Orlando Magic Toaster

Is Anyone else enjoying watching the Lakers?

I know some of you will laugh at this as a conspiracy theory, but watch the league office and the officiating make sure the Lakers get into the playoffs. It was crucial for them to win tonight, Utah won and a Laker loss would have dropped them to 9th. And so they win tonight by 2 points. After shooting 50 free throws, to the 16 shot by GSW. I will go just a little ways out on a limb, and say the thought of a Kobe - LeBron matchup is just way more than Stern can resist. Watch the officiating crews make sure the Lakers "win" the west. The NBA is a farce.

Emetic call on Kobe's injury. Talk about being a superstar (in a team that allows you to be one, that is).

He starts to drive, hurts inside, falls down, ref calls a foul. Jeez.

I know some of you will laugh at this as a conspiracy theory, but watch the league office and the officiating make sure the Lakers get into the playoffs. It was crucial for them to win tonight, Utah won and a Laker loss would have dropped them to 9th. And so they win tonight by 2 points. After shooting 50 free throws, to the 16 shot by GSW. I will go just a little ways out on a limb, and say the thought of a Kobe - LeBron matchup is just way more than Stern can resist. Watch the officiating crews make sure the Lakers "win" the west. The NBA is a farce.

Welp you may not have to worry about that now, Kobe is out for the rest of the season most likely, and if they still make the playoffs too.

Welp you may not have to worry about that now, Kobe is out for the rest of the season most likely, and if they still make the playoffs too.

Lakers are going to need to win as many games as the Jazz out of the next two to make the playoffs. Lakers play at home vs Spurs and Rockets. Jazz play away both games, at Timberwolves and Grizzlies. I can see both teams going 1-1. I can also see them both going 0-2. Lakers will have the advantage of home court and whistles, but the Jazz will be playing a weaker team in Minny. The Spurs haven't been great due to injuries, so that game is a toss up. And last game of the season, I don't see Houston having anything to play for, so the Lakers are probably in the best position to make the playoffs. For the Jazz, Minny will want to prove themselves and I think Memphis is just too good.

I think the Lakers might have some of that "best player down" syndrome, where teams tend to play above their actual talent levels for a game or two after their best play goes down (luckily for them, there are only two games left in the season).

I had not seen the part where he injured his ankle, so it hinges now on how long he will be out. If there is any possibility that he can be back during the playoffs then watch it happen. If the injury is more severe it is likely the powers that be will let the Jazz back into the playoffs to avoid embarrassing the Lakers. We will need the MRI results but there is a good chance the Jazz will get the 8th slot now. We also need to see if this injury is severe enough to impact next season, in which case he really does need to retire. I still point out, one team shooting 50 free throws and the other shooting 16 is not right.

I had not seen the part where he injured his ankle, so it hinges now on how long he will be out. If there is any possibility that he can be back during the playoffs then watch it happen. If the injury is more severe it is likely the powers that be will let the Jazz back into the playoffs to avoid embarrassing the Lakers. We will need the MRI results but there is a good chance the Jazz will get the 8th slot now. We also need to see if this injury is severe enough to impact next season, in which case he really does need to retire. I still point out, one team shooting 50 free throws and the other shooting 16 is not right.

[/quo

You point out what happened last night but Ive been watching the Lakers vs opponents ft attempts (particularly 4th quarter) for the last 6 weeks and last night is not just a fluke. Nearly every night over that period its been nearly 2/1 in free throws. Kobe brought LA back the night before in the 4th but nearly every play was a and one when he shot it. 14 free throws in the 4th quarter for Kobe after 0 in the first 3. You do the math!

On the flip side the two obvious playoff teams competing with the Lakers for the 8th spot (Dallas ad Utah) have got no whistles at all. Often they look just the opposite of the Lakers over that period. I would imagine these trends were not the case earlier in the year before Stern knew Dallas and Utah were competing for the final spot. Let me tell you if you like to bet you can use these obvious trends in your favor down the stretch. Playing the OVER on players point totals for players who shoot the free throws (see Kobe pre achillies, Dwight and Pau). It is a gift from David Stern if you play it.

The NBA is on par with the WWE and thats fact in my book!

Kobe is out 6 to 9 months. Part of me wants the Lakers get embarrassed in the 1st round. The other part wants them not to make it, but you know ESPN would spin it to how its all because Kobe got injured.

Dont doubt Vince McMahon...uhhhh...David Stern turning the OKC LA series to seven games for some extra revenue. Im sure the officiating will remind everyone of the Magic Celts series when we last went to the finals. You know the one. Where Rondo had more foul shots in one quarter than our whole team combined and then 2 games later Paul Wheel Chair Pierce had the same exact once in a lifetime experience at the free throw line.

I think the injury to Kobe might make it a challenge for the Lakers to qualify for the play offs. They have two tough games at home against the Spurs and Rockets, and neither is an easy game. If Dwight and Gasol step up and play at their dominant best, then they'll have a good chance at potentially winning both games, but it will be a tough ask for them.

The further problem is that the Jazz own the tiebreaker. So the only way to ensure the play offs is to win both games, unless of course the Lakers win their next game and the Jazz lose. Though personally I don't see the Lakers winning one game, let alone both. The Spurs still have a very limited chance at securing the top seed if OKC falter, and the Rockets will probably want to beat Golden State to 6th place to avoid facing the Spurs or OKC - though Denver isn't exactly a pushover or easy series. With that in mind the Lakers are facing two teams with something left to play for, whereas the jazz don't to an extent. So as it stands I think the scales are tipped in the favor of the Jazz, but it is the Lakers place to lose.

That said, neither really have a good chance to get past OKC. I see both teams getting swept (and I include in this a Kobe Bryant led Lakers team). For me, I'm going for the Jazz to oust them after going 1-1 in their remaining games, and the Lakers going 0-2.

I think the injury to Kobe might make it a challenge for the Lakers to qualify for the play offs. They have two tough games at home against the Spurs and Rockets, and neither is an easy game. If Dwight and Gasol step up and play at their dominant best, then they'll have a good chance at potentially winning both games, but it will be a tough ask for them.

The further problem is that the Jazz own the tiebreaker. So the only way to ensure the play offs is to win both games, unless of course the Lakers win their next game and the Jazz lose. Though personally I don't see the Lakers winning one game, let alone both. The Spurs still have a very limited chance at securing the top seed if OKC falter, and the Rockets will probably want to beat Golden State to 6th place to avoid facing the Spurs or OKC - though Denver isn't exactly a pushover or easy series. With that in mind the Lakers are facing two teams with something left to play for, whereas the jazz don't to an extent. So as it stands I think the scales are tipped in the favor of the Jazz, but it is the Lakers place to lose.

That said, neither really have a good chance to get past OKC. I see both teams getting swept (and I include in this a Kobe Bryant led Lakers team). For me, I'm going for the Jazz to oust them after going 1-1 in their remaining games, and the Lakers going 0-2.

Until LA shoots 40 fts/game, helping to ensure they keep winning...