Babir_9

2012 Offseason

This organization needs a new basketball culture.

I think Dwight, Stan and Otis should be gone after this season. I really like Stan and Dwight is a "once in a generation" player but the Magic needs new people who relates differently with the ownership.

Because of that, I would trade Dwight to the Nets if they can land a top 3 pick.

---

Dwight Howard (extended, max salary for 5 years)

Jason Richardson

Chris Duhon

FOR

Gerald Wallace (extended, 10M yearly for 4 years)

Marshon Brooks

pick #2 or #3

the best pick they can get for a Brook Lopez S&T (I think the Sixers with pick #15 and the Rockets with picks #14 and #16 would be interested)

pick #57

The Nets would be under the cap, so the trade actually works.

---

Example for 2012/2013 season:

Let Anderson sign elsewhere and only keep Nelson if he opts in for the last season of his contract.

Draft Andre Drummond with pick #2 or #3.

Draft best prospects available with picks #14~#16 and #19 (I imagine something like Terrence Ross and Marquis Teague).

Draft some international prospects with picks #49 and #57

Nelson* / Redick / Turkoglu / Wallace / Davis

Teague / Brooks (Liggins) / Ross / Clark (Harper) / Drummond

This team will be one of the worst teams in the league.

---

With Nelson, Turkoglu, Redick and Clark out of the payroll, the Magic will be heavily under the cap with just Gerald Wallace, Glen Davis and rookie scale contracts.

In the following season the Magic would have cap space and young talents enough to covet free agents Chris Paul and Josh Smith for example, as well as a great pick in the draft (with chances to be #1 and draft Shabazz) and a center with great potential in Drummond.

In two years the Magic could present a rotation of:

Chris Paul / Shabazz / Wallace / J. Smith / Drummond

Teague / Brooks / Ross / MLE player / Davis

Quite promissing.

no

Youre right, and i pretty much told him that saturday. You cant assume that ownership knows what youre thinking, youve got to meet them halfway

Exactly, RDV and Dwight need to meet alone, No Otis, No Alex. Only them two, I think all of us have worked for bosses that think their product, or company is better than what reality/perception of it is. RDV himself has made clear keeping Dwight is priority no.1 the most important thing that needs to happen is d12 and RDV get on the same page, it's RDV's team, not anyone elses. What d12 convey's to you is exactly how he should convey it to the owner, based on what you're saying it's easy for me to see why Dwight is getting frustrated and he should absolutely air all his issues to the only person that ultimately matter

RDV did not become a billionaire by being stupid. I was reading that hoopsworld article, and how the Magic front office are looked at, as a joke when it comes to the draft, drafting Daniel Orton without interviewing him or working him out? that is so incredibly stupid, they did the same freakin thing with Fran Vazquez.....when you analyze this organization it gets easier to see why Dwight feels the way he does......why should he have any confidence they'll get him the right help? the first steps to correcting this are hiring a good GM, NOT FOYLE and hiring a coach with some credibility. If they hire Foyle that will vindicate everything Dwight thinks about this team

• Upvote 2

There are plenty of teams who draft guys without interviewing them because they don't want to tip their picks. The Magic are not good in the draft but the spots they draft other than Fran are a complete crapshoot.

Also expecting a pro athlete to act like an everyday ham and egger is ridiculous. He should get special treatment because he possesses skills that like .01% of our world has. If you were him you would act the same way.

Gerald Wallace (extended, 10M yearly for 4 years)

Shoot me in the face if we sign a 30 year-old wing man who averaged less than 14 pts/gm this season to a $40mil contract. I absolutely can not understand people's infatuation with Wallace. He was good 3+ years ago, but he isn't the same player anymore.

Yeah, Irving is on his rookie deal. In case you haven't noticed, that's not when the "stars" leave. And he'll have Anthony Davis, Michael Kidd-Ghilchrist, or Brad Beal playing next to him next year and maybe adding a wing like Jeff Taylor with their second pick. And when they've had Varajao healthy, they've been in the playoff hunt. Don't sleep on Cleveland because they have arguably the brightest future in the East once this draft concludes. Their new GM has done a fantastic job. They've had two bad years but when Irving was "healthy" (I use quotes bc they tanked), he was exceptionally fun to watch.

However, Denver and New Orleans and us with TMAC have proven it's best to let things play themselves out, take the year or two of mediocrity, and make smart picks with your early lottos.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

So im hearing that people want Phil Jackson as our head Coach.....hmmm..... I wonder how long a 66yr old Coach with a bad back can actually last during a season.

Shoot, why stop there. Why not just go for the gold and dig up "Red Auerbach"?

Dreamers will dream I suppose.

Shoot me in the face if we sign a 30 year-old wing man who averaged less than 14 pts/gm this season to a $40mil contract. I absolutely can not understand people's infatuation with Wallace. He was good 3+ years ago, but he isn't the same player anymore.

