I love my PTSD.

An Oldtimers Take

I don't know about you, but winning has always left me with a "now what" kind of mentality. In the immediate aftermath of a championship, everything is awesome times Kate Upton breasts. However, I've always noticed that after that short amount of time, I kind of wake myself up to the fact that sports is just a never ending cycle, and no matter how awesome one particular season is, it's rendered meaningless five months down the road when the next one starts.

The problem is that you're thinking too much about it. If I think too much about the game being watching a bunch of sweaty dudes throwing a ball around for 3 hours, I start to lose interest. The whole thing is pretty meaningless anyway.

I don't know about you, but winning has always left me with a "now what" kind of mentality. In the immediate aftermath of a championship, everything is awesome times Kate Upton breasts. However, I've always noticed that after that short amount of time, I kind of wake myself up to the fact that sports is just a never ending cycle, and no matter how awesome one particular season is, it's rendered meaningless five months down the road when the next one starts.

I'm giving you a plus 1 for mentioning Kate Upton's breasts in a post. That said, if you want anyone to read the rest of your post, you should probably refrain from mentioning the boobies of perfection until you finish making your point. I have no idea what your last few sentences say.

This. What if we had won the championship finally this past year? Lots of celebration and joy for a while, but as soon as the next season comes around, if we go through a rough patch then we'll hear moaning about the team not being as good as last year. It is indeed a never ending cycle with sports. We all want a championship badly, but there is only 1 championship every year. Hell, every year out of the 30 teams in the league there is normally around 3-5 with a realistic chance of winning the title. If Dwight is traded, our chances of winning one anytime soon goes out the window, but we still will have the Amway Center and new players to represent our team and city. Live will move on. Besides, even if Dwight stayed, our chances of winning a title wouldn't be all that high either.

On another note, I think that 2009 run to the Finals may have been a curse in disguise. It set expectations higher than they probably should've been and it led to Otis' foolish overspending to win now that backfired and will probably cost us Dwight.

• Upvote 1

This. What if we had won the championship finally this past year? Lots of celebration and joy for a while, but as soon as the next season comes around, if we go through a rough patch then we'll hear moaning about the team not being as good as last year. It is indeed a never ending cycle with sports. We all want a championship badly, but there is only 1 championship every year. Hell, every year out of the 30 teams in the league there is normally around 3-5 with a realistic chance of winning the title. If Dwight is traded, our chances of winning one anytime soon goes out the window, but we still will have the Amway Center and new players to represent our team and city. Live will move on. Besides, even if Dwight stayed, our chances of winning a title wouldn't be all that high either.

On another note, I think that 2009 run to the Finals may have been a curse in disguise. It set expectations higher than they probably should've been and it led to Otis' foolish overspending to win now that backfired and will probably cost us Dwight.

Winning a championship isn't the cure all. I remember Darla, from high school. I sought after her. She was a stunning blond with big..... well, you know what I mean. She was a year older than me. No one gave me a chance. Then, to everyones surprise, there was a magical night, and I won the Championship.

After that........meh.

So.. would you guys rather not win anything because the celebration will eventually end??

No, that isn't what is being said at all. The point is, the joy of a championship only lasts for so long and we shouldn't get caught up in the championship or bust stuff because you'll bust more often than not. Just enjoy the ride.

I remember when the Bucs finally won the Super Bowl. That was an awesome few weeks.

Of course, now that they haven't won a playoff game since then, it's definitely not as fun to be a Bucs fan, but still at least I can say they won something, unlike some other teams.

I don't really want to see a Magic championship followed by a decade of mediocrity. But, it's better than just being mediocre, which may be our future if Dwight leaves.

I remember when the Bucs finally won the Super Bowl. That was an awesome few weeks.

Of course, now that they haven't won a playoff game since then, it's definitely not as fun to be a Bucs fan, but still at least I can say they won something, unlike some other teams.

I don't really want to see a Magic championship followed by a decade of mediocrity. But, it's better than just being mediocre, which may be our future if Dwight leaves.

I would take a decade of mediocrity following a championship every day and twice on sunday. As a Bucs fan since the Orange and White days, that championship to this day is still my fondest sports memory ever. Jon Gruden running down the sideline waving his arm in a circle is something I will never forget.

If the Magic win next year then for all means suck for 10 after that, I won't care. It don't mean a thing, unless you got that ring.

No, that isn't what is being said at all. The point is, the joy of a championship only lasts for so long and we shouldn't get caught up in the championship or bust stuff because you'll bust more often than not. Just enjoy the ride.

Got it.

I think if we get a merge of these 2 posts everybody is happy.. hehehe

I would take a decade of mediocrity following a championship every day and twice on sunday. As a Bucs fan since the Orange and White days, that championship to this day is still my fondest sports memory ever. Jon Gruden running down the sideline waving his arm in a circle is something I will never forget.

If the Magic win next year then for all means suck for 10 after that, I won't care. It don't mean a thing, unless you got that ring.

The Heat started a year ahead of us and have two titles. One with our own draft pick (ouch). Sad to say it is better to have the ring once than ten years of great teams. Ask Karl Malone, Barkley, Marino, the Bills....you only have to win one year to be called the champion forever.

Props to Into the Fog and SATOLS. :cheers:

I can relate to both standpoints. Undoubtedly, Magic gear hold the same emotional value to me regardless of our winning/losing record and that will NEVER change; however I do aknowledge the multiple benefits of establishing a wining culture to the team.