Sign in to follow this  
Fultz4thewin

Offseason Thread pt V: The Sentinel Strikes Back (and makes us sad)

He thinks we are in for a rough one

Woj:The NBA is going away for a long time.

I swear this man has a way with words: Here is a excerpt

The lockout’s coming, and the NBA can thank Stern for it. He no longer leads the owners, but gets led. He’s lost his autonomy to operate, lost his ability to be sensible, understated and conciliatory. There ought to be givebacks in these talks with the players, but Stern has let the fringe element of NBA ownership dictate policy for the masses. He doesn’t want a second lockout on his Hall of Fame plaque, but it’s coming and the burden belongs on him.

He can’t sell compromise, and he can’t sell good-faith negotiations to his ownership. The owners wanted this lockout, which they’ve carefully orchestrated. They’re determined to break the NBA’s union, and that’s clearly become the commissioner’s mandate now. The owners could’ve agreed to real revenue sharing, and the collective bargaining agreement would’ve been signed months ago. Stern can’t sell it, and the sport will suffer something fierce for it.

The NBA goes away now, and goes away for a long time. The final sound at the end