Sign in to follow this  
DanA_TBDP

Feed Nik

That's what worries me about Vucevic. I think that if he somehow became more agressive he could be our starting Center for years to come

Not necessarily. You just need a guy that has that aggressive attitude to play alongside him, whether it be at power forward and Vucevic stays at center, or even a guy that would allow Vucevic to slide down to power forward. There needs to be a defensive presence in there somewhere.

Personally, I like Vucevic better at the 4.

Thanks for looking into that. Is that it? I assumed it was a short list, but definitely wasnt thinking Hickson. I find it a little funny how we were all willing to give Howard years to develop, and defend his shortcomings along the way, yet are so quick to point out every and all of Nik's flaws. Maybe its our collective frame of reference? In retrospect, Nik should have been a top 5 pick last year and about 20-25 teams in the league would be happy to have him. He's going to get better, even if only incrementally...but he's already got some intangibles that can't really be taught (rebounding, mid range game). He's never going to be Dwight, and I'm totally fine with that. He doesn't have to be a top 5 center in the league to be a valuable asset and our starting center moving forward...but I think he will be.

Asik is 26, but he's doing the same.

Who said he was like Marc Gasol?

I said he was being compared to Gasol. And it was you when you said that you hoped he would be Gasol-ish. I understand that you aren't saying he currently plays like Gasol but, when you make a statement like you did, it leads the reader to believe that you currently see things in Vucevic's game that reminds you of Gasol. And that is a comparison.

And that comparison still doesn't make any sense to me.

Go to bed? I'm a grown man, don't quite get that? Like I said before, and the point still stands, he's 22 and averaging a double double. Name all the big men under 25 that are doing that, just out of curiousity.

Look, I'm going to need you to slow down and read before you post. How old you are is irrelevant. I could care less. There was no statement in addition to the original comment given about his ago or any other disclaimers.

"Nik Vucevic is becoming one of the best centers in basketball and if you can't see it, you're blind." This is the comment I responded to in it's exact form. See how there's no mention of his age? No, "he's a great rising center doing excellent work at his age." Nothing at all like that. Just that right now, becoming one of the best, Centers, and in the league. That's it.

I will repeat myself one more time. Is he a decent center, especially for his age? Yes. Is he among the best? No. There are many many many other better centers in the league right now. People who solely play that position let alone the multi position players. For the last time. Read what I'm writing and what exactly I'm responding I will just stop responding to you because I'm not going to waste my time talking to a wall.

Edit: In addition, no he doesn't need any more touches. He gets plenty in the post. He has a weak jump shot and needs no further time to attempt to handle the ball. Like I stated earlier, butter fingers.

He's probably a top 10 center going forward. That really says more about the lack of quality centers than it does about his talent level. if centers were as deep as point guards, he'd be a career backup.

With development, sure. I mean I like the guy. I'm just trying to be realistic. He's most definitely not a top 10 right now. His defense alone attests to that but, he has been doing far better than I expected. Which is nothing because I just didn't know what to expect. Just automatically put the bar really low for this team so that I could be pleasantly surprised. Anyway, point is, just not right now. My only issue is that with no range game it takes away from his value for me because I don't see him being a force defensively. Like others have stated, people don't generally just become aggressive. You either are or you aren't so I am just worried it won't be very balanced or just not enough of one to offset the lack of the other.

Look, I'm going to need you to slow down and read before you post. How old you are is irrelevant. I could care less. There was no statement in addition to the original comment given about his ago or any other disclaimers.

"Nik Vucevic is becoming one of the best centers in basketball and if you can't see it, you're blind." This is the comment I responded to in it's exact form. See how there's no mention of his age? No, "he's a great rising center doing excellent work at his age." Nothing at all like that. Just that right now, becoming one of the best, Centers, and in the league. That's it.

I will repeat myself one more time. Is he a decent center, especially for his age? Yes. Is he among the best? No. There are many many many other better centers in the league right now. People who solely play that position let alone the multi position players. For the last time. Read what I'm writing and what exactly I'm responding I will just stop responding to you because I'm not going to waste my time talking to a wall.

Edit: In addition, no he doesn't need any more touches. He gets plenty in the post. He has a weak jump shot and needs no further time to attempt to handle the ball. Like I stated earlier, butter fingers.

He is one, if not the, best centers in the game at his age. If you disagree, please tell me who's better at under 25yrs old? Hopefully he becomes more aggressive as he matures, fills out his frame, and becomes comfortable in his role as a starter...as many young big men do. There's really no reason to believe he won't at least make incremental gains which would make him a solid NBA center at worst and quite possibly an all-star.

He is one, if not the, best centers in the game at his age. If you disagree, please tell me who's better at under 25yrs old? Hopefully he becomes more aggressive as he matures, fills out his frame, and becomes comfortable in his role as a starter...as many young big men do. There's really no reason to believe he won't at least make incremental gains which would make him a solid NBA center at worst and quite possibly an all-star.

...done

Edit: THERE ARE FEW OTHER TEAMS HAVE TO PLAY KIDS AT THE CENTER POSITION BECAUSE THEY HAVE BETTER PLAYERS. EVEN SO THAT WASN'T WHAT I WAS RESPONDING TO! DAMNIT!

Yes, for 22 years old he's doing well but considering him top tier right now is a bit much. The guy definitely has the tools to make some great improvements and eventually if healthy could become a top center. Right now, his confidence is increasing with every game and with that confidence boost comes his increasing toughness. His rebounding is getting better each game, he doesn't hesitate on that mid range j, and he's there for that tip in when need be. Vuc is doing awesome right now and we should just leave it at that.

Yes, for 22 years old he's doing well but considering him top tier right now is a bit much. The guy definitely has the tools to make some great improvements and eventually if healthy could become a top center. Right now, his confidence is increasing with every game and with that confidence boost comes his increasing toughness. His rebounding is getting better each game, he doesn't hesitate on that mid range j, and he's there for that tip in when need be. Vuc is doing awesome right now and we should just leave it at that.

r

Agree. He may have missed the clutch 3 against NOLA but he stepped up and took the shot when the ball was given to him and he needed to --- and it wasn't a bad shot either. Had he hit that, this thread would likely be twice as long by now.

I'm just throwing this out there but, I don't ever want to see another post centered offense here. It seems to kill player movement and makes the team predictable. Give me a guy that plays within the offense, hits shots when they are there and will work in the post a few times a game. That and I would also like him to rebound, set picks, show on the pick and roll, get back to his man in a timely manner and block a few shots...is that too much to ask?

• Upvote 1

I'm just throwing this out there but, I don't ever want to see another post centered offense here. It seems to kill player movement and makes the team predictable. Give me a guy that plays within the offense, hits shots when they are there and will work in the post a few times a game. That and I would also like him to rebound, set picks, show on the pick and roll, get back to his man in a timely manner and block a few shots...is that too much to ask?

Agreed

I want a go-to superstar swingman to build our team around.

Nik's biggest problem is he goes up softly to often, he has to get stronger and finish plays with dunks i think when he does add that strength he will be better on the block, his jump shot has gotten better, and he rebounds very well also i see the potential for him to pick up alot of assists down the road