AddiFB

Offseason Thread Part VII: The Fall of The Lockout

I actually like what ESPN is doing... They're taking crap like we already lost Dwight Howard, and when we make moves for Iggy/Ellis/Jsmoove, then we'll shock the world and they eat their words.

Can't wait.

KBergCBS Ken Berger In resumption of CP3-Lakers talks with Houston, Hornets under directive from NBA to get younger players, quality picks in deal, souces say.

Man, I'd hope so. Was a steal for the Lakers (as usual), was okay for NO, was TERRIBLE for Houston.

KBergCBS Ken Berger In resumption of CP3-Lakers talks with Houston, Hornets under directive from NBA to get younger players, quality picks in deal, souces say.

Makes complete sense. If you are the Hornets you shouldn't go into rebuilding mode with two guys on the wrong side of thirty making over $11 million a year with 2 and 5 year contracts. Martin is making around $12 million for two years. The first round pick they would have received was lottery protected until 2017. Those are terrible rebuilding pieces. They are just good enough to let you win about 30 games a year and prevent you from getting good picks and free agents.

Makes complete sense. If you are the Hornets you shouldn't go into rebuilding mode with two guys on the wrong side of thirty making over $11 million a year with 2 and 5 year contracts. Martin is making around $12 million for two years. The first round pick they would have received was lottery protected until 2017. Those are terrible rebuilding pieces. They are just good enough to let you win about 30 games a year and prevent you from getting good picks and free agents.

Plus adding several million in payroll!

I've been reading since Page 250, here's some random thoughts as I go along:

-I see Drain-O has the Garrity for Signature Of The Year on lock already. I literally threw my head back and LOLed.

-I am THRILLED with the Bass-for-Davis trade, especially as I see that they both get about the same amount of $$ per year, around the old MLE. That's not to even mention if it also helps keep Dwight happy. I think at worst the trade is a wash.

-Not only no Bass, but I'm also thrilled to hear about Gilbert being amnestied. I really think he can have a bounce-back campaign with healthier knees, but it is SO not worth speanding 19.2 million against the Cap to find out. Other than the obviously important Dwight weirdness of the last 18 hours, I think it's been really good news so far on the Magic front. Now if we could get either Iggy or Monta, AND either one of them is on Dwight's "list?" Look out.. but that seems like in the CP3-to-Orlando last summer realm right now, so no holding my breath. Yet.

-Back to Gilbert.. do we really have the full MLE again now? I thought the Magic were still barely over the cap? Did we just use that MLE on Big Baby, or were we under the cap enough for half a second to not need it? Looking for clarification on this one.

-I think Cook to the Thunder is a good deal for them, they need shooting. Which Thabo Sefolosha (spelling?) certainly doesn't provide.

-Overall this day (as of 6:22 pm EST) went a hell of a lot better than I was expecting! Screw Chris Broussard, for real. Not what you like hearing at 3:30 am when you're trying to get your kid to bed.

P.S. By the freggin' way.. mods.. when there's an actual Magic news story that's gone down, such as Gilbert Arenas being cut or Brandon Bass beign traded for Glen Davis, can it PLEASE get its own thread without me having to spend an hour trying to wade through a big offseason thread? I understand trying to herd all the opinions in one place, but c'mon. Seriously! It's called a message board, not a sticky board.

• Upvote 4

30 wins? they would do better than that. I'd say at .500 or slightly above.

They had a top 10 defensive rating, and 5th in opponent points/game. Now they have lots of offense; I thought the players really bought into Monty last season preaching defense.