Not to mention it would make no sense whatsoever to pay a verteran that much when the rest of your team will be 20 year olds. Also paying him that much would kill our capspace the following summer. Why not resign Anderson for half that instead?

I'd much rather have this lineup for 2012-13;

Teague

Brooks

Ross

Anderson

Drummond

That team would be terrible but it would at least be fun to watch them develope.Then add a top 5 pick in 2013 draft and have the ability to sign a yound stud (harden please) next summer. I would also try and get some picks, either now or future, for jameer/redick/bbd/franny since they might actually have some value to do so. I think this is more less how it will go if the nets get up into the top 3.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, Irving is on his rookie deal. In case you haven't noticed, that's not when the "stars" leave. And he'll have Anthony Davis, Michael Kidd-Ghilchrist, or Brad Beal playing next to him next year and maybe adding a wing like Jeff Taylor with their second pick. And when they've had Varajao healthy, they've been in the playoff hunt. Don't sleep on Cleveland because they have arguably the brightest future in the East once this draft concludes. Their new GM has done a fantastic job. They've had two bad years but when Irving was "healthy" (I use quotes bc they tanked), he was exceptionally fun to watch.

However, Denver and New Orleans and us with TMAC have proven it's best to let things play themselves out, take the year or two of mediocrity, and make smart picks with your early lottos.

No guarantee that Cleveland gets one of those guys. They only tied for the third-worst record. We'll have a better idea after the draft lottery.

A year or two of mediocrity is one thing. A year or two of 20- or 30-win seasons would be something totally different. In a worst-case scenario, the Magic's starting lineup next season is Glen Davis, Hedo Turkoglu, Jason Richardson, J.J., and Chris Duhon.

And out of curiosity, are you a season-ticket holder? If you are, you really want to watch -- or worse, pay thousands of dollars to watch -- a season or two (or more, there are no guarantees) of that? Every time that happens, some season-ticket holders walk away and don't come back. That happens to the Magic like every 5 or 6 years.

I think this is more less how it will go if the nets get up into the top 3.

You realize, of course, that is a long shot. Not to mention the fact that most NBA scouts don't really think that Drummond is going to be a great NBA player.

Orlando is not going to end up with three picks in the first round. They can't trade Lopez for months after a sign-and-trade. They would have to make it happen in the original trade. And Lopez would have to want to go where he's being traded or he doesn't have to be a part of that deal. Besides, it's probably not even smart to get that many first-round picks the same year. Being too young is bad. Look what happened to the Wizards.

There are plenty of teams who draft guys without interviewing them because they don't want to tip their picks. The Magic are not good in the draft but the spots they draft other than Fran are a complete crapshoot.

Also expecting a pro athlete to act like an everyday ham and egger is ridiculous. He should get special treatment because he possesses skills that like .01% of our world has. If you were him you would act the same way.

that's fine I have no problem with that either. Also that article (I assume that's what you're referring to) didn't mention Courtney Lee or Redick as good draft picks.

You realize, of course, that is a long shot. Not to mention the fact that most NBA scouts don't really think that Drummond is going to be a great NBA player.

Orlando is not going to end up with three picks in the first round. They can't trade Lopez for months after a sign-and-trade. They would have to make it happen in the original trade. And Lopez would have to want to go where he's being traded or he doesn't have to be a part of that deal. Besides, it's probably not even smart to get that many first-round picks the same year. Being too young is bad. Look what happened to the Wizards.

Im just going off of mock drafts for Drummond, haven't watched him personally but apparently some scouts think he could be an alright pro. And the other pick can be a future consideration too, I just don't think we settle for brooks and one first, although I'd take brooks and a top three pick in a heartbeat just to be over this whole ordeal. And honestly, we'll prob trade dwight for some has beens, but I will be optimistic until that happens.

Yeah, I think 4 years, 10M is much for Wallace.

But this is what he's getting paid for in his next contract. Also, to get rid of J-Rich and Duhon and get the picks, we would have to take some salary as the Nets don't have the cap space to sign for Dwight, Duhon and J-Rich while sending only picks (no cap space value).

Not to mention it would make no sense whatsoever to pay a verteran that much when the rest of your team will be 20 year olds. Also paying him that much would kill our capspace the following summer. Why not resign Anderson for half that instead?

I would have Anderson for half that. But Anderson will be overpaid this offseason. He's getting an offer of more than 8M yearly by some stupid team and that's too much for a player who showed us he can't perform in the playoffs for two straight seasons AND is a product of the 4-out/1-in system with Dwight dominating the paint.

And paying 10M yearly for Wallace wouldn't kill the cap space. The Magic would have only Wallace (10M), Davis (6M) and rookies scale contracts. This is enough for signing two top free agents the following summer.