Sign in to follow this  
Live or Die Magic

Milwaukee's Best

The Fan Voice: "Milwaukee's Best”

By Live or Die Magic | Feb. 23th, 2012

Milwaukee’s Best

I’m not sure if an entire team can stat pad, but that’s almost what it has felt like lately with the Orlando Magic’s three consecutive close wins over the Milwaukee Bucks. One of the more unique aspects of this shortened, yet compressed season has been the frequency that certain opponents appear on the schedule within a short period of time. When we face the Bucks on March 3rd, it will be for the fourth time in a three week span. The three wins over them so far have been part of an overall stretch of 5 wins in 6 games.

Some might look at the Bucks’ record and say that those wins were not “quality” wins, but after watching all three games, I can say with certainty that we had to earn all three victories. It is worth mentioning that two of those wins were on the road. It makes me think that getting the sweep over the Bucks on March 3rd won’t be easy. In a season where each victory has even more importance than in a normal season, being able to get 4 wins over one team is a luxury.

Boo Baby Davis

After listening to Magic fans repeatedly boo Big Baby Glen Davis during last week’s victory over the Minnesota Timberwolves, Magic coach Stan Van Gundy defended his player, saying that fans should not have booed him.

I am of the opinion that the home fans should never boo a player wearing a Magic uniform. A player would have to do something quite awful to ever deserve to be booed by the home fans. So, I was very surprised and a bit dismayed when I heard the fans booing Davis.

It was only after the fact that I learned, along with everyone else, that Davis had lost his father only a few days before. In retrospect, it made the booing seem even more hurtful. It could be argued that the fans were booing Davis in a show of support for Stan Van Gundy. After all, Van Gundy is much beloved by the more discerning Magic fans who realize just how brilliant a coach he is. The fans were likely reacting negatively to Davis because of the practice altercation between he and Van Gundy that resulted in Davis’s two game suspension. In a popularity contest between Van Gundy and Davis, Van Gundy wins going away (and he would win against most Magic players for that matter!).

Of course, it could also be argued that the fans were booing Davis's 1 for 10 performance from the field that night. I doubt this is the case because, in general, Magic fans do not boo poor performance in the moment like that. Regardless of the reason, it was inopportune, and I’d like to think that the fans that did boo regretted it once they heard what Davis has been going through lately.

I for one hope his outlook, both on and off the court, takes a turn for the better from here on out.

New York Media

I had to chuckle a bit to myself last week when the New York Knicks’ Carmelo Anthony was reeling from the media’s questions about his ability to fit into his team’s new style of play under point guard Jeremy Lin. Anthony couldn’t believe that he, a perennial All-Star, was being asked if he would be able to find a place on the team of an undrafted, unheralded point guard with only a handful of starts to his credit.

Anthony is emblematic of the new type of young, sensitive all-star who wants to be in the bigger market but also wants everyone to like him and for everything to be perfect. He got his wish when he was traded from Denver, but things haven’t exactly worked out like he expected. The Knicks have struggled since his arrival and he has fought injuries and inconsistency. Now, it is a player other than himself that is viewed as the savior of a city who’s fan base orbits around “Basketball Mecca.”

Had this same scenario played out in Denver, I bet Anthony’s mindset would have been to blame the Denver media for asking such preposterous questions. It would have been yet another reason for him to want to leave the smaller market for the bright lights of the big city. But since it happened in New York, what is Anthony to say? He’s already on the biggest possible stage now. He got what he asked for. But the New York media shows no mercy and certainly no single player, no matter how big, is bigger than the New York fan, and media, base.

This message was not subject of approval by the NBA or the Orlando Magic. The views expressed in this blog do not necessarily reflect the views of the Orlando Magic or the NBA, but solely the writer.

Of course Glen Davis's 1 for 11 performance caused the boo from the fans

It's just something logical, if he had hit every freakin shot no one would boo him

Then again, i do agree that we should never boo our own players, unless we lose to the bobcats at home down by 50 points

• Upvote 1

Of course Glen Davis's 1 for 11 performance caused the boo from the fans

It's just something logical, if he had hit every freakin shot no one would boo him

Then again, i do agree that we should never boo our own players, unless we lose to the bobcats at home down by 50 points

Everything you said. Davis was playing like diarrhea that night and I understood the boo's. And don't say you weren't sitting on your couch watching the game and not freaking out whenever he touched the ball that night.

Everything you said. Davis was playing like diarrhea that night and I understood the boo's. And don't say you weren't sitting on your couch watching the game and not freaking out whenever he touched the ball that night.

Man I was at that game and EVERY time he shot it I was yelling at him. He played like crap !

• Upvote 1

Here is what I don't understand. We boo Davis after a few games but the guy always play's hard and play's well on D but no one ever boo's Duhon or Turk. I'm with LOD I don't feel that any player in our uniform should ever be boo'd but I really don't get how people can boo an effort guy.

Anyone who really watches basketball had to have known that Carmelo didn't compliment Amare. They had to have known that adding more offense to a team that needed defense because their coach could care less about D was going to be a problem. They also had to have known that over paying for a center when they were dying for a PG was a bad idea. The injuries saved them from this because they were going to release Lin and now they are wondering why it isn't working when you bring back a guy that hold's the ball forever? Big name players sound flashy but you need an entire team that compliments each other, Dwight would do well to think about that.

• Upvote 1

Regarding the NYK, I think they are going to have serious chemistry issues. Too many people need the ball between between Lin, Melo and Amare. IMHO, the first person to pop is Amare.

We got fans justifying booing our own players then wanna ***** when noone wants to play here. Pretty pathetic if you ask me.

Davis already doesn't want to play here. He already complained that he's in the same role as he was in Boston and making less money. Doesn't sound like somebody with a positive attitude to me. But.. he's good at diving in the first row and jumping on the floor.

Here is what I don't understand. We boo Davis after a few games but the guy always play's hard and play's well on D but no one ever boo's Duhon or Turk. I'm with LOD I don't feel that any player in our uniform should ever be boo'd but I really don't get how people can boo an effort guy.

Anyone who really watches basketball had to have known that Carmelo didn't compliment Amare. They had to have known that adding more offense to a team that needed defense because their coach could care less about D was going to be a problem. They also had to have known that over paying for a center when they were dying for a PG was a bad idea. The injuries saved them from this because they were going to release Lin and now they are wondering why it isn't working when you bring back a guy that hold's the ball forever? Big name players sound flashy but you need an entire team that compliments each other, Dwight would do well to think about that.

Who doesn't boo Duhon? Duhon is past his prime and super washed up anymore. I mean, the guy can occasionally get hot and sink a bunch of threes but who can't on the Magic? At least Turk is clutch in the 4th quarter (for the most part) and you never cringe when Hedo shoots a shot. I cringe when I see Big Baby take a shot and and cringe whenever I see Duhon dribble the ball.

Davis already doesn't want to play here. He already complained that he's in the same role as he was in Boston and making less money. Doesn't sound like somebody with a positive attitude to me. But.. he's good at diving in the first row and jumping on the floor.

Ok. Just realize that other players know we are booing are own players.