Catalina Maria

Dwight Howard Appreciation Thread

Oh, I don't know, let me think........

Well, there was that one time where he straight up lied about trying to get SVG fired on national television just mere moments after SVG told all of us the truth. Oh, that little lie? I wouldn't worry about that little lie.............

Hahaha I knew someone would bring that up, technically he didn't lie. The question was asked did he ask for SVG to get fired this season and he said he didn't. Then in the interview on Espn(I forget who with) he was asked this season and then it was worded to anytime and he said he had just not this season. Management even went out and then agreed that Dwight never asked during the current season.

Anyway I'm done talking about this and it's my opinion you don't have to agree. It really gets annoying though to read these poor woe us posts on here when the guy had every right to ask for a trade in his final season. Carmelo did the same thing and got nowhere near the burn but that's because the organization moved swiftly and didn't carry it out all season, they did it the right way. As far as the list of demands what should he say? Hey I'll play anywhere? Give me a break Houston still would have been fine with renting him or just could have flipped him for Bynum. Devos thought he owed it to Dwight to send him somewhere he wanted to go.

What did he lie about?

LOYALTY!!!

Also, he did not sign the opt-in because he was promised moves would be made, the Magic gave him multiple opportunities NOT to sign the opt-in. He wanted to sign it on the plane ride back home, and when the plane landed in Orlando but Otis wouldn't let him. He told him to sleep on it and Dwight still wanted to sign it the next day. He was never promised anything- that story was "media driven" as you say.

So, the media kept forcing Dwight to come out and repeat his demand trades, forced him to come out and handcuff the team in terms of trade partners by continually stating he would only re-sign with a certain team(s), made him go on and on about loyalty when he agreed to revoke his ability to be a free agent this summer, commanded him to not attend his summer camp, and even went so far as to send him to L.A. during our season, never to return again.

The media is a real jerk sometimes.

During a news conference on Thursday, Magic center Dwight Howard said that loyalty to the team and to the city of Orlando drove his decision to stay for another year.

"I'm not like those guys that people try to pay me to be. I'm loyal,'' Howard said. "I just love this city too much. I want to win a championship."

Howard said it all came down to loyalty to a city and a team that took a chance on an 18-year-old high school kid eight years ago.

Howard signed papers Thursday agreeing to waive the early termination option in his contract, guaranteeing he will be with the Magic at the beginning of the 2012-13 season. His decision ends the season-long drama of whether he would be dealt prior to the trade deadline and before the Magic risked losing him in free agency.

The Magic center had the option of ending his five-year deal in July and entering the open market.

Howard called it an extremely difficult decision.

"I'm glad this is finally over," Howard said at a press conference to announce the new pact. "...It's not as easy as some people think. It's been very hard. We're talking a career-changing event. Most people don't see that. I'm very loyal and I've always put loyalty above anything."

Spin that.

I've never understood the mindset of putting any one player above the team. Thoughts like, "Dwight deserves to win," or "He should go somewhere where he can win a ring," elude me. Since when does any player "deserve" a ring? Or even a chance at one? At what point do the team and the fanbase deserve a ring?

What players deserve is a paycheck, and Dwight was getting one. A big one.

I'm sorry, but no player will ever be bigger than the Orlando Magic.

• Upvote 3

Hahaha I knew someone would bring that up, technically he didn't lie. The question was asked did he ask for SVG to get fired this season and he said he didn't. Then in the interview on Espn(I forget who with) he was asked this season and then it was worded to anytime and he said he had just not this season. Management even went out and then agreed that Dwight never asked during the current season.

So, what you are saying is that Dwight did ask for Stan to be fired but he didn't do it during the season. Therefore, when Dwight was asked point blank if he asked for Stan to be fired and he said no, it wasn't lying because in his simple mind he thought the media was only asking him if he wanted the coach to be fired during the season. Am I interpreting what you are saying correctly?

