Live or Die Magic

The Dwight Howard Drama Unfolds

The whole trade and perception that it has to be rushed has to be fabricated by Howard, HWNSNBU, and their people. We have no reason to rush.

If Lopez goes out and signs an offer sheet from another team then the deal is dead. New Jersey could match or let him walk. If they match the cannot trade him until December 15th. If they let him walk they don't have enough salary dollars to trade to match Dwight. Lopez is not going to wait forever. Someone will show interest.

It is too bad Houston offered Asik that deal. If they waited they could have made an offer to Lopez and sabotaged this whole thing.

In fact if the Nets did lose the ability to trade for Howard then other teams may up their offers as there is no way the Nets can sign Howard outright next summer making Howard's threat of only wanting one team laughable.

• Upvote 1

Who says we have to keep Lopez...We could package him with our picks or expiring contracts.

sure it's not the best deal (like Melo) but when DH says i'm only going to sign with 1 team, and it scares off the rest of the league, what choice do u have.

Trade him for assets, and then move those assests on.

Legion Sports ‏@MySportsLegion

Trade Rumor: Knicks close to S&T w/ Rockets that would send Marcus Camby to NY for Toney Douglas Josh Harrelson Dan Gadzuric & Jerome Jordan

Jonathan Feigen @Jonathan_Feigen

There are reports that Marcus Camby has agreed to go to NY in S&T. Was just told "He has not made a decision." "Nothing imminent."

I'm no cap wizard but DOM is, and if he's laughing we should all laugh with him.

I'm guessing the CBA says that only half of he S&T player's salary counts unless it's after December (15th?)

Not quite.

"BYC" technically no longer exists, but it was replaced by an identical rule that only applies to S&Ted players. And since I don't know the name of that rule, I'm going to call it BYC.

Essentially, if a player is S&Ted and their new salary is greater than 125% of their previous salary, then their salary in a trade(in terms of matching salaries between teams) isn't their new salary; it's the greater of half their new salary or 125% of their old one.

So lets say the Nets wanted to S&T Brook Lopez with a new 16m contract(in reality, he legally can't get anything close to that). Ok, fine. His incoming value for Orlando, so what Orlando would have to match with, is 16m. But his outgoing salary from Brooklyn is just 8m, so they could only receive 10m in salary in return. Any more than that, and the trade is illegal.

The currently listed trade has Lopez, Gaines, Williams and James all becoming BYC players, and all of them would have to get big enough raises that their outgoing trade value would only be half of whatever their new salary is. The apparent idea is that Brooklyn would get around that by dumping a monstrously large one year deal for Humphries to Cleveland, who can use their CAP space to just absorb Humphries, but if Humphries gets more than 10m a year, HE becomes a BYC player, and then the only way they can get his outgoing value above 10m is by giving him a contract in excess of 20m, and holy **** why are people buying any of this?

• Upvote 6

Am I the only one that isn't freaking out about this?

I seriously don't care at this point. I don't. I just want a move done. I want to get this child out of Orlando and I want the drama to end. I want to get back to basketball.

So you know what? Bring on Brook Lopez and his one good foot. Bring on three late first rounders. Goodbye to J-Rich, Chris "ack-a-hol" Duhon, and Free Earl. I don't care. I JUST WANT BASKETBALL.

You ask a question every 10 minutes

Understandable how that can be annoying to you guys. I'll make conscious effort to stay away from asking questions. Just a Magic fan like all of you.

ideally, we'd get a ton of picks from somewhere like houston, then dwight would leave them in free agency, and houston will tank, and our picks we received will all be loterry picks

Am I the only one that isn't freaking out about this?

I seriously don't care at this point. I don't. I just want a move done. I want to get this child out of Orlando and I want the drama to end. I want to get back to basketball.

So you know what? Bring on Brook Lopez and his one good foot. Bring on three late first rounders. Goodbye to J-Rich, Chris "ack-a-hol" Duhon, and Free Earl. I don't care. I JUST WANT BASKETBALL.

I'm ready to blow it up IF Hedo goes too, I can't even describe how sick of him I am!

Who says we have to keep Lopez...We could package him with our picks or expiring contracts.

Sounds grand. Trade an inefficient, overpaid giraffe with a bum hoof, picks in the 20's to get a" real" balla.