Live or Die Magic

The Dwight Howard Drama Unfolds

Did I miss something here? Was what Stan said not the truth? How can Dwight be upset with the team not standing up for him when all it was was someone finally saying the truth? The Magic were supposed to lie? SVG was gone anyways, and I like that he went out with both guns blazing. He's tried for many years to get this kid to grow the *blank* up and start taking command of his team on the floor, and himself at the FT line. Dwight's too busy shooting movies or commercials or rap albums or whatever the crap else he's doing that ISN'T working on FTs or becoming the leader he portrays himself as, so SVG (you know, the guy who never really seems to hold anything back) didn't hold anything back.

Mike Brown SVG was sacrificed as a means to entice Lebron Howard to stay, but it didn't work. Now, with the potential for all these new, young players to be added to our roster, we could probably use the coach that was actually really good at developing young talent (provided they're willing to put in work), but if I were SVG, I'd tell the Magic to go pound sand if they tried to rehire me.

I don't think anyone here in theory disagrees with you, and probably everyone also admires SVG's willingness to say what he believes. But their is such a thing as tact that needs to be used in situations like these. You simply don't discuss internal matters of your organization with the media. Now Dwight has been acting like a little child this whole time yeah, and has had his people leaking stuff everywhere and gone back and forth on every word he has spoken.

But you know what, I expect that from Dwight. I expect a millionaire 26 year old who has never had to work a real job his whole life and has a corrupt agent dictating his every move to act like a spoiled brat. I did not however expect someone who has carried himself with so much professionalism, integrity, and intelligence for the last 5 years as SVG has to make such an unprofessional move. SVG may not have lowered himself to Dwight's level, but he definitely slipped way down on the integrity pole when he pulled that. Dwight was already embarrassing the organization as it was. For SVG to go out and expose what is going on in the Orlando office and humiliate the office even more was a classless move. Nothing about it made the situation better, it made an even bigger headache for the fans, and in my opinion was only done for SVG's own thoughts of revenge.

• Upvote 1

takes more than 1 good player to win a ring these days, all these things you say are funny, because the minute he leaves, we're a lotto team

Definitely. It takes a team of "good" players to win these days.

Maybe I'm too simple.... Because when I hear people say they can't win a ring in a location (even after going to the finals), knowing full well that 30 teams will never see the finals... I laugh and assume your crazy as hell.

We had a chance and fell short.... But that doesn't mean you can never win a ring here.... As some ppl have suggested.

Like I said, the only person who is preventing Dwight from being a champion is Dwight himself.

I'd buy that. I'd also buy that this team would have been better off with a slasher. 'Meer was that guy when he made the AllStar team (incidentally the year we also made the finals....that's not a coincidence). And Dwight was not averaging 20ppg that year, either.

I love the fact Dwight wants to be the offensive focus of the team, but Dwight is NOT that guy. Dwight is not a Shaq, Kareem, or Olajuwan. He's Dwight. If I had to pick a great center that Dwight was most like, it would be Bill Russell, but Russell also knew his strengths and weaknesses and was an absolutely ferocious leader. Dwight's....not. I'm sorry, he's just lacking leadership qualities. I won't go so far as to say that's something you're born with, but it doesn't hurt to have a natural talent with people (beyond being a clown) and you have to actually work at it.

If Dwight ever wants to win a championship, he needs to stop trying to be something he's not and he DEFINITELY needs to stop listening to Shaq.

Spot on

cute+meme.png

What I can't "ding" anyone anymore..... Man what a sad day this is....

First there is no real progress in the Dwightuation.

Then we still haven't officially signed JV(G), I mean a HC.

Now I can't ding anyone like Jareth,LOD,Echo/Capt,Sky, KB,30 Assists, ect....... lol ....j/k

• Downvote 1

For those wanting Dwight to be a better leader I say "of who?" The talent assembled around him was deplorable. You want him to get in Duhon's face or maybe Ish Smith. Im sure "leading" talent like that will take us all the way. The reason Dwight wants to play elsewhere is that none of the talent on the roster is/was worthy of a championship run let alone a playoff run. Considering the endless collection of boneheaded moves and the long term disaster that was created why shouldn't he get frustrated? Considering the fact that most likely Otis would still be calliing the shots still if Dwight hadnt forced Martins and Devos to can him why shouldnt he be frustrated. That the ownership/upper level management just sat by idly and let the disaster unfold without really caring or in fact being too stupid to see what was happening to the club and Dwight had to force the issue and subsequently look like a jerk. I get it. Its not his job to over see that but he found himself in that position for better or worse. Hopefully, Henny does what I think he is capable of doing and Dwight gives him a chance to work a few anti-Otis type trades. Regardless of the talent on the Heat our team can be devastating with just a couple more pieces and some time to "marinate".

He opted in for another 'year'

No its not, you gotta remember last years Magic team beat the Heat twice. James and Wade struggle against teams with an inside presence. Add a borderline all-star with Dwight in Orlando and the Heat would struggle to beat the Magic

Didn't he say a couple of weeks ago that he asked for a trade before the Stan fiasco? Why would he ask to be traded before giving the Magic a chance at getting a star to play along with him? If he opted in because they promised to give him a star to play along side of him than why did he ask for a trade a couple of months after?

• Upvote 1

For those wanting Dwight to be a better leader I say "of who?" The talent assembled around him was deplorable. You want him to get in Duhon's face or maybe Ish Smith. Im sure "leading" talent like that will take us all the way. The reason Dwight wants to play elsewhere is that none of the talent on the roster is/was worthy of a championship run let alone a playoff run. Considering the endless collection of boneheaded moves and the long term disaster that was created why shouldn't he get frustrated? Considering the fact that most likely Otis would still be calliing the shots still if Dwight hadnt forced Martins and Devos to can him why shouldnt he be frustrated. That the ownership/upper level management just sat by idly and let the disaster unfold without really caring or in fact being too stupid to see what was happening to the club and Dwight had to force the issue and subsequently look like a jerk. I get it. Its not his job to over see that but he found himself in that position for better or worse. Hopefully, Henny does what I think he is capable of doing and Dwight gives him a chance to work a few anti-Otis type trades. Regardless of the talent on the Heat our team can be devastating with just a couple more pieces and some time to "marinate".

I agree with much of what you say, but the business aspect is part of the reason dwight wanted Brooklyn

Didn't he say a couple of weeks ago that he asked for a trade before the Stan fiasco? Why would he ask to be traded before giving the Magic a chance at getting a star to play along with him? If he opted in because they promised to give him a star to play along side of him than why did he ask for a trade a couple of months after?

Stan Van Gundy and Alex Martins

Or they could be playing a game of backgammon and waxing poetic on Nas new album. Nothing is out of the realm of possibility at this point.

nas has a new album? is it better than illmatic?

Leadership isn't always getting up in someone's face, S.A.C, as I'm sure you know. Sometimes it's getting the most out of a person, or encouraging them to play greater than they are. Sometimes, yes: you get in someone's face and hold them accountable, but that's far less effective.

That works if someone's a Pippen or a KG or something along those lines: a great player who did something they shouldn't have. You do that to a Duhon, and it'll crush them and they'll have that in their head the rest of the game, the rest of the season: they'll bury their head in a bottle and never come out.

Leadership, more than anything, is knowing people. Knowing what levers to pull and when to pull them, and realizing that different people need different leadership.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1