Sign in to follow this  
SmackDaddy

With Free Agency drying up...

NBR, you know I'm with you on signing Croshere or Pollard!

Actually, I'd prefer the Magic trade Battie, then sign Croshere AND Mihm.

If we didn't sign a big FA, and went with second tier guys, we'd still have a sexy team:

Jameer/Dooling/Diener

Pietrus (or Mo Pete)/JJ/draft SG @ 44

Turk/Ariza/Bogans

Darko/Croshere/Augustine

Dwight/Mihm/Gortat?

Its crazy, there are so many possibilities as to how this space could be used and how this summer could pan out. Numerous trades, or simple use of free agency, draft picks for players, its craaaaazzzzyyyy! lol

quote:
Originally posted by Aussie Magic fan:

I say we forget about all those big names and try and get Josh Smith from atlanta ( i know he's not a FA). He's best friends with Dwight and would provide the defense and he's a decent 3 point shot that we need. Atlanta have enough SG/SF's and looks like they'll be drafting another in Noah.

Offer them Nelson (or Arroyo), Battie, Turk, whatever it takes (apart from the obvious)

He is the one SF/SG that they SHOULD hold onto...I bet they end up going with Conley Jr. in the draft which will move Johnson to the 2.

With all my research I've heard they're looking at Horford at 3 with Acie Law (I rate, rate, rate this guy!) at 11. But you never know. Mate I tell you I hope we bump ourselves up and Law drops I like the guy that much.

Don't worry about Javaris Crittenton, Acie Law, Acie Law.

quote:
And a big is something i've been talking about for some time but no one has been up for discussion.

I say chase Melvin Ely. Reasonably experienced big man that makes hustle plays and rebounds. Should come cheap to.

I thought it would be good to reflect on what Otis said yesterday :

Posted by Scott Anez, June 22, 2007, 9:53AM

A CHAT WITH GM OTIS SMITH

On the morning of June 21, one week before the 2007 NBA Draft, Scott Anez sat down with Magic General Manager Otis Smith to pick his brain about the upcoming Draft and beyond .....

SA: Once the draft is over with, the free agency period begins. What are you going to be doing July 1 ?

OS: We're probably gonna bring in one or two guys. We like a couple of guys a lot. For us to make an impact in free agency, we're gonna have to do some creative financing. We have cap room, but it's not a ton of cap room. Some of that has to do with a Darko deal and how he ties it up. It's what we are talking about for 4-5 hours a day right now. I am not sure if we are spending 90% of the time on draft or 90% of our time on free agency, but both of them are consuming us right now.

SA: What's your criteria for the pool of free agents you are interested in?

OS: He's gonna have to make an impact today ! That's what you are in the free agent market for. You are not in the free agent market for a guy who's gonna develop in 2-3 years. He's gonna have to have an impact today. Also you have to look at other factors. How's he gonna help our young team grow? Having Dwight, Jameer, JJ and Darko, that becomes important. What kind of character guy is he? And you have to take into consideration how the coach likes to play. We look at a lot of things but mainly what will his impact be on our young basketball team.

( Ariza not mentioned and calling out Jameer is interesting. )

Anez Sez is solely the opinion of Scott Anez and does not reflect the views of the Orlando Magic or the NBA.

The more I consider what the magic have as options, and they seem to be dwindling, the more I like the idea of us signing Pietrus and trading into the first round.

Pietrus is a young, versatile player that can grow with our core. He will continue to blossom.

The option of moving into the first round gets more and more intriguing when you consider that a few teams have multiple first round picks. Maybe we can package Diener to Phoenix. Maybe we can package Arroyo to Atlanta. Maybe we can sign and trade G Hill to Detroit and get our original first round pick back. Regardless, we're not losing much and stand to gain a lot in return.

Point is, with Pietrus & a first round pick replacing an aging Grant Hill and possible Garrity on the roster, the future looks much brighter.

Honestly, if we are going to continue to move forward, I think we need pieces that will continue to grow, not retire in a one to three years.

We all seem to think that the Magic window for championships opens in 2-3 years. Why not add a few key pieces that will help keep that window open long after that?

Pietrus & a first round pick and then we would still have a bit of cap space next season if we need to make adjustments. Or, we would have numerous tradable commodities to tweak the roster.

Pietrus and Dale Davis

Pietrus will plug in nycely as our SG and SVG can help develop him. Most GS fans say he doesn't realize he's a PROFESSIONAL BASKETBALL PLAYER yet. I think our new coach can help him with that.

Dale Davis would be a good 4th big to also teach our guys a few things here and there. He also adds a sense of toughness to the front line.

With all the talk of needing addition bigs and SGs, has anyone given a thought that we are in desperate need of a PG? It's just possible that Jameer will still turnover the ball with regularity and take idiot shots again this season. In other words, our starting PG may not be any better this year. And who is our backup? The management needs to take a serious look at this position.

quote:
Originally posted by andie:

With all the talk of needing addition bigs and SGs, has anyone given a thought that we are in desperate need of a PG? It's just possible that Jameer will still turnover the ball with regularity and take idiot shots again this season. In other words, our starting PG may not be any better this year. And who is our backup? The management needs to take a serious look at this position.

We have 4 PGs on the team. Remember when we ended in 05/06 and started in 06/07, no one was complaining about our PG play. In fact, there was a national story saying the Magic had one of the best duos at that position. Yes, they had bad years but most of us think it was due to a bad offensive scheme. We'll have this year re-evaluate our PGs again. If we don't like them, they are ALL FA next offseason and we can pick some new ones up via trade/draft/FA.

This offseason is about plugging holes; SG and PF/C.

We may have 4 PGs on the roster but numbers don't mean much if none of them can run the floor. The upcoming season will be interesting. Brian Hill and his idiocy still has an impact on this team.