Live or Die Magic

The Dwight Howard Drama Unfolds

He's saying that "history proves this false" because Grant Hill, Tracy McGrady, and yes, Tim Duncan, wanted to play in small-market Orlando. Duncan chose to instead play in small-market San Antonio.

To add on: Tim Duncan didn't end up playing in Orlando because of personal reasons, not anything to do with Orlando.

Chris Paul requested Orlando as well if something more recent is wanted.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Marc J. Spears ‏@SpearsNBAYahoo

Lakers pushing hard to land Magic center Dwight Howard & meeting with Magic today,sources tell Y! LAL wants DH contract extension commitment

I'm hoping Hennigan is meeting with the Lakers to spook the Rockets and cause them to take on the most amount of our garbage contracts as Houston can possibly absorb and to get back as much of Houston's young talent and draft picks as possible. If Bynum will not commit to the Magic long-term, then there's no sense of talking with the Lakers about sending Bynum to Orlando. If Bynum likewise won't commit to Houston long-term, then I would think Houston would rather take their chances on a 1-year rental of Dwight instead of a 1-year rental of Bynum.

• Upvote 1

wasn't the big issue with Grant that he asked management not to trade him when his deal was expiring because he wanted to stick around and help the young team?

Yes. And he kept trying to make a comeback before he was fully healed so we couldn't get an injury exception for him. And then he'd (inevitably) injure himself again, go down for the year, and jack us over one more season.

And yeah: then he said that he wanted to stick around and mentor our younger players. And then bolted the first chance he got.

So: 1) we couldn't get an injury exception for him because he kept trying to play rather than heal up (his fault); 2) he kept trying to play and getting reinjured (his fault); 3) he talked management into not trading him (his fault, and partially management's for believing his BS); 4) he bolted the first chance he got after collecting a decade of paychecks from us.

I realize he's got some fans out there, and has this awesome reputation, but Hill really didn't do the Magic any favors...

• Upvote 1

I'm hoping Hennigan is meeting with the Lakers to spook the Rockets and cause them to take on the most amount of our garbage contracts as Houston can possibly absorb and to get back as much of Houston's young talent and draft picks as possible. If Bynum will not commit to the Magic long-term, then there's no sense of talking with the Lakers about sending Bynum to Orlando. If Bynum likewise won't commit to Houston long-term, then I would think Houston would rather take their chances on a 1-year rental of Dwight instead of a 1-year rental of Bynum.

Could have said it better myself...

Brian K. Schmitz ‏@MagicInsider

Yahoo! Sports says LAL-ORL talking Dwight Howard. Could be LAL-ORL-HOU 3-way, LAL sending ABynum to HOU with Rockets taking ORL contracts

That seems pretty obvious possibility - what would be interesting is if

The Lakers ship Bynum and Gasol to Houston

Lakers get - Howard, 1 rookie from Houston, and say Hedo and whatever else is necessary to make the numbers work

Orlando gets - Parsons, Lamb, and maybe another rookie 2 first round draft picks and unloads - 2 of the 4 - Duhon, QRich, JRich, BBaby - prefer to keep BBaby out of this group

That seems pretty obvious possibility - what would be interesting is if

The Lakers ship Bynum and Gasol to Houston

Lakers get - Howard, 1 rookie from Houston, and say Hedo and whatever else is necessary to make the numbers work

Orlando gets - Parsons, Lamb, and maybe another rookie 2 first round draft picks and unloads - 2 of the 4 - Duhon, QRich, JRich, BBaby - prefer to keep BBaby out of this group

I'd be surprised if LAL would send BOTH Bynum and Gasol out just for Dwight and 1 of Houston's rookies. Let's face it. A Lakers starting lineup of Dwight, Gasol, MWP, Kobe and Nash is pretty damn good (assuming all 5 stay healthy). They'd likely have a 1-2 year window for championships with that lineup, after which they'd still have Dwight to build around as the others retire and their salaries come off the books. I can't imagine they'd prefer a rookie in that mix over Gasol.

Bynum to Hou, Dwight to LA, Lamb, Ebanks, KMart and picks plus the filler and bad deals.

Book it.

Again, I think for that deal to occur, Bynum would have to commit to extend with Houston. Otherwise, Bynum is a 1-year crap shoot for Houston just like Dwight and if I were Houston, I'd rather gamble on Dwight rather than Bynum.

GUYS PLAYERS WILL NOT SIGN EXTENSIONS BECAUSE IT DOES NOT MAKE FINANCIAL SENSE. THE MOST YOU CAN EXTEND FOR IS 3 YEARS. IF YOU OPT OUT YOU GET 5 YEARS. PLUS BYNUM IS NOT GOING TO TURN DOWN A GUARANTEED TAX FREE 5TH YEAR FROM EITHER ORLANDO OR HOUSTON. IF I HAVE TO READ THAT AGAIN I MIGHT EXPLODE. KKTTYL

• Upvote 7

GUYS PLAYERS WILL NOT SIGN EXTENSIONS BECAUSE IT DOES NOT MAKE FINANCIAL SENSE. THE MOST YOU CAN EXTEND FOR IS 3 YEARS. IF YOU OPT OUT YOU GET 5 YEARS. PLUS BYNUM IS NOT GOING TO TURN DOWN A GUARANTEED TAX FREE 5TH YEAR FROM EITHER ORLANDO OR HOUSTON. IF I HAVE TO READ THAT AGAIN I MIGHT EXPLODE. KKTTYL

/thread. LOL