Sign in to follow this  
RickyBobby

Cheer Dwight

I honestly will be so dissipointed in in Orlando fans if the same thing happens here as did in Denver. Yes Dwight requested a trade. Many players do. Not everyone gets them either. Melo requested one, but instead of pouting when he didn't get one immediately, he showed up, did his job and continued playing his heart out. Kept putting up fantastic numbers the whole way through, while his own teams fans booed him every time he touched the ball.

And I just know the same thing will happen here. Because fans in the Central Florida area are idiots who will turn on someone in a heartbeat. Dwight will go out there, and continue to give everything he has for the team because that is the kind of player he is. That alone in itself is something to cheer for. Are you all telling me that you will boo him while he is putting up 25 pts, 12 rbs, and 3 blcks a night for us and leading Orlando to one victory after another? All because he requested a trade?

His job is to play basketball at his best for whatever uniform he is wearing. That's what he is under contract to do. He is perfectly within his right to request a trade. Players do it all the damn time, doesn't mean he will get it. It's not his fault that the media turns it into a circus. Dwight has made it clear, he want's a trade even though he likes Orlando and doesn't want to leave. He'd like to see the team become better and change so he doesn't have to do that, he just doesn't see it happening. Until he is traded however, he will continue to be a professional and play at his best for this team.

How in the hell is that unprofessional? Your telling me if you didn't like the people you worked with at all and had the ability to move to another job like he does you wouldn't? Hell, in 90% of the scenarios, most people would, and would give no warning what so ever out of fear of being fired for it. So don't give me this whole butt hurt attitude thing most of you guys are putting up.

And for those mad about he is handling it, the dude is freaking 25. He is not some damn experienced politician or business man trained in the art of spoken word. He is just at the age where most people are only just starting there professional careers. Few people in the world are qualified to handle a scenario where every single word they say, text, tweet, etc. is broken down on every single sports outlet imaginable then taken different ways by millions of people. Cut the dude a break, or at the very least, try to picture how you would handle this situation. I have no problem with how Dwight is handling this at all. It's a difficult time in his career and I'm sure were I in his situation, I'd probably go back on a few words I said too.

So I will be there on the home opener for the Magic, and the moment Dwight is announced I will cheer as loud as possible, and curse out every single fan for booing him. It is classless, and has no justification at all. The ONLY WAY their is justification for it is if Dwight refuses to play or throws games. There by hurting the team competiitively directly with his actions.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I honestly will be so dissipointed in in Orlando fans if the same thing happens here as did in Denver. Yes Dwight requested a trade. Many players do. Not everyone gets them either. Melo requested one, but instead of pouting when he didn't get one immediately, he showed up, did his job and continued playing his heart out. Kept putting up fantastic numbers the whole way through, while his own teams fans booed him every time he touched the ball.

And I just know the same thing will happen here. Because fans in the Central Florida area are idiots who will turn on someone in a heartbeat. Dwight will go out there, and continue to give everything he has for the team because that is the kind of player he is. That alone in itself is something to cheer for. Are you all telling me that you will boo him while he is putting up 25 pts, 12 rbs, and 3 blcks a night for us and leading Orlando to one victory after another? All because he requested a trade?

His job is to play basketball at his best for whatever uniform he is wearing. That's what he is under contract to do. He is perfectly within his right to request a trade. Players do it all the damn time, doesn't mean he will get it. It's not his fault that the media turns it into a circus. Dwight has made it clear, he want's a trade even though he likes Orlando and doesn't want to leave. He'd like to see the team become better and change so he doesn't have to do that, he just doesn't see it happening. Until he is traded however, he will continue to be a professional and play at his best for this team.

How in the hell is that unprofessional? Your telling me if you didn't like the people you worked with at all and had the ability to move to another job like he does you wouldn't? Hell, in 90% of the scenarios, most people would, and would give no warning what so ever out of fear of being fired for it. So don't give me this whole butt hurt attitude thing most of you guys are putting up.

