Babir_9

2012 Offseason

I'd much rather have this lineup for 2012-13;

Teague

Brooks

Ross

Anderson

Drummond

That team would be terrible but it would at least be fun to watch them develope.Then add a top 5 pick in 2013 draft and have the ability to sign a yound stud (harden please) next summer. I would also try and get some picks, either now or future, for jameer/redick/bbd/franny since they might actually have some value to do so. I think this is more less how it will go if the nets get up into the top 3.

Yeah, I'd like this lineup.

But if the Magic is keeping Turk (because he's in his last year, so it makes more sense to trade Duhon and J-Rich instead) and paying him his absurd salary, he has to play. The same applies to Nelson if he opts in.

This also helps in the development of the rookies, having to fight for playing time and find space in the rotation without the responsibility of starting in their rookie season.

I'm guessing the people calling for Dwight to leave probably weren't fans when Shaq left...

Or remember how long it took us to recover without any assets in return for him..

This organization needs a new basketball culture.

I think Dwight, Stan and Otis should be gone after this season. I really like Stan and Dwight is a "once in a generation" player but the Magic needs new people who relates differently with the ownership.

Because of that, I would trade Dwight to the Nets if they can land a top 3 pick.

---

Dwight Howard (extended, max salary for 5 years)

Jason Richardson

Chris Duhon

FOR

Gerald Wallace (extended, 10M yearly for 4 years)

Marshon Brooks

pick #2 or #3

the best pick they can get for a Brook Lopez S&T (I think the Sixers with pick #15 and the Rockets with picks #14 and #16 would be interested)

pick #57

The Nets would be under the cap, so the trade actually works.

---

Example for 2012/2013 season:

Let Anderson sign elsewhere and only keep Nelson if he opts in for the last season of his contract.

Draft Andre Drummond with pick #2 or #3.

Draft best prospects available with picks #14~#16 and #19 (I imagine something like Terrence Ross and Marquis Teague).

Draft some international prospects with picks #49 and #57

Nelson* / Redick / Turkoglu / Wallace / Davis

Teague / Brooks (Liggins) / Ross / Clark (Harper) / Drummond

This team will be one of the worst teams in the league.

---

With Nelson, Turkoglu, Redick and Clark out of the payroll, the Magic will be heavily under the cap with just Gerald Wallace, Glen Davis and rookie scale contracts.

In the following season the Magic would have cap space and young talents enough to covet free agents Chris Paul and Josh Smith for example, as well as a great pick in the draft (with chances to be #1 and draft Shabazz) and a center with great potential in Drummond.

In two years the Magic could present a rotation of:

Chris Paul / Shabazz / Wallace / J. Smith / Drummond

Teague / Brooks / Ross / MLE player / Davis

Quite promissing.

Once in a generation player by your own admittance and you want to give him away on the account of a culture change?

Re-read what you said and think about how incredibly stupid it is.

Once in a generation player by your own admittance and you want to give him away on the account of a culture change?

Re-read what you said and think about how incredibly stupid it is.

Exactly. You make a deal if you have to, not because you are tired of dealing with the stress. What if the Celtics had done that with Pierce before they ended up bringing in the other two key guys? Winning is not easy. You do what you can to keep the best players on your team, or you never can sustain any quality level of play.

And if you have to make a deal, you don't do it for just anyone. Then you are just suckers. And that's the problem with a lot of the deals that we have heard discussed so far. Teams are trying to trade for Dwight by giving the Magic pennies on the dollar. No sense in making a deal at all if you don't get anyone back who helps you sustain your level of play or at least get back to it quickly. Even high draft picks.....you have to start all over coaching them. And by the time you get them up to speed, they are free agents. The circle of free agency, so to speak.

The culture of getting to the NBA Finals started when Dwight and Jameer came in and took on responsibility with the team when Francis group left. That is not the problem with the culture. They play hard! The problem with the culture is the roster -- the number of players who cannot contribute at all at this point. Because if some of those guys could, then some of the starters wouldn't have to play so many minutes (especially the over 30 guys), or eventually, some of those guys could move into a starting spot.

