that's wonderful, but we still got raped on value at the time of the trade because we should have been able to get 5 Vooches for what we gave up.

We should have been able to get 5 Vooches for what we gave up under the circumstances? Dwight made it so we could only trade him to certain teams, no matter what we did we were going to come out with less value than what we gave(None of us actually know what Houston was offering, but I'll give Hennigan the benefit of the doubt when he said it wasn't what the media made it out to be). I really don't consider that "getting raped" as you put it. It's making the best of a bad situation. I'm just saying the trade is already starting to yield better results than expected. You're basically arguing semantics in an attempt to get under my skin. It's not working. We get it, it was a bad trade. It was still one we pretty much had to make. What else were we going to do, just let Howard walk?

• Upvote 2

I always like it when I write long responses and someone picks out two sentences and responds to nothing else, especially when it's a new poster.

It really makes it plain as day that their position is intellectually bankrupt and that they're probably not worth paying attention to.

• Upvote 1

I always like it when I write long responses and someone picks out two sentences and responds to nothing else, especially when it's a new poster.

It really makes it plain as day that their position is intellectually bankrupt and that they're probably not worth paying attention to.

It's the only part that I could find any substance in. I've been lurking on this site for years watching you try to be an internet tough guy to people. Continue to do it if you like, I have no reason to interact with you any further.

For me, the bottom line is I love Vooch's quiet consistency. Moreover, he's still very young (22). Put him on the Dwight or Gortat workout program and we'll (hopefully) be set. Following the Dwight drama, I find it especially refreshing.