And for those mad about he is handling it, the dude is freaking 25. He is not some damn experienced politician or business man trained in the art of spoken word. He is just at the age where most people are only just starting there professional careers. Few people in the world are qualified to handle a scenario where every single word they say, text, tweet, etc. is broken down on every single sports outlet imaginable then taken different ways by millions of people. Cut the dude a break, or at the very least, try to picture how you would handle this situation. I have no problem with how Dwight is handling this at all. It's a difficult time in his career and I'm sure were I in his situation, I'd probably go back on a few words I said too.

So I will be there on the home opener for the Magic, and the moment Dwight is announced I will cheer as loud as possible, and curse out every single fan for booing him. It is classless, and has no justification at all. The ONLY WAY their is justification for it is if Dwight refuses to play or throws games. There by hurting the team competiitively directly with his actions.

I would not boo in game. I was more thinking during introductions. It would be classless to boo him helping the team in game.

I would not boo in game. I was more thinking during introductions. It would be classless to boo him helping the team in game.

Why? Really what is the point in booing him? Because he asked for a trade? Happens all the time. There is nothing in his contract saying he can't ask for a trade. He feels he will be more successful somewhere else and has the power to try and get that to happen sooner rather then later. I don't really see why that makes him in anyway a bad guy. If you wanna boo him when he is wearing another jersey great go ahead. But what in the heck does it accomplish if you boo him when his name is announced? Your own personal feelings?

I'm not trolling you here. I really am struggling to understand your point of view period. I don't get it.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Are you all telling me that you will boo him while he is putting up 25 pts, 12 rbs, and 3 blcks a night for us and leading Orlando to one victory after another? All because he requested a trade?

Yes.

All those stats mean nothing if he isn't going to try to lead us to a championship this year. All they do is pad his stats so that he can go somewhere else. Why should we cheer for that?

Our city's team took a risk and took him first overall (over the highly celebrated Okafor, catching alot of slack that night), hired trainers to make his body beast-like, hired a coach to give him elite defensive skills; all paid through our money (tickets, merchandise, and what not) and now he wants to take all what he's learned over here and take it to another city to help them win? Screw that man.

I am not saying he doesn't have a right to do that, but don't expect me to be happy about it. If he wants to leave, fine, but I am certainly not cheering his elite abilities that he *so* wants to take to another city.

• Upvote 1

Yes.

All from that? Really? So if you wanted to leave your job for another place where you feel is a better opportunity and asked your boss if you could do that, is there something wrong with that? Would you think he is perfectly in his right to be mad at you and for everyone around you to treat you like an outcast?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

All from that? Really? So if you wanted to leave your job for another place where you feel is a better opportunity and asked your boss if you could do that, is there something wrong with that? Would you think he is perfectly in his right to be mad at you and for everyone around you to treat you like an outcast?

Oops i added more to my previous post, so take a gander.

BTW, there is nothing wrong per say, from an objective stand point, of wanting to switch jobs. But if a company hires you, teaches everything you know so that you become the best at it, investing time and money into you so that you DO become the best at it, don't be surprised if they are bitter that you want to take those talents to another company. Especially when that other company isn't necessarily paying you more. It makes you look opportunistic and ungrateful, which is not a positive trait in my opinion.

Booing serves absolutely no purpose. The guy's on twitter 24/7. I'm fairly sure he's already felt the heat from our "fanbase". He's a top 3 player in the game. The possibility of him staying, however slim, is the organization's #1 priority. Whatever shred of possibility there is will be destroyed if he's booed on opening **** night.

I think he's treated the situation terribly, as well, but that doesn't mean it's a done deal yet. When/if it happens, feel free to unleash your fury on him, but until then, it would be awfully premature.

