Live or Die Magic

2012 MAGIC Offseason Thread

point guards we should probably check out in possible trades

josh selby or tony wroten from memphis. they already have conley and bayless at pg and tony allen and wayne ellington at sg so i'm not sure they keep both selby and wroten.

reggie jackson from okc

maybe sebastian telfair from phoenix (though he's 27 so meh).

Nolan smith from portland (though it might take too much to get him)

SA has 17 players on their roster right now. we should try to raid their roster cuts.

JJ and ayon or mcroberts for wes matthews and nolan smith makes a lot of sense.

Wroten would be a good fit. How's Memphis doing on backup PFs? Because we have about 20 of them...

Well, hard to say what Hennigan will do really. I wouldn't be too surprised if the entire TPE wasn't used.

I think, if I am reading into the whole "flexibility" comment is that the TPE gives them freedom to make a trade for someone and not have to worry about how to make all the contracts match. So deals in essence become a little easier because they are not haggling or deals falling through over "throw-ins".

Also, I think "it's a process", means that they aren't just going after guys to just use the TPE before it expires. They have to fit the vision and they have to have workable contracts.

I think they have an ideal Magic player mold (Afflalo) and they'll look for guys that fit that mold. (Young, coachable, team-oriented, high character, and good contract value).

Thanks i understand it better now. From what i read somewhere else i thought it's only purpose was to allow us to sign a player for up to that amount if we were over the cap, basically adding 17.6 million to our cap space. I.didn't know it could assist us with making other moves

I wouldn't be shocked too see a deal for Will Bynum before camp.

i agree, but who would Detroit want? They have their own front court players to develop.

Thanks i understand it better now. From what i read somewhere else i thought it's only purpose was to allow us to sign a player for up to that amount if we were over the cap, basically adding 17.6 million to our cap space. I.didn't know it could assist us with making other moves

I saw someone explain it as a coupon. Since salaries have to be within a certain percent of each other and you want a guy that makes $8m a year but only want to send out a guy that makes $4m a year. The TPE makes up the other $4m. Without that TPE you would have to try and find another guy on your team, or multiple guys from each team, till you get to matching salaries.

i agree, but who would Detroit want? They have their own front court players to develop.

Yeah, I don't think Detroit needs any of the bigs we could offer. Maybe if they think Harrington can be a nice scoring option for them, but the contract even with the unguaranteed money after the season may scare them.

A JJ for Bynum deal may work for them, but I'm not sure I'd do it. I'd honestly be fine with Ish as the backup PG. We just need to find a way to shed the excess PF weight we have.

I saw someone explain it as a coupon. Since salaries have to be within a certain percent of each other and you want a guy that makes $8m a year but only want to send out a guy that makes $4m a year. The TPE makes up the other $4m. Without that TPE you would have to try and find another guy on your team, or multiple guys from each team, till you get to matching salaries.

close, but not allowed. You can't combine a TPE + Player as a package. The TPE has to be used on its own to trade for 1 player or a a group of players that fit within the TPE salary.

close, but not allowed. You can't combine a TPE + Player as a package. The TPE has to be used on its own to trade for 1 player or a a group of players that fit within the TPE salary.

ok, thanks for the clarification Nyce1. Can it be combined with a draft pick?

Are we having a presser for the new guys?

Like a certain moderator on this board says: the more pressers the better. Long live the presser!