Drain-O

The Official Dwight Howard Everything Thread

Chris Broussard today basically said the reason Dwight said what he said last night was basically to look like the good guy. That way if the Magic trade him now, the organization would be villified, not Dwight.

He says that if Dwight was sincere in his statement, that he should have no problem extending for 1 more year with Orlando.

He's basically saying Dwight is "sacrificing" the next 20+ games to play this season out, so that when he opts out this summer, he could sign with a more loaded Brooklyn team.

Still saying if Dwight won't extend in less than 24 hours, Orlando should trade him or lose him for good.

Broussard just posted the article about it: http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7686147/orlando-magic-saying-trade-dwight-howard-absent-commitment-sources-say

No, i hit him a while ago, havent got nothing back. I will say that i disagree with the media when they say Dwight has committed to the Nets; he has not yet

YBR I'm one of the biggest Dwight Howard fans there is and I also speak to Howard (About music and things, I don't talk to him about this stuff) But I even think he's out the door. Could he be waiting to see what NJ can pick up in the offseason before he makes his final decision sure, but I don't see that happening.

I love how you guys continue to post things from people like Chris Broussard when they've been wrong every step of the way. You'd think you lot would have learned by now.

ESPN - Magic to trade Howard if he does not give a commitment

howard2.jpg

Dwight Howard's public plea late Tuesday to remain in Orlando for the rest of the season has only served to anger the Magic and has instead pushed them closer than ever to trading their superstar center, according to league sources with knowledge of the situation.

Convinced that Howard, on the advice of his agent, is trying to manipulate the situation, the Magic are telling teams they will trade Howard before Thursday's 3 p.m. ET deadline if he does not commit to them beyond this season, league sources said.

"Dwight's dreaming if he thinks Orlando won't trade him without a commitment,'' a source said. "He needs to make some small commitment to them. They're saying it can't be one way.''

While the Magic hope Howard will sign a five-year contract extension, they would settle for a commitment from him not to opt out of the final year of his contract. That would keep Howard in Orlando next season and give the Magic more time to pull off a trade for a star to play beside him, enhancing their chances of keeping him long term.

The tension between the two sides has grown. According to sources, the Magic are incensed with Howard's agent, Dan HWNSNBU, whom they believe has manipulated Howard and is the driving force behind his push to leave the franchise.

Tuesday, ESPN the Magazine's Ric Bucher, citing sources, reported that the club had giving Howard the right to decide the fates of general manager Otis Smith and coach Stan Van Gundy. The team responded to that report with a brief statement asserting only ownership would make such changes.

And the Magic believe HWNSNBU's statement Tuesday afternoon, where he denied Howard had asked for or wanted that power, was nothing but a ploy to put the team in a bad light.

Already bothered, Orlando was angered even more by Dwight's comments after Tuesday's victory over Miami in which he said he wanted to stay with the Magic throughout the season. When asked about the risk the Magic would be taking by doing that, Howard said they should "roll the dice.''

Tuesday night, Howard said he has talked with Magic owner Rich DeVos and other front-office executives about his desire to stay for the past two weeks.

But Howard would not commit to signing a long-term contract extension and could opt out of his deal to enter free agency in the summer.

With Monta Ellis gone, Magic set their sights on Dwight Howard's other choice: Josh Smith. Not sure they have pieces to get him.

YBR I'm one of the biggest Dwight Howard fans there is and I also speak to Howard (About music and things, I don't talk to him about this stuff) But I even think he's out the door. Could he be waiting to see what NJ can pick up in the offseason before he makes his final decision sure, but I don't see that happening.

Im not saying I see him staying here long term, but the idea that he's committed to the Nets already is crazy. Early in the season it was kind of like that, but now he's honestly undecided. He wants to play with Deron BUT he also loves being a star in Orlando. All he's wanted was the FO to get him some help for the playoffs...

its been a quiet day in the organization.. I dont know if theyre waiting til after the game tonight or what, I was told yesterday 80pct chance dwight is traded. After last nights comments, id put it to 95pct. Expect a deal to be done to nets or Lakers for Bynum if were lucky.

Dunno. Maybe to keep from adding to the media circus around the team? That is the only thing I can think of. If Martins is already calling the shots would there be any other reason to keep a figure head?

Two reasons why Otis still has a job.

1) Magic need a fall guy if thing go badly (which Otis deserves)

2) Alex Martins's leading candidate for GM will not be available until the season is over

Im not saying I see him staying here long term, but the idea that he's committed to the Nets already is crazy. Early in the season it was kind of like that, but now he's honestly undecided. He wants to play with Deron BUT he also loves being a star in Orlando. All he's wanted was the FO to get him some help for the playoffs...

His team is 3rd in the east, a big movement of players should not be a desire of his just for him to play with one of his buddies. Its not just about what he wants, its about whats best for the organization trade wise and he is too immature to understand that still.. one day he will see.