Live or Die Magic

2012 MAGIC Offseason Thread

Not sure if it was posted earlier, but now Rob Murphy is staying at EMU.

Yeah, it sucks for us. EMU was going after him for $200k for breaching his contract.

I would love to have one more young promising player, which is why I was hoping Evans could get swapped for Al. But we forget that vuca, harkless Nicholson and oquinn all fit that bill. If we go too young we would be hurting because young guys can't handle losing this much and team morale would be very poor. We need that veteran balance. But one more young guy would be nice, especially at point.

How serious were Rob's efforts to negotiate with SAC and is he still trying to obtain Reke?

Am I the only one who thinks signing T-Mac would be a good idea? If the Magic can rid of Q-Rich's contract (although I am a fan of him and his "cheerleading"), they might as well sign T-Mac to give that veteran experience to the team. He probably wouldn't touch the court much, but he'd sell jerseys and it would be nice to see him back in Orlando.

I may be biased because I love T-Mac but it's not like he's getting any other offers.

He's not getting any other offers because he can no longer play. The Magic are looking for young players that can develop for the future. McGrady represents the exact opposite of that view. It's also important to note that McGrady hasn't exactly taken the rapid drop-off in his game very well. He's complained about a lack of minutes on at least a few occasions the past few years. That's not what the Magic need.

Anyone up for trying to project future potential trade partners?

Possible Glen Davis suitors

-LAC(need muscle inside)

-TOR(Trying to make the playoffs, need toughness inside)

-Philly(severe lack of PF depth)

-NYK(if Amare has issues again PF is a big need)

Possible Al Harrington suitors

-OKC(Need firepower off the bench besides Harden)

-Philly(Once again lack of PF depth and need scoring)

-Boston(with KG getting alot more 5 mins, Harrington fits the culture perfectly)

I'm trying to just limit our vets to contenders for the most part.

TPE wise there are several teams up against the cap, I definitely see the potential for some draft pick laden deals as Denton alluded to

-LAC(need muscle inside)

-Boston(with KG getting alot more 5 mins, Harrington fits the culture perfectly)

TPE wise there are several teams up against the cap, I definitely see the potential for some draft pick laden deals as Denton alluded to

Why would we want draft picks from contenders? Late 1sts are not valuable in most cases. Nobody would give a 1st for Al Harrington and why get rid of Baby? I mean we still have to fill the seats somehow to a brand new arena and a high payroll. With the team constructed we are going to lose a lot of games, trading those two guys for picks we might be the Charlotte Bobcats going into one of the worst drafts ever. Harrington will get dealt at some point but I think Baby stays unless someobody makes a ridiculous offer we can't refuse.

Just looked at the roster and saw that Moe came from St. Johns. I hopefully have a new favorite.

This little information nugget has always intrigued me when we were all talking about targeting Mo in this years draft. Knowing that Nelson came from there and did a terrific job. Maybe Nelson will have that inside track on bringing him along and showing the ropes the right way.

Then he was drafted before our pick and that just went out the window until now.

Not sure if it was posted earlier, but now Rob Murphy is staying at EMU.

I just heard what happened here. Apparently Murphy was never leaving EMU? He was offered the position and he declined it but someone in the media started the rumor that he had accepted and I guess the story blew up from there.

or something along those lines.

-LAC(need muscle inside)

Trading Glen would be a very low intelligence move on our part.... like firing SVG.

• Upvote 2

I e-mailed Thorpedo himself and this is what the man had to say with regard to Harkless and the Magic.

Harkless is, right now, an NBA level PF in terms of talent and ability and this is packed into an NBA SF’s body. A very large SF’s body, but still a SF. Maurice has a lot of untapped intangibles. Like many players of his caliber, these qualities are there but what will he do with them?

At the end of the day his athleticism and productivity in one college season are too enticing to pass up. I had Moe ranked top 12 in terms of talent/size/overall and thought 16th was somewhat of a slap in the face to him considering players taken before him.

I would say in your team’s situation Harkless is a great asset for the rebuilding Magic at the end of the day. It wont really matter if in 3 seasons he’s out of the league but if he blows up Rob Hennigan looks like a genius and everyone is happy. Harkless is a good horse to place a bet like this on from my view point.

In my e-mail I asked if the blogophere's Ariza comparisons we're accurate because I didn't exactly see Ariza in Hark's game.

Ariza is a decent comparison but I look more at someone like James Posey for a more accurate mold. Passer, shot blocker, defender, active hands, not a great jumper, good rebounder, great open court player, not a shooter, good hands around the cup.

so there we go.

This little information nugget has always intrigued me when we were all talking about targeting Mo in this years draft. Knowing that Nelson came from there and did a terrific job. Maybe Nelson will have that inside track on bringing him along and showing the ropes the right way.

Then he was drafted before our pick and that just went out the window until now.

Meer played at Saint Joseph's, not St. John's

I e-mailed Thorpedo himself and this is what the man had to say with regard to Harkless and the Magic.

In my e-mail I asked if the blogophere's Ariza comparisons we're accurate because I didn't exactly see Ariza in Hark's game.

so there we go.

Good stuff, Junkie! smile_creaturedance.gifNo, real good stuff ! smile.gif

Meer went to St. Joseph's along with Delonte West, Dwayne Jones and Tyronn Barley. Ron Artest on the other hand went to St. John's.