I hope they cheer the **** outta him. I also hope there aren't too many people with big boo hoo signs pleading and begging him to stay. "WE NEED YOU SUPERMAN!!! PLEASE STAY!!!". It's kind of like catching a bird with an open palm. It's also like a 38 Special song. It's like a lot of things, but the point is, we shouldn't be TOO needy.

As a Magic fan and a basketball fan, I don't think I could boo Dwight Howard unless it was clear he was not playing his hardest or was purposefully tanking. I do not think he is the kind of player to do that -- honestly he may not know how to do that. It has been an absolute pleasure to watch him these last 7-8 years and I am still in awe of the things he can do on a basketball court. Take a step back and just marvel at him.

It is going to suck if he goes to another team. No doubt. It is going to gut this franchise and it is going to be difficult to move forward and get back to these levels. There are going to be hard feelings. And Dwight has not handled things great with the press. But I think Dwight really loves Orlando (if not, he is doing a great job acting) but there are other opportunities he wants to explore. If the team were a serious competitor for a championship things might be different. We are not there though.

Most importantly on the cheering/booing debate, it felt like Shaquille O'Neal had some animosity toward the city as he left. I sense none of that from Dwight. I will be a Magic fan first, but I don't think I will ever be able to boo Dwight (at least as things stand now). Not after seeing him grow up here and then seeing him literally carry this Magic team to 52 wins last year. The guy has done everything we could have asked for an more. Sometimes (and it sucks), you just need change as a person for whatever reason (those are not necessarily important). At least he had the decency to give the Magic a chance to get something.

Break ups hurt. But I hope everyone can appreciate what he was able to accomplish in a Magic uniform.

• Upvote 3

Go ahead lamb and coddle these guys more. Embrace a guy who demands to be traded. What kind of fan are you?

Exactly. Its about the team, not the players. A lot of people here have been cheering for the Magic since 'way back when' (you can elaborate that however you want - Since they drafted Anderson, Since they first won, since they draft/traded for Shaq/Penny, since 'Nick Anderson stole the ball... Nick Anderson stole the ball from Michael Jordan'... etc. etc. etc.) The faces are always going to change, if its about the players and not the team you have it all wrong, imo.

The players want what they think is greener pastures? Fine by me. I'm loyal to the team because you can't rely on player's to be loyal to the team or the city. Still, losing Dwight will hurt probably more than Shaq did I think, for me at least, and when Shaq left I was pissed and devastated... I really thought Dwight would stick around here and he'd be the guy to lead us to a championship.

Are you kidding? He is demanding a trade from a team we as fans support. He is a phenomenal player, the kind you want on your team. How should we feel? Completely content? Completely content to basically be spurned once again? That is completely ridiculous. As fans we have every right to be pissed at him. I have no real problem with how he is handling it so far, but how any fan of this team could possibly not feel annoyed or pissed at this situation is beyond me and giving him way more rope than he deserves.

I hope they cheer the **** outta him. I also hope there aren't too many people with big boo hoo signs pleading and begging him to stay. "WE NEED YOU SUPERMAN!!! PLEASE STAY!!!". It's kind of like catching a bird with an open palm. It's also like a 38 Special song. It's like a lot of things, but the point is, we shouldn't be TOO needy.

I think you are mistaken as to how much of a role fans have in this matter... I strongly doubt fans padding his ego by begging him to stay, or fans booing him relentlessly during practice and games will change much. Fans have shown their feelings by buying his jerseys and shirts in bulk, cheering him every year he's been here, buying tickets allowing the team to offer him a max contract. Not much more to say, and the moment he said "I want out" he said all he needed to say, we're not going to change his mind.

Anyone that Boo's is scum. I think the 'Boo' should be reserved for players that do something dirty (ie. Garnett punching Dwight's arm, or, Bynum's push on Barea). Maybe if this was Dwight's third year and he wanted out.... Or if he did the Lebron 'I am taking my talents to...' tv special. But he has been here for 7 seasons and he is still on the team and there is equal chance that he will be next season.