By the way, even if you want to pretend that the media deliberately phased the question with "this season" - and they didn't by the way. I'll happily provide the youtube clip to prove it - its still a clear case of Dwight being dishonest. Am I really supposed to think, "Oh gee, I guess since the reporter said 'this season' in their questions that Dwight has a loophole to say whatever he damn well wants." I'll also ignore the fact that he was asked the question on multiple occasions, on almost every night, and I'm will to bet that not all of them included the words "this season" right before he vehemently denied it.

Screw it, I just watched the video again and I'm not going to wait for you to tell me to post the video. Watch it and tell me at what point any of the reporters used the phrase "this season". The man stood there and lied repeatedly.

So, what you are saying is that Dwight did ask for Stan to be fired but he didn't do it during the season. Therefore, when Dwight was asked point blank if he asked for Stan to be fired and he said no, it wasn't lying because in his simple mind he thought the media was only asking him if he wanted the coach to be fired during the season. Am I interpreting what you are saying correctly?

By the way, even if you want to pretend that the media deliberately phased the question with "this season" - and they didn't by the way. I'll happily provide the youtube clip to prove it - its still a clear case of Dwight being dishonest. Am I really supposed to think, "Oh gee, I guess since the reporter said 'this season' in their questions that Dwight has a loophole to say whatever he damn well wants." I'll also ignore the fact that he was asked the question on multiple occasions, on almost every night, and I'm will to bet that not all of them included the words "this season" right before he vehemently denied it.

Screw it, I just watched the video again and I'm not going to wait for you to tell me to post the video. Watch it and tell me at what point any of the reporters used the phrase "this season". The man stood there and lied repeatedly.

Nice try but the question posed was off David Pings article in which he stated that Dwight recently called Devos to ask for his firing. That is what I was referring to and that is what they were answering. In the ESPN interview he is asked did he recently or this season ask for SVG to be fired and he says no. Then a follow up is asked and they say have you ever and he says yes but they talked trough that or something. This has all been reported so i don't know the what the big deal is. I think everybody on this board should just move on and appreciate the future this team has and don't blame the guy that brought this franchise back to life. Howards blame in this is marginal compared to everybody above him. Hey I could be wrong but I have SVG saying it's true meanwhile you have David Ping.

• Upvote 1

Hey I could be wrong

There's no could be about it sunshine... You're here defending someone who doesn't deserve any defending.. He handled the situation miserably and he was terrible to the fans and the city of Orlando.. I don't give a **** about management, we all know they played a role in why Dwight's not here anymore as well, but to excuse Dwight is just stupid..

I was on Dwight's side through a lot of this. Even at the end, right before he was traded (ie. forced us to trade him to a team he wanted to go to and getting *****-all in return), I was willing to welcome him back if he had stayed with the team. But even then, I was souring on him.

I think my opinion started to change when he told management to "roll the dice."

Why then? Well, that was when it became clear that not only did Dwight want to leave the Magic, but he wanted to leave it in shambles. He didn't just want to go to a better opportunity, he wanted to really screw the Magic organization over in the process.

Maybe I'm just being sensitive, but what Dwight tried to pull with that 'roll the dice' move was far worse than what Shaq did, far worse than what LeBron did: it was deliberately deceptive. He wanted to go to Brooklyn in the offseason, but didn't want Brooklyn to lose any draft picks or players from their roster. In short, he wanted to check out a year early, ***** the Magic over in the process when they 'rolled the dice,' and give a long, stinkfinger to the whole city of Orlando and all the fans who follow the team that took a risk on a 17 year-old kid over a proven collegiate star.

Yes, the organization let him down with the roster and especially with their moves in recent years, but there were better, more professional ways to go about this. He could have played out his contract, he could have kept his mouth shut so the Magic wouldn't be eviscerated in a trade, he could have done any number of things. But no: what he did was throw the organization, the fans, the team completely under the bus.

I liked #12 that helped our team and played for our team. Whoever this guy is that plays for LA can go ***** himself. Now that he's off our team? I seriously hope he gets injured - there should be some karmatic cost for being THAT huge of a douchebag.

