Sign in to follow this  
Bauncey Chillups

2012 Draft Discussion Thread?

I think Good Job Rob went the safe route and skipped the well known names with possible injuries for guys that like to play very hard and are in perfect health. I'm sure he has a plan for PG and getting rid of the dead weight but won't make any moves until we have a coach and he sits with Dwight. Based on the fact that we didn't trade Dwight I would say his phone conversation with Dwight was positive... and maybe Dwight even said "get me a backup so I can play a few less minutes and be more productive."

Kyle Oquinn wrecked my bracket with his 26 points and 14 rebounds against Missouri in the first round.

Thats a good thing, then the Magic could knock the cHeat out the playoffs and destroy the NBA Eastern Conference brackets to win it all this year or the next.

• Upvote 1

I'm a little concerned about the quality of competition he faced, but I like his skillset. I hope it works out!

PJ's knee must be really jacked up...

Wow, what a disastrous draft. We take a PF who is...to quote the Sports Illustrated summary..."a relative unknown entering March"...oh, but he had NINE great games in the A-10 and NCAA tourneys.

So let's sum up. We waste the 19th pick on a guy who is a relative unknown at St. Bonaventure for over three-and-a-half years...a guy that was tremendously productive for NINE games...but who played mid-major competition and couldn't make a name for himself for the majority of his collegiate career...oh, but he busted a lot of brackets in the NCAA tourney.

Wow.

Meanwhile, we bypass a similarly-sized PF (one inch shorter) in Kevin Jones who played under a great coach and who had tremendous production in the top hoops conference for 3 years. As a senior year, he averaged a double-double on a not-great WVU team (when he is clearly the #1 guy to shut down, yet nobody seems to do it).

Well, we may have a new GM, but this is that same GM-groupthink nonsense that fills up the NBA with overpaid guys with underdeveloped skills. Oh, sure, maybe Nicholson can jump higher. But the next NBA "analyst" who uses the term "ceiling" in a sentence, I'm going to punch him in the throat. Kevin Jones has high character and leadership skills, something we could use post-Dwight, and yet we go with the 9-game phenom from St. Bonaventure.

But wait, it's not enough to grab a mid-major power forward with a 9-game resume. We compound our mistake by taking a center from...NORFOLK STATE (where all the best centers come from, I guess)...oh wait, I discovered what our 2nd rounder has in common with our 1st rounder...per Sports Illustrated, O'Quinn is "the classic March Madness darling"...YAY, we found another guy who suddenly developed in the last few weeks of his senior year!

Congratulations, Magic fans. We now have a team that is poised to break a lot of NCAA brackets, but do absolutely nothing in the NBA playoffs. Kudos.

When I think of the wasted opportunities...look, at center (where we know we have to replace Dwight), we couldn't have moved up TWO spots (with a team that was looking to deal the pick anyhow) to get Tyler Zeller? Heck, we could have tossed in the rights to Fran Vazquez, along with a bag of balls, to sweeten that deal.

Or point guard...I've said since Day 1 that Jameer Nelson is not the answer. I used to advocate for the Magic signing Jeremy Lin (ask my friends, I thought that kid was a smart pickup for a long time). But we could have had Wroten or Teague in the first round, or Machado late second (it's easy to pick up an extra late 2nd rounder).

So here is what we need to do. We need "Heart & Hustle II". We need to go out and sign the "All-Overlooked" team:

Henry Sims at center

Kevin Jones and Hollis Thompson at forwards

Scott Machado and William Buford at guards

Trade Dwight for the best possible offer, let Jameer go at the end of the year, find someone to take Hedo's expiring contract at the end of the year, keep JJ, Big Baby, and the Richardsons, and prepare for free agency next year.

We would have a tremendous team at that point. That team would be ready to integrate a couple of high-dollar FA signees.

What a horrible, nightmarish draft we just had. I don't know how anyone can spin this positively, given the poor strategy we displayed and the players we bypassed. And for what? A couple of March superstars who did very little for the first 3-plus years of their collegiate careers.

And I thought the Fran Vazquez draft was the worst I had ever seen.

• Downvote 9

what in the world

Tyler Zeller is terrible and Kevin Jones wasn't even drafted

What an ignorant post. Because a guy isn't drafted, he must be terrible, right?

Ignorant.

For instance, SI had Nicholson ranked as the #8 PF, while Jones was the #10 PF. The reason I use the comparison is because they are both seniors and have a similar height (Nicholson is 6'9" and Jones is 6'8"). Nicholson goes #19 overall, Jones is undrafted (though he is considered by many to be the best available undrafted player).

But for comparative purposes, Jones played with great coaching (Bob Huggins) and was much more productive over a longer period of time. He is not some 9-game tournament phenom. He is the first WVU player to score 1,000 points since Jerry West.

