Sign in to follow this  
Bauncey Chillups

2012 Draft Discussion Thread?

Anyone know which former forum troll this O town Celtics/ Magic fan used to post as? There was the boston fan, Larrybird33, I think was his forum name. He has not been around in a while. That guy was actually entertaining though and seemed to at least have some smarts, while newbie just seems like an idiot. His posts are as dumb as three3d but he lacks the potty mouth. His style, if you can call it that, seems strangely familiar.

Who cares?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

I like both our picks definitely makes offseason moves more interesting by drafting two bigs but I think Nicholson will be moved to the 3 I would love to get a good piece for Anderson we need to move him he's clearly a pat garrity 2.0 but can actually rebound at least offensive rebounds

Chad Ford Draft Grade:

ORLANDO MAGIC | GRADE: B-

Round 1: Andrew Nicholson (19)

Round 2: Kyle O'Quinn (49)

Analysis: In GM Rob Hennigan's first NBA draft, he decided to play it safe and ended up with two solid picks.

Nicholson has a little David West in him. He's a big who can get after it in the paint, and step out and hit jumpers. In fact, I'd say Nicholson is an even better shooter. He really needs to get in an NBA weight room, but he's got a chance to outperform his draft slot. I am not sure how he fits next to Ryan Anderson (they're very similar players) but thought he was a solid get here.

I could say the same about O'Quinn. There's nothing fancy about his game. Like Nicholson, he's not a great athlete. But he's long and he can get it done in the post. I wish the Magic had added more athleticism (I think Teague would have been a stronger, albeit riskier, selection here) but you can't blame a guy who's been on the job for only a week for being conservative.

I'm among those who don't like this draft so much. I actually get the second round pick, though I would have like to see them go with Sims. Nicholson I just don't understand. He's got some skills, but I've watched A10 ball for years, and he's always been a bit of an underachiever. Not that he doesn't play hard. He just never struck me as real bright, as far as how to use his talents within a team. If he can actually play with the focus that he did late last season, he'll be slightly better than Justin Harper (as much as it hurts to say that). He's not the worst player in the draft at 19, but I just don't see why they drafted him over Wroten, Teague, Jeff Taylor, or any number of similarly talented players they could actually use. A PF when that's literally the only position they don't need. Strange. Yet somehow familiar.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I can only assume that our picks were made for insurance purposes against losing either Anderson or Davis. I wouldn't be surprised to see Anderson sign elsewhere and Davis to be shopped over the next 8 months.

I would say that its telling no pg was taken in the second round, clearly Hennigan wants Jameer to stay. That being said the pg crop was weak all the way around this year, no sense in drafting one that won't produce (at 49 none were left that had much of a ceiling). Hard to tell the reasoning behind the pick, although a backup C was a need.

I'm so sick of seeing "I give the Magic a B, because Nicholson is a great pick and is talented, and David West/Al Jefferson/Ryan Anderson/Karl Marlone, but they have Big Baby and Ryan Anderson so it's a silly pick blah blah blah".

MAYBE WE ARE LOSING RYAN AND NOT OVERPAYING AND/OR TRADING ONE OF THE TWO? IS THIS OUT OF THE REALM OF POSSIBILITY THAT IT CAN'T EVEN BE A *****ING BLIP OR NUGGET DURING SOMEONES GRADING OR EXPLANATION AS TO WHY THEY DO/DON'T LIKE THE PICK. FOR PETE SAKES.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

brand new magic fan (though I did follow them when they came into the league) and new to the board.

I understand the frustrations a lot of you have. Those unwarranted from people who know nothing about the a10 and Nicholson, and those who have seen him play and are concerned with whatever they may think he lacks.