• Upvote 2

I was on Dwight's side through a lot of this. Even at the end, right before he was traded (ie. forced us to trade him to a team he wanted to go to and getting *****-all in return), I was willing to welcome him back if he had stayed with the team. But even then, I was souring on him.

I think my opinion started to change when he told management to "roll the dice."

Why then? Well, that was when it became clear that not only did Dwight want to leave the Magic, but he wanted to leave it in shambles. He didn't just want to go to a better opportunity, he wanted to really screw the Magic organization over in the process.

Maybe I'm just being sensitive, but what Dwight tried to pull with that 'roll the dice' move was far worse than what Shaq did, far worse than what LeBron did: it was deliberately deceptive. He wanted to go to Brooklyn in the offseason, but didn't want Brooklyn to lose any draft picks or players from their roster. In short, he wanted to check out a year early, ***** the Magic over in the process when they 'rolled the dice,' and give a long, stinkfinger to the whole city of Orlando and all the fans who follow the team that took a risk on a 17 year-old kid over a proven collegiate star.

Yes, the organization let him down with the roster and especially with their moves in recent years, but there were better, more professional ways to go about this. He could have played out his contract, he could have kept his mouth shut so the Magic wouldn't be eviscerated in a trade, he could have done any number of things. But no: what he did was throw the organization, the fans, the team completely under the bus.

I liked #12 that helped our team and played for our team. Whoever this guy is that plays for LA can go ***** himself. Now that he's off our team? I seriously hope he gets injured - there should be some karmatic cost for being THAT huge of a douchebag.

I hear you and I understand your what your saying and can understand why you would feel that way. I guess my main thing is that the Dwight we watched grow up and blossom in this league doesn't seem like the type to act like this. I feel like their is a lot we don't know because I don't think it went down the way people are spinning it. He loved this city and the fans to much no matter how he felt about management and coaches. I think Dwight will come out and talk eventually and I think his version will be much different. I mean you already have SVG who knows more than all of us putting the blame on management and saying it isn't Dwights fault. So I don't know how most still have this opinion that I just think is more fear of not being able to rebuild and the fact this always happens to this franchise. Once again I'm not absolving Dwight his communication skills were lacking to say the least but to Hate the guy and wish harm on his career? Thats insane we still have a team and Dwight is free to play wherever he wants.

• Upvote 1

I hear you and I understand your what your saying and can understand why you would feel that way. I guess my main thing is that the Dwight we watched grow up and blossom in this league doesn't seem like the type to act like this. I feel like their is a lot we don't know because I don't think it went down the way people are spinning it. He loved this city and the fans to much no matter how he felt about management and coaches. I think Dwight will come out and talk eventually and I think his version will be much different. I mean you already have SVG who knows more than all of us putting the blame on management and saying it isn't Dwights fault. So I don't know how most still have this opinion that I just think is more fear of not being able to rebuild and the fact this always happens to this franchise. Once again I'm not absolving Dwight his communication skills were lacking to say the least but to Hate the guy and wish harm on his career? Thats insane we still have a team and Dwight is free to play wherever he wants.

He just has a good PR person - I'd say that actions speak a lot louder than words and Dwights actions in the last year have screamed volumes.

I'm sorry but Dwight shouldn't be bashed, management should. They continually over spent on players who were past their prime. If I was Howard I would want out too. He was stuck in the worst spot being a 4th or 5th seed for the next 3 years. Every team around him was getting better and younger and our cap kept going up. Dwight Howard leaving was the only way to fix this mess and it may suck for a couple years but I feel like we have the right management in place not to make the same mistakes again(Alex martins needs to go).

I thank Dwight for the run he gave us and watching him develop and his personality has been great over the years. I wish we could have built a better team around him and kept him here his whole career but I honestly hope he beats the Heats ass next year. I am looking forward to this rebuilding and can't wait to see what Hennigan has in store for us!

They both deserve the blame. Dwight's insistence to be traded obviously prevented management from improving the roster at all post-lockout. Dwight's Magic career officially ended when Atlanta knocked Orlando out of the playoffs in 2011.

By your logic Dirk would've left Dallas before he won with them.