Drain-O

The Official Dwight Howard Everything Thread

Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojYahooNBA)

3/2/12 1:09 PM

On keeping Dwight Howard, Magic CEO Alex Martins tells Y!: "We’ve had good conversations with him, and with his people. That gives me hope."

Martins reiterates to Y! Sports that Orlando is still working to convince Dwight Howard to re-sign -- and not yet preparing to trade him.

If we haven't been able to convince him of anything in these last few months, what are we going to say to change his mind in the next two weeks?

There isn't anything Martins, DeVos, Otis, Stan, etc. can say to convince him to stay. We have to DO something to make him want to stay. I just can't see Dwight re-signing long term with this franchise when Hedo, Jameer and J-Rich are the core guys behind him and Anderson (who is streaky). If Dwight is to remain in Orlando, he'll need to see better teammates. I can't blame him for that either. We'll just see how these next two weeks go, but I still believe this organization has to make a move of some sort.

Might I suggest then, and I know this is going to sound crazy, but perhaps staying out of the "Official Dwight Howard Everything Thread" thread.

Haha...unfortunately that's impossible...I've tried.

• Upvote 1

If we haven't been able to convince him of anything in these last few months, what are we going to say to change his mind in the next two weeks?

There isn't anything Martins, DeVos, Otis, Stan, etc. can say to convince him to stay. We have to DO something to make him want to stay. I just can't see Dwight re-signing long term with this franchise when Hedo, Jameer and J-Rich are the core guys behind him and Anderson (who is streaky). If Dwight is to remain in Orlando, he'll need to see better teammates. I can't blame him for that either. We'll just see how these next two weeks go, but I still believe this organization has to make a move of some sort.

It's so sad, but I completely agree with this assessment. I mean, we MIGHT sign someone in the next week, but I'm not holding my breath.

Even then, we COULD sign him in the offseason as a free agent, but....who knows?

At this point, I just want it settled one way or the other. I wish the dude would just sign an extension and start helping us recruit people, but I completely understand, given how most of our recent moves have worked out, why he doesn't.

not directed at anyone, but i wish people would stop saying "sign an extension" but rather "pick up his option" if they're talking about the 1 year more option.

obviously it makes no sense to sign an actual contract extension financially.

i think if he agreed to pick up his option and we make a trade or 2 it would 1) screw the nets unless deron also wants to wait a year, but it seems harder to wait in NJ and i'd bet he'd go to dallas in that case and 2) would let people make other trades and stop salivating over howard and get on with life for now and maybe we could make a minor move or two and be in better position for after next year to clear space and sign a legit guy, waive hedo and duhon if we can swing it cap-wise or move them as expirings, maybe get a new gm in the off season etc, just be in a better position overall

not directed at anyone, but i wish people would stop saying "sign an extension" but rather "pick up his option" if they're talking about the 1 year more option.

obviously it makes no sense to sign an actual contract extension financially.

i think if he agreed to pick up his option and we make a trade or 2 it would 1) screw the nets unless deron also wants to wait a year, but it seems harder to wait in NJ and i'd bet he'd go to dallas in that case and 2) would let people make other trades and stop salivating over howard and get on with life for now and maybe we could make a minor move or two and be in better position for after next year to clear space and sign a legit guy, waive hedo and duhon if we can swing it cap-wise or move them as expirings, maybe get a new gm in the off season etc, just be in a better position overall

I am guilty I did not phrase one of my posts correctly but did intend on the meaning of picking up the player option.

Our offense scored 102 points last night. Sure they weren't great in the fourth, but it should've been enough with the cushion we had in the 4th. I'm not expecting to shut down Westbrook or Durant. Westbrook was scoring all night against us when we were leading, but in the fourth it turned into easy bucket after easy bucket for them. It forced SVG to go to zone because we just couldn't protect the rim and that backfired on us because they hit some threes. I acknowledge our offense fizzled out in the 4th, but our defense totally collapsed as well. I don't think Ellis would automatically fix what happened last night. Especially since he is the kind of player who will keep shooting whether they are going down or not.

I understand what you are saying as well. I just think it is more likely that we come away with a win if we are able to score a little more easily in the 4th. I think it changes how our team performs when they start seeing a scoring draught. It also gives the other team confidence when they see that we can't score on them, that factors into their performance.

Here is how I look at it, prior to the 4th was OKC locking us down? I thought their D was sloppy for a majority of the game but once they turned that on and our offense went dead we were in trouble because unlike us they can score when necessary. As soon as our shots stopped falling and they started going to the basket and getting to the line I told my friend that I was with that this was what we lack. They were able to score while stopping the clock and catching their breath, we can't do that.

I would love to improve the D, we do need improvement there but if I have to pick one thing that has been killing us year in and year out it's been the lack of a guy that can generate points when shots aren't falling.

quesiton. did the new cba get rid of that rule where you cannot trade consecutive 1st rounders? this would make things more interesting for a dwight or sidekick trade. i dont think an ellis is available w/o picks and doubt wed trade 2013 pick not knowing if dwight will lead the team next year, otherwise trade a possible top 3 pick. also, cant say i wouldnt have already traded dwight to nj for lopez, marshon, houston and njs pick this year. that would give us two solid chips and three picks in the 5-15 range (ours would drop, njs would rise after dwight trade).

quesiton. did the new cba get rid of that rule where you cannot trade consecutive 1st rounders? this would make things more interesting for a dwight or sidekick trade. i dont think an ellis is available w/o picks and doubt wed trade 2013 pick not knowing if dwight will lead the team next year, otherwise trade a possible top 3 pick. also, cant say i wouldnt have already traded dwight to nj for lopez, marshon, houston and njs pick this year. that would give us two solid chips and three picks in the 5-15 range (ours would drop, njs would rise after dwight trade).

Never. The rule will forever exist in the CBA me thinks to prevent GM's like Otis from going full Stepien mode and mortgaging their futures away.

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏ @WojYahooNBA

Josh Smith has wanted trade for past year, and league sources say ATL GM Rick Sund has always been partial to Ray Allen, not Kevin Garnett.