I mean, if you could get the right guys to play for cheap, make some necessary cuts, and make a couple other smart moves, you could turn around the team. The problem is not the culture. They played hard til the end. There always are some guys who can help teams who sign for the minimum or biannual exception. There are about 5 guys on the roster who the coaching staff apparently decided never deserved to play. You can't have that. In part, this is because of giving up young players/draft picks to bring in older players and wasting some other picks (Orton, who SVG has pretty much said has a bad work ethic, and Vasquez, who never came here to play).

Not to mention it would make no sense whatsoever to pay a verteran that much when the rest of your team will be 20 year olds. Also paying him that much would kill our capspace the following summer. Why not resign Anderson for half that instead?

I'd much rather have this lineup for 2012-13;

Teague

Brooks

Ross

Anderson

Drummond

That team would be terrible but it would at least be fun to watch them develope.Then add a top 5 pick in 2013 draft and have the ability to sign a yound stud (harden please) next summer. I would also try and get some picks, either now or future, for jameer/redick/bbd/franny since they might actually have some value to do so. I think this is more less how it will go if the nets get up into the top 3.

That team would be absolute trash and never be better than a boarderline 8 seed. Drummond is trash, Brooks is a poor man's JR Smith.

No guarantee that Cleveland gets one of those guys. They only tied for the third-worst record. We'll have a better idea after the draft lottery.

A year or two of mediocrity is one thing. A year or two of 20- or 30-win seasons would be something totally different. In a worst-case scenario, the Magic's starting lineup next season is Glen Davis, Hedo Turkoglu, Jason Richardson, J.J., and Chris Duhon.

And out of curiosity, are you a season-ticket holder? If you are, you really want to watch -- or worse, pay thousands of dollars to watch -- a season or two (or more, there are no guarantees) of that? Every time that happens, some season-ticket holders walk away and don't come back. That happens to the Magic like every 5 or 6 years.

I bet they will because some dumbass GM will take Drummond. They'll get one of the 3 and the only reason the Cavs have been AS BAD as they've been the last two years is because of injuries. Their success the last two years has been in direct correlation to the health of Varajao and their point guard (Mo then Kyrie).

The way the NBA is structured, it's better to be a bottom 5 team than a middle 9 team.

The Cavs have a bright future, the Hornets maybe (I'd bet against it) and the Nuggets have peaked unless McGee turns into Dwight Bynum (and no I didn't get the names mixed up).

You don't trade Dwight.

Exactly. You make a deal if you have to, not because you are tired of dealing with the stress. What if the Celtics had done that with Pierce before they ended up bringing in the other two key guys? Winning is not easy. You do what you can to keep the best players on your team, or you never can sustain any quality level of play.

Some other famous scenarios besides Pierce:

-Kobe's spat with the Lakers? Kobe was demanding a trade and personally insulted his coach and his teams starting center. Suddenly Gasol is brought in and the Lakers win 2 'ships.

-Hakeem and the Rockets? People forget about this one. After an injury Hakeem and the Rockets had a major blowup to the point that Hakeem refused to play and the Rockets suspended him. The Dream demanded a trade, but eventually both sides calmed down and a few years later they one a championship.

Point is, nothing is set in stone. Who's to say that maybe Dwight goes to his training session with the Dream and Hakeem sits him down and tells him about his own scenario? Hearing from someone who was also a franchise center surrounded with very little talent and felt disrespected by his organization, who at the same time is also someone who Dwight clearly respects and learns from every summer now might really make him stop and think.

Or remember how long it took us to recover without any assets in return for him..

That had more to do with Penny's body breaking down. And how much did the assets we get from Houston help us recover from TMAC? Actually, they hurt us because we were stuck with late lottery picks to help Dwight instead of the Chris Paul's of the world.

Jameer Nelson can, and likely will, opt-out of the final year of his contract. Sources close to the situation say that Nelson wants to test free agency and sign a long-term deal that gives him some security going forward. Nelson doesn’t want to be dealt as an expiring contract and end up in a bad situation. If he leaves Orlando, he wants to choose his next team rather than being dealt somewhere out of his control. HoopsWorld