I saw some blog that had him slated behind Justin Harper on the depth chart; that's just foolish and doesn't warrant a response. I have a feeling those assessments are coming from the blind. I'm a die hard Bonaventure fan so my opinion is just that, but here's what I can give you on Nicholson that you can't get from stat lines, video, or interview. Kid has more pride and passion in him than most. He's beyond clutch. In back to back games his junior year he hit buzzer beaters (vs Ohio in 4ots, @St. John's) both with hands in his face. He put the entire Bonaventure team on his back in atlantic city for the a10 tournament. Xavier wanted nothing to do with him that afternoon. Some are saying the competition he played against puffs his numbers up. He dominated Meyers Leonard @Illinois. Most on here will probably look at the UCF game last year where nicholson had a rough game. That was the exception, not the rule. Even if the kid starts slow he hates to lose and has an paralleled work ethic. That will lead to great, not good, things.

Again I'm sure their are plenty who no matter what will claim "THEY WASTED THE PICK! WE SHOULDA GOT TEAGUE OR PJIII!!!" Let me know which team you're the gm for so I can follow how the players you drafted and how they turn out. . . give him a month and you wont be disappointed.

I'm really excited to be getting deep back in the nba again with a team that seems to have the right gm and the right idea on how to build not a contender, but a champion.

I'm so sick of seeing "I give the Magic a B, because Nicholson is a great pick and is talented, and David West/Al Jefferson/Ryan Anderson/Karl Marlone, but they have Big Baby and Ryan Anderson so it's a silly pick blah blah blah".

MAYBE WE ARE LOSING RYAN AND NOT OVERPAYING AND/OR TRADING ONE OF THE TWO? IS THIS OUT OF THE REALM OF POSSIBILITY THAT IT CAN'T EVEN BE A *****ING BLIP OR NUGGET DURING SOMEONES GRADING OR EXPLANATION AS TO WHY THEY DO/DON'T LIKE THE PICK. FOR PETE SAKES.

I know that for me, it's more a matter of Nicholson not necessarily being any of those guys. To me, he looks like a solid rotation PF who will need time to adjust to the NBA game. Orlando has that in Justin Harper, and they have two other options at PF that are starter-quality guys. If one or the other of Baby or RA is gone, that still leaves Orlando with a solid starter at the position and a developing backup. Whereas, at the PG, they are guaranteed neither. Jameer may very well leave, and Duhon is pathetic. Even if Jameer had stayed, I think his backup would still be a major concern. Marquis Teague fell way farther in this draft than he should have, but not because he isn't talented. Honestly, most teams in the NBA are far more set at the PG position than Orlando (I might go so far as to say that they all are), and those who need help there needed more help elsewhere. Teague will be at worst a solid backup in this league, and he has huge upside, yet Orlando chose to draft a player who is very unlikely to be anything more than a career backup at a position they don't need.

They played it absurdly safe. They didn't draft for need, and they didn't draft for talent or upside. They drafted Nicholson because they knew he can contribute in limited minutes, and they were unconcerned with how big that contribution will be.

But hey, maybe they plan to trade Baby and let RA go to someone who'll overpay him. If so, then kudos to Hennigan for his foresight.

• Downvote 1

Orlando Magic

Additions: Andrew Nicholson, Kyle O'Quinn

Grade: A

Ryan Anderson is a terrific player, and Nicholson certainly wasn't drafted to replace Anderson in any meaningful way, but perhaps it's time to try a more typical power forward type next to Dwight Howard? Assuming Dwight … y'know.

Not as a starter, mind you, because we've been hyping Anderson for years. Just in the mix.

Nicholson has all you need from a big four, and though he lacks a bit in the rebounding department, the Magic have a guy to help with that. He's a long, aggressive scoring type that will turn 23 a month into the season and be able to help early on.

O'Quinn is a banger, and little else but camp fodder at this point. He's a big banger, though, so he'll be around.

Magic Draft Grade from Yahoo link

brand new magic fan (though I did follow them when they came into the league) and new to the board.

I saw some blog that had him slated behind Justin Harper on the depth chart; that's just foolish and doesn't warrant a response. I have a feeling those assessments are coming from the blind.

At the risk of starting a U of R v Bonnie tiff, Harp didn't have too much trouble with him the last time they played each other. I will admit that Nicholson is more NBA ready than Harper was coming out, but Harper has way more upside. But that's coming from a U of R fan.