Sign in to follow this  
Fultz4thewin

Offseason Thread part VI: Return of the Lockout

Sadly have to agree with you, even though it kills me. In college, I was one of those "practice squad" guys that played against our girls' team. I didn't get into basketball until my senior year in high school, so this was a way I could contribute and play games.

Granted, this was at a small university, and some of those girls were really, really good, but, as a 5'9 PG, I was getting blocks pretty regularly and, with a 190lbs frame, was able to guard PF and C outside the post just by using my lower center of gravity and keeping them from getting to their sweet spots.

Of course, this ignores that the women's game is more predicated on ball movement than freakish athleticism. Most girls can't dunk or blow by you like you're holding still, so working plays to get open shots is a much bigger part of the game.

Now I live in a town with a GREAT WNBA team (and no NBA team because of some asshat from OKC), it's fun to go watch the games.

I watched the last two games of the WNBA Finals last year. Lauren Jackson was so much better than everyone else on the court that series, it blew my mind.

Still though, it's a fairly uninteresting brand of basketball(all the flaws of small conference men's college basketball, but way worse), but I imagine it'd be a lot more interesting/engaging to see in person.

I watched the last two games of the WNBA Finals last year. Lauren Jackson was so much better than everyone else on the court that series, it blew my mind.

Still though, it's a fairly uninteresting brand of basketball(all the flaws of small conference men's college basketball, but way worse), but I imagine it'd be a lot more interesting/engaging to see in person.

Honestly, it probably comes from helping out the women's team in college. I prefer the NBA game, but WNBA is fun to watch, too. It's just very, very different. It's literally like watching a different game (like Canadian Football vs NFL).

I would put $100 on WNBA against any High School team....

I would put $200 on a single bench WNBA player destroying foolish people like DOM on the court.

I wish there was a realistic way to set this up because it would be the easiest money I've ever won.

Don't get me started on Florida. We got crazy women killing babies but god forbid I smoke a joint

I don't see how you can make this comparison. Is it legal for crazy women to kill babies in FL?

Then you're a complete moron.

The average height of the frontcourt players in my gym league is around 6'5", which means that an average front court player in said league would be roughly the 4th tallest player in the WNBA, have a minimum of a 30 pound weight advantage on their WNBA counterparts, and be AT LEAST the same speed/quickness.

Hell, I play shooting guard, and usually end up guarding guys who have 2" and 15-20 pounds on ME, and I'm bigger than half the WNBA's power forwards.

Seriously, what the hell do you think would happen if 6'5", 185 pound Lauren Jackson tried to guard someone who was reasonably skilled, and more importantly happened to also have 3+" and 100+ pounds on her? Because that's not only a possiblity, it's a certainty.

It's not a question of not respecting girl power. It's a question of understanding the effects of size and speed, and the effect of testosterone on the human body.

There's a reason why a dozen male high school track runners beat the women's 100m world record every single year.

DOM - Never underestimate your competition, no matter what size and weight.

I saw this 5"10 Chick break the ankles of a 6"5 player in ATL.... It was the funniest most realist moment of that day.

Yeah but this is totally different from saying that a highschool team can beat the players in the WNBA, who are (like in the NBA), the best of the best of their gender...no?

i guess it depends on what high school team you're talking about. The average competitive 6A team? definitely. The average 1A team, probably not.

I saw this 5"10 Chick break the ankles of a 6"5 player in ATL.... It was the funniest most realist moment of that day.

How silly of me.

Why would I NOT ignore all physical evidence, all understanding of human physiology, basic understanding of the way size and athleticism impact basketball performance, basic observation garnered from watching thousands of hours of basketball and the testimony of arguably the greatest coach the game has ever seen, just because one time you saw a girl take a guy off the dribble on one play once?

I really, really hope you aren't basing your entire opinion on this subject off of one play in which you saw a girl manage to beat a guy off the dribble. Because that would be truly silly.

I really, really hope you aren't basing your entire opinion on this subject off of one play in which you saw a girl manage to beat a guy off the dribble. Because that would be truly silly.

I once saw you kiss a giraffe on the lips intimately, doesn't mean you're into bestiality.

I once saw you kiss a giraffe on the lips intimately, doesn't mean you're into bestiality.

That giraffe was asking for it. You should have seen the way she was looking at me.