The point is, there is no reason to take Nicholson at #19. You can get a very similar PF with superior coaching, production, leadership, and character at the bottom of the 2nd round. You can then use your #19 to address a more pressing concern.

I am not saying that Tyler Zeller is the end-all/be-all at Center. I am just pointing out that he is a guy we could have gotten IN THIS DRAFT. If you bothered to think about it for more than 5 seconds, you would see that we could have picked up a good PG at #19 in the draft too. I only pointed out Zeller because we took a center in the 2nd round.

The more important and broader point is that our philosophy and selection at both points in the draft was horrendous. It is not "only pick this player" in that position. I am pointing out the guys who WERE AVAILABLE in those slots, as well as the guys who are STILL AVAILABLE as of this moment.

Bottom line, most GMs are not very good at handling the draft, they do much more to assemble talent via trade and free agency BECAUSE they botch the drafts so badly. Anyone can make a reasonably good lottery pick, but many GMs screw up the later picks. They waste 2nd rounders (and occasionally a disastrous 1st rounder) on drafting foreigners who are not even going to be joining the team anytime soon. And they reach for guys with "potential" over guys with good coaching and solid production in competitive conferences.

So if I was going to make a head-to-head comparison, for now, I would only do it with Nicholson and Jones. Similar rankings and draft grades. Nicholson will be a wasted pick at #19, and Jones will be a steal for whoever signs him as a UFA.

The Magic botched this draft. If you can't see it...well, good luck rooting for future trades and FA signings to fix the missed opportunity of the draft.

Ignorant.

For instance, SI had Nicholson ranked as the #8 PF, while Jones was the #10 PF. The reason I use the comparison is because they are both seniors and have a similar height (Nicholson is 6'9" and Jones is 6'8"). Nicholson goes #19 overall, Jones is undrafted (though he is considered by many to be the best available undrafted player).

But for comparative purposes, Jones played with great coaching (Bob Huggins) and was much more productive over a longer period of time. He is not some 9-game tournament phenom. He is the first WVU player to score 1,000 points since Jerry West.

The point is, there is no reason to take Nicholson at #19. You can get a very similar PF with superior coaching, production, leadership, and character at the bottom of the 2nd round. You can then use your #19 to address a more pressing concern.

I am not saying that Tyler Zeller is the end-all/be-all at Center. I am just pointing out that he is a guy we could have gotten IN THIS DRAFT. If you bothered to think about it for more than 5 seconds, you would see that we could have picked up a good PG at #19 in the draft too. I only pointed out Zeller because we took a center in the 2nd round.

The more important and broader point is that our philosophy and selection at both points in the draft was horrendous. It is not "only pick this player" in that position. I am pointing out the guys who WERE AVAILABLE in those slots, as well as the guys who are STILL AVAILABLE as of this moment.

Bottom line, most GMs are not very good at handling the draft, they do much more to assemble talent via trade and free agency BECAUSE they botch the drafts so badly. Anyone can make a reasonably good lottery pick, but many GMs screw up the later picks. They waste 2nd rounders (and occasionally a disastrous 1st rounder) on drafting foreigners who are not even going to be joining the team anytime soon. And they reach for guys with "potential" over guys with good coaching and solid production in competitive conferences.

So if I was going to make a head-to-head comparison, for now, I would only do it with Nicholson and Jones. Similar rankings and draft grades. Nicholson will be a wasted pick at #19, and Jones will be a steal for whoever signs him as a UFA.

The Magic botched this draft. If you can't see it...well, good luck rooting for future trades and FA signings to fix the missed opportunity of the draft.

shut up celtics fan.. go enjoy fab melo

Ignorant.

You are beyond help

Ignorant.

you jumped the gun too fast...

I thought Rob drafted two ballers and not just two beautiful flower vases to look at...

we might be trading some of the bigs... hold off your thoughts till the season starts..

did you think J Harper and Liggins were good picks?

they have their foot half way out of the NBA now...

Or point guard...I've said since Day 1 that Jameer Nelson is not the answer. I used to advocate for the Magic signing Jeremy Lin (ask my friends, I thought that kid was a smart pickup for a long time). But we could have had Wroten or Teague in the first round, or Machado late second (it's easy to pick up an extra late 2nd rounder).

You actually have friends? By chance, did one used to be a former poster on this forum that went by the name three3d?

shut up celtics fan.. go enjoy fab melo

What a genius. I was a Celtics fan before the Magic were in existence. I've lived in Orlando since 1971. We only got a team in 1989.

Besides, instead of wasting your time with such a childish post ("shut up"), why don't you make the case as to why Nicholson and O'Quinn were such great picks? You can't. You won't.

• Upvote 1