Sign in to follow this  
magicallnighter

Good Health news on Gilbert Arenas

The one Magic-related person that the lockout could be good for is Arenas.. although I'm sure every fan wants training camp and the season to start on time. By the way if I'm a Wizards fan and I heard this I'd be seriously ticked off!

If Arenas can get his legs right and just improve his shot selection (threes or take it hard to the basket, cut out the no-rhythm 20 footers), then I would join the bandwagon of being excited about Arenas being on the team, as well as feeling more positive about Jameer getting traded.. assuming we got close to the equivalent in return at SG or SF. Or a big upgrade at PF with a package of Meer/Anderson or Meer/Bass.

More importantly, it'd be nyce if Dwight got more excited than he already is with Arenas being on the team. All in all this gives me a bit more believe for next season. Not a lot, but a bit.

29 year olds don't change their shot selection.

Setting the bar low myself; if Gunbert can shoot over 40% next season, I'll be "okay" with it.

nelson is a great guy but at the end of the day can the magic win it all with him as the starting pg. i do not think so. i think he would be great on the second unit and a key part of the team but this team needs a better player to be the pg. i know it is a tough decision but thats my take. sure you can not stop penetration but that is not the whole issue with him as starter.

I don't know why Nelson gets singled out I guess it's just the position he plays, but I think this bolded part applies to just about everyone on the team sans Dwight Howard before Nelson.

We can't win with Nelson but Turkologlu, Bass, JJ/Liggins are definitely starters on championship caliber team? Hmmmm.... No. Sir. I don't like it.

• Upvote 3

Yeah - not sure where the 'Meer disrespect is coming from: guy has been pretty consistent for us. The only reason I'd want him traded was if he landed us CP3 or Williams. Beyond that, he's pretty good.

In a perfect world, we'd land CP3/Williams and keep 'Meer, having him come off the bench ala Perry: just a massively disruptive offensive force.

nelson is a great guy but at the end of the day can the magic win it all with him as the starting pg. i do not think so. i think he would be great on the second unit and a key part of the team but this team needs a better player to be the pg. i know it is a tough decision but thats my take. sure you can not stop penetration but that is not the whole issue with him as starter.

Please tell me whom you would rather have than Jameil Neilson.

No pipedreams plx for an answer.

bmp i respect your opinon on nelson however i disagree on his effectiveness as a starter for the magic. it not so much about defense but his overall play. i agree it will be dificult to replace him but it appears the magic have been trying to do just that. it tells me they may be thinking as i do.

The Magic MAY (emphasis on may because we don't know anything for sure) be shopping Jameer because they believe he can help land them a bigger piece. It has nothing to do with replacing him.

first, do i think fisher is better than nelson, he fills his role and has proven he can be a pg on a championship team plus he has kobe. if the magic had a top sg then maybe nelson could do it. as the team is built now i see the pg position as the biggest need. i think nelson can be a big part of a championship team but unless the magic get a big time guy at some other position then they need a pg. to say fisher is better player is not for me to decide. i believe the magic have made some commitments to try to get better at the position with gil, which is a real strech and that is why they have explored trades for nelson. guys i like nelson. i am just giving my opinon as i see it.

first, do i think fisher is better than nelson, he fills his role and has proven he can be a pg on a championship team plus he has kobe. if the magic had a top sg then maybe nelson could do it. as the team is built now i see the pg position as the biggest need. i think nelson can be a big part of a championship team but unless the magic get a big time guy at some other position then they need a pg. to say fisher is better player is not for me to decide. i believe the magic have made some commitments to try to get better at the position with gil, which is a real strech and that is why they have explored trades for nelson. guys i like nelson. i am just giving my opinon as i see it.

So what I hear you say is: A point guard can only prove that he can be a legit pg on a championship contender by winning a championship.....

Or that Nelson could be a championship pg if he played with better people.

Or that Nelson could be the pg of a championship team if the team is a championship team because of an upgrade at positions other than pg.

And because he doesn't fulfill these conditions himself, he is not someone you can see us winning a championship with.

Am I getting this right?

i am not going to get into a pissing contest with you over this. the bottom line as i see it is this team needs consistent pg play to be successful at a playoff level. you may see it differently and thats fine but i believe the magic are thinking along the same lines as i am. there are players out there that could make the magic better but getting them is the issue. ask yourself why does everyone want cp3, williams etc.

bmp i respect your opinon on nelson however i disagree on his effectiveness as a starter for the magic. it not so much about defense but his overall play. i agree it will be dificult to replace him but it appears the magic have been trying to do just that. it tells me they may be thinking as i do.

The problem is you continue to say the Magic need a better PG etc etc but really, asides from the obvious C spot, our PG spot would be the hardest to upgrade, because of how solid Nelson is and because players that would make the team better at PG are almost all untouchable.

With that said, the team should be looking to upgrade SG/SF/PF spots. Why? Because they're easier to upgrade (in terms of talent available, that is).

The team can upgrade the SG/SF/PF positions and become better without getting rid of Nelson, and it's not necessary to get rid of him unless he lands an all-star/superstar, which is very unlikely.

If the team is trying to move Nelson it's solely because he's a good trade piece and could indeed land the team a good player, not because they want to get rid of him. The team is FAR worse at SG/SF/PF and you can't blame Nelson for having to play with Hedo and Bass every game.

i am not going to get into a pissing contest with you over this. the bottom line as i see it is this team needs consistent pg play to be successful at a playoff level. you may see it differently and thats fine but i believe the magic are thinking along the same lines as i am. there are players out there that could make the magic better but getting them is the issue. ask yourself why does everyone want cp3, williams etc.

Everyone wants CP3 or D-Will because they want a 2nd star that will get Dwight to sign an extension. It has nothing to do with Jameer.

i have to agree with most of what you said. we could use help at every position and getting a real upgrade at pg is surely the most difficult because they are not that many out there. however i still believe the magic are looking to use him to get big time player and hoping gil can do the job at pg. i do not like that idea at all and would not want to lose nelson unless ther was a new pg involved