AddiFB

Offseason Thread Part VII: The Fall of The Lockout

The Nets trade is average. The picks are gonna be average and Lopez is average. And of course Turk is going to be included in any Dwight trade, unless it's for a superstar.

If we trade Dwight, my dream player would be Blake G.

Clips already noted they'll give up anyone outside of him.

Clips already noted they'll give up anyone outside of him.

I know but I can't fathom Dwight signing an extension with the Clips ... ever

I would rather take the chance of Dwight walking than make a crappy trade that only gets us mediocre players and distant non-lotttery picks.

The Nets already gave up their 2012 pick to the Jazz for Deron Williams so the picks offered are for 2013 and beyond. If they indeed keep Deron and have Dwight the picks will be in the high 20's which have little value.

The Nets spent their best trade assets already and the Lakers have nothing we want either.

The Jazz got rookie Derrick Favors, Devin Harris, the 3rd pick in the 2011 draft and the Nets 2012 pick for Deron Williams and we are supposed to jump at Brooks Thompson, 2 likely to be crappy future picks and taking Hedo off our hands??

The Magic do not exist to make Dwight wishes to play somewhere else come true......give us a deal of real value and MAYBE we should listen but so far all I hear is crap.

• Upvote 2

I agree, the thought of Dwight leaving for absolutely nothing makes me sick. Lopez isn't the next..well Dwight, but he probably has more upside than Orton. If we do the deal with the Nets this is what I want to happen.

1. If I was management I'd demand they take Gilbert over Turk, and then just amnesty Turk. If Turk gets bid on by another team ownership will probably only be on the hook for around 13 million total for the next two years (assuming he gets an offer of at least 3-4 million per year from another team), instead of the 35 million or so they'd have to pay to make Gil disappear (again assuming he gets an offer of around 3 million per year). That's a big difference. If NJ wants Dwight bad enough, they'll take the deal.

2. One of the players I'd also demand in return would be Morrow. I've only seen him play a handful of times, don't know much about him other than he's lights out from behind the arc. He's also relatively young. If we rebuilt the team correctly a sharp shooter like Morrow could be a solid piece to the puzzle, provided he's not atrocious in all other aspects of the game...again I haven't seen him play much so I'm not sure on that point.

3. Offer Lopez and Nelson to Boston for Rondo and fillers. Boston wants more offense from the PG spot, Jameer provides that, and they also don't have a center on the roster worth a crap. We'd get a solid PG in return who's solid defensively and would be that "pass first" PG everyone around here wants so badly.

If all the above moves happened we'd have a payroll of roughly 40 million with Harper and Liggins still left to sign.

PG: Rondo, Duhon

SG: JJ, Morrow

SF: Harper, ?

PF: Bass/Anderson (or vice versa, relax)

C: Orton

With plenty of money left over we could go after either Nene or Gasol, and perhaps Butler to start at SF. We'd have flexibility next offseason with our extra first round picks, we could trade up, trade them away..whatever. This definitely isn't my dream team, but I'd rather go this route than letting Dwight walk for nothing, being stuck with Hedo and HOPING we could land a top FA next year with a Dwight-less team. Cap room only matters if players want to come here.

That team would struggle to score 60 points a game.

I'm not sure where to begin.... There's Dwights comments... Other teams are attempting to prey on the Magic... The Magic's Salary Cap looks bad.... We have broken million dollar players.... Then there is Otis at the heart of it all.

Dwights Comments: "I don't know what more I can do"

Answer: hit some f-ing freethrows for once in your life Dwight, that's what more you could do. Also stop being a girl around the refs and causing senseless drama between you and them. If you did those things... We would of been Champs already.

Other teams preying: Nothing new there, we have always been the incubator for other teams... Why change now... On the other hand, screw them. If Dwight wants to go, let him go for free. There is no telling if draft picks will work out, so you can never get equal talent back for Dwight. It will always be a loss for us. And if we play against Dwight, we foul him and send him to the line.

Magic Salary Cap: Its FUBAR'd due to horrible trades and player movements. We should of stayed the course and kept our team from beginning last year. We would of had space under the new CBA, we would of had options long term... We don't now. We tried to paste a team together in the middle of a season that was doomed to begin with. We have 2 players that need to have their salary reduced... With the ability to only shed one.

Otis: I like him... He has done some good trades in the past to set us up... But then he has made trades that basically negated the long term setup for a short term goal. It wasn't necessary to trade Lee for VC... Trade Lew for Arenas... Gortat for Turk... It basically set us back 3yrs. Either you get your crap straight Otis or leave. Take your personal feelings out of the equation.

I hope I'm wrong... I hope Dwight stays and we make the moves for a championship team lead by Dwight.

(iPhone)

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Magic Salary Cap: Its FUBAR'd due to horrible trades and player movements. We should of stayed the course and kept our team from beginning last year. We would of had space under the new CBA, we would of had options long term... We don't now. We tried to paste a team together in the middle of a season that was doomed to begin with. We have 2 players that need to have their salary reduced... With the ability to only shed one.

This is not true. The Magic are just as much players in the CP3/Deron race as anyone else. Amesting Gunbert, and declining JJ, Orton and Ryan's options frees up quite a bit of money. Jameer and Bass both have player options and are arguably the most tradeable assets on the team. The only guys who are on long-term deals are Hedouche, Qbert and Duhon. This next season will have to be pretty much thrown away but the amnesty has given us flexibility we previously didn't have.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Where is this info coming from? HoopsHype has only Orton having a team option next year, with Dwight, Arenas, and Bass having player options. I don't see any kind of option for JJ or Jameer.

Hoopshype hasn't updated their stuff. Shamsports has all the details.

JJ is fully unguaranteed if waived before July 8th next year.

Where is this info coming from? HoopsHype has only Orton having a team option next year, with Dwight, Arenas, and Bass having player options. I don't see any kind of option for JJ or Jameer.

JJ's contract is unguaranteed if cut before July 2012. Meaning his 6 million can be shed off the cap.

Assuming we can dump all contracts except Hedo, Duhon and Q that gives us about 39 million in cap space. Don't think that is good enough for two max deals. But who knows. Plus even if we did keep Dwight and add CP3 or D-Will, the new CBA will make it harder to fill out our roster with role players. So it is pretty tough going forward, just have to hope for the best.

This is not true. The Magic are just as much players in the CP3/Deron race as anyone else. Amesting Gunbert, and declining JJ, Orton and Ryan's options frees up quite a bit of money. Jameer and Bass both have player options and are arguably the most tradeable assets on the team. The only guys who are on long-term deals are Hedouche, Qbert and Duhon. This next season will have to be pretty much thrown away but the amnesty has given us flexibility we previously didn't have.

Agree wholeheartely! Tired of this defeatist "Dwight is leaving anyway get what you can for him" attitude.

If you believe this team as constructive can not win then blow it up and aggressively go after CP3 this summer. Trade away everything we can to clear space and work with Dwight to recruit a big name here like Wade ending up doing.

Dwight is not going to want to leave money on the table to leave for the Clippers or Nets if he believes he can win here.

I would much rather go down swinging at chance to win a championship than trade for "the best we can get" which will only guarantee a annual early playoff exit.