AddiFB

Offseason Thread Part VII: The Fall of The Lockout

none of those guys have more value than Lopez.

He's still on his rookie contract as of right now. Only anderson is still on his rookie contract but he's not better than Lopez.

I do think Nelson is a better player. But he gets paid about what he's worth. The same is not true for Lopez. You can argue all you want about how we will be eventually overpaid, but we're dealing with the now.

In any event the Nets would not deal with us in any scenario for Deron Williams so let's just move on.

He's on the last year of said rookie contract, and teams know he's going to want big, BIG money, to pay for an overly soft 7 footer who gets destroyed when he goes up against real centers (like our own). How is that valuable? As an expiring it's not valuable because, like you said, it's not big. Who would actually want to re-sign Brooke Freaking Lopez to a lengthy, pricey deal when now he has a foot fracture that just took out the 2nd best big man in the game and forced a very early retirement on?

Yeah, he definitely has more value than the All-Star point guard who, when healthy, can absolutely abuse teams. Because he's tall.

Been watching him since duke. I know he sux. But you can't throw him in based off only two preseason games and less then two weeks with the team.

Heck, one preseason game. Hughes didn't get off the bench in the first one.

We all knew we'd be stuck with Duhon as the backup when it became obvious Otis wasn't going to adress the position. Hughes isn't a natural PG and hasn't been with the team long enough to get that role. Hopefully something is done about this because I don't want a season of Duhon getting minutes. Bringing him to Orlando was Otis' 3rd biggest fail behind the Rashard contract and Phoenix trade of last year.

none of those guys have more value than Lopez.

He's still on his rookie contract as of right now. Only anderson is still on his rookie contract but he's not better than Lopez.

I do think Nelson is a better player. But he gets paid about what he's worth. The same is not true for Lopez. You can argue all you want about how we will be eventually overpaid, but we're dealing with the now.

In any event the Nets would not deal with us in any scenario for Deron Williams so let's just move on.

I' have to think that GM's would consider the massive overpaying he will get when they consider trading for him. They get a few months of him at a great price followed by 4 years at an outrageous price.

Heck, one preseason game. Hughes didn't get off the bench in the first one.

We all knew we'd be stuck with Duhon as the backup when it became obvious Otis wasn't going to adress the position. Hughes isn't a natural PG and hasn't been with the team long enough to get that role.

This is probably why I'm at home and not coaching like SVG, but why not move Turk to the bench and start Q? Then you could have Hughes playing the backup PG, but without needing to handle the ball and run the offense, since that's pretty much the only thing Turk can do effectively.

I' have to think that GM's would consider the massive overpaying he will get when they consider trading for him. They get a few months of him at a great price followed by 4 years at an outrageous price.

I don't think that will change anything. Teams have shown they are more than happy to overpay for size. Look at the contract DeAndre Jordan just got for aveaging 6/6. I don't think many dumb NBA front offices will mind paying more than that to a seven footer who averaged 20 ppg.

I can't stand Lopez, but the NBA values size. Teams would certainly give up more for him than Jameer. Not even much of a question IMO.

This is probably why I'm at home and not coaching like SVG, but why not move Turk to the bench and start Q? Then you could have Hughes playing the backup PG, but without needing to handle the ball and run the offense, since that's pretty much the only thing Turk can do effectively.

Maybe have Hughes bring the ball up, get it to Hedo, and then let Hedo facilitate. Hedo's not real quick, so getting into the offense earlier, while still running it through Turk, sounds like a good idea.

Totally agree Hedo should be coming off the bench at this point in his career.

He's on the last year of said rookie contract, and teams know he's going to want big, BIG money, to pay for an overly soft 7 footer who gets destroyed when he goes up against real centers (like our own). How is that valuable? As an expiring it's not valuable because, like you said, it's not big. Who would actually want to re-sign Brooke Freaking Lopez to a lengthy, pricey deal when now he has a foot fracture that just took out the 2nd best big man in the game and forced a very early retirement on?

Yeah, he definitely has more value than the All-Star point guard who, when healthy, can absolutely abuse teams. Because he's tall.

look at it from a dollars perspective.

If you're a GM and trying to build a team would you want an undersized point guard hitting 30 and seen his best days? or a young center who can at least be a piece to something bigger? Don't compare Lopez to Howard, that's absurd. Compare him to the horford's and bogut's and noah's of the league. He isn't much worse (or better) then any of those guys. Every night he has a chance to compete against the likes of those guys.

And, I think you are greatly exaggerating how much money he will get next season when he resigns.

I'm probably the biggest fan of the meerkat on this board. But anyone who thinks that he has a higher value then Brook Lopez just doesn't understand the current state of the NBA. A seven footer with offensive skills no where close to his prime? Not even close. Size is too much of a premium in the NBA.

I like Big Baby, I like his attitude and I like that he is a better defender and team player than Bass. But I don't think he is worth the contract he got and with our star player on the verge of leaving and rebuilding on the horizon, I just don't want more overpaid role players eating up our cap space. I was hoping we would begin looking to the future for a change, but we are still just spending money blindly. I'm happy to have Davis in Orlando though, I look forward to seeing what he does, just not looking forward to him eating up cap space when Dwight is gone.

Hopefully by not looking for a roleplayer (I think we can agree BBD would be a starter on just about every team out there), it will help to keep Dwight around rather than chase him out the door. I'm still holding out hope Dwight doesn't leave.

And, I think you are greatly exaggerating how much money he will get next season when he resigns.

In a league where pretty crappy centers are getting some big money, Lopez will get overpaid by someone. I actually agree with your point about building a team around a young center vs an old PG, but I must heap a whole lot of scorn on the silly notion that their pieces are better than ours. I just listed Nelson as an example and everyone's kinda fixated on that. I'd also take Anderson before Lopez. There's a big man, who actually fights for rebounds instead of letting Kris Freaking Humphries go get them instead. Better shooter too, and can also drive to the basket on occasion.

Basically, I think Orlando has much better trade assets than NJ. And no state income tax. And warmer weather. And it isn't New Jersey.

lawl one good game by Fat Mamba and it's "YOU GUYS WERE WRONG"

Not sure where you've been, but he's been putting together a pretty respectable career so far. Granted, he's young, but he's pretty far from a bust in this league.