Sign in to follow this  
Avante

Vote of Confidence: Stan Van Gundy

Stan Van Gundy  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Stan Van Gundy

• Fire this man. Terrible coach that can't adjust and cost us the '09 finals.
    • I'm OK with this guy. Not a bad coach, not an elite coach. Middle of the pack.
    • I'm good with Stan. Brings out a lot in his players; there are no good coaches out there to sign.
    • Fire Otis first

My only complaint with Stan is he can be pretty stubborn with his rotations. But I think it is just because he doesn't have the trust in younger guys. JJ wasn't getting any time at first until he finally earned Stan's trust on defense and now he seems to be a Stan favorite.

• Upvote 1

First:

Second, if our team took better care of the ball, maybe Stan wouldn't have to constantly harp about it.

First, It may have happened one time. Not gonna agree that they need to play when leading by 20 with 3 min remaining because of things that can happen once a season (at most).

Second, of course its the players fault. After all, all is done by the players on the court. There he (SVG) gets praise/criticism. I wonder why his team is not better at protecting the ball, if he puts so much emphasis on it during interviews/press confrerences.

First, It may have happened one time. Not gonna agree that they need to play when leading by 20 with 3 min remaining because of things that can happen once a season (at most).

"I'm one of those people who watches and thinks, 'Why don't you get him out of the game?' " Reinsdorf said of Rose. "When Michael was still in the game and he would be in at the end of big wins, I'd say, 'Phil, why don't you take him out?' And Phil would say, 'When I was with the Knicks, an opponent once scored 23 straight points against us at the end of a game to win.' "

Reinsdorf rarely second-guesses his coaches and laughed that this was one time he wasn't going to win an argument.

"With Phil, he just wouldn't listen," he said. "He just kept bringing up that same game."

My link

So was Phil Jackson wrong for doing it?

Edit: Dammit Capt Hi-Top!! I just saw that you posted the same quote.

"I'm one of those people who watches and thinks, 'Why don't you get him out of the game?' " Reinsdorf said of Rose. "When Michael was still in the game and he would be in at the end of big wins, I'd say, 'Phil, why don't you take him out?' And Phil would say, 'When I was with the Knicks, an opponent once scored 23 straight points against us at the end of a game to win.' "

Reinsdorf rarely second-guesses his coaches and laughed that this was one time he wasn't going to win an argument.

"With Phil, he just wouldn't listen," he said. "He just kept bringing up that same game."

My link

So was Phil Jackson wrong for doing it?

Edit: Dammit Capt Hi-Top!! I just saw that you posted the same quote.

The best part, and why that quote was absolutely perfect, was that Manu complains that Stan leaves guys in the game during a blow out, and also complains that Stan isn't as good a coach as Phil, and then, low and behold, here you have the owner of the Bulls talking about how he used to question none other than Phil Jackson for his decision to leave MJ in at the end of blow outs. Absolutely perfect for the situation.

The best part, and why that quote was absolutely perfect, was that Manu complains that Stan leaves guys in the game during a blow out, and also complains that Stan isn't as good a coach as Phil, and then, low and behold, here you have the owner of the Bulls talking about how he used to question none other than Phil Jackson for his decision to leave MJ in at the end of blow outs. Absolutely perfect for the situation.

And it was probably missed by him until you pointed it out here.

Even if Phil Jackson does this, i still don't think it's a good strategy.

And Phil Jackson was much better than SVG. SVG is a decent coach, not elite.

Even if Phil Jackson does this, i still don't think it's a good strategy.

And Phil Jackson was much better than SVG. SVG is a decent coach, not elite.

So Phil is much better than Stan even though he does the same thing that you feel is a minus when Stan does it and your justification is because you don't think it is a good strategy? If you are trying to win the game and you obsess about winning that is just one of those things that you do as a coach. I would argue that being completely obsessed about winning is an attribute shared by any great coach.

Now you may be saying Phil is much better than Stan and the numbers, as in number of rings on his fingers prove it. You know what Phil had that Stan has never had? Kobe, Shaq, and Michael and Scottie. How did he fair prior to bringing Pau over to help Kobe? When has Phil EVER had to build a team or cobble together a lineup out of spare parts? Phil is a great coach, the only reason people like you are able to recognize that (and this is also why you can't see that Stan is a great coach as well) is because he has those rings.

So Phil is much better than Stan even though he does the same thing that you feel is a minus when Stan does it and your justification is because you don't think it is a good strategy? If you are trying to win the game and you obsess about winning that is just one of those things that you do as a coach. I would argue that being completely obsessed about winning is an attribute shared by any great coach.

Now you may be saying Phil is much better than Stan and the numbers, as in number of rings on his fingers prove it. You know what Phil had that Stan has never had? Kobe, Shaq, and Michael and Scottie. How did he fair prior to bringing Pau over to help Kobe? When has Phil EVER had to build a team or cobble together a lineup out of spare parts? Phil is a great coach, the only reason people like you are able to recognize that (and this is also why you can't see that Stan is a great coach as well) is because he has those rings.

I don't like the "people like you" part.

Yes, Phil is much better than Stan even though they both do one thing that is not good for the long term effects of the season.

Yes, they both want to win badly, and that is a good attribute.

In my list of best coaches, Pop is #1, then Phil #2. Phil had it much easier than probably anybody because of the players he was given to work with. But even with prime MJ, Scottie, Shaq and Kobe, winning 11 rings is not an easy task.

I think Stan needs to take the Boston approach, meaning give your older starters a game off every now and then. I dont think seeding is too important this year. Less games in a compressed schedule should mean just being as healthy as possible come playoffs. I think Stan knows this but needs the starting 5 out there to get their chemistry. It seems lacking this year. Also keep in mind we're not practicing much.

you keep talking about this boston approach...makes me convinced you haven't been following them very much the past few years. they have consistently started a lot better, i'm talking historically relevant records through 25 games, than they have finished the season and the reason they've cooled down is that their core guys either end up injured not playing or banged up struggling. doc hasn't made it a habit to sit anybody who could play, especially this early on. while i agree with you, the example you're bringing up isn't a solid one and, to be honest, for svg to go ahead and sit turk for a few games, as beneficial as that may sound, may not work out that well because there may not be enough precedent for sitting a wing in his early 30s to make me convinced that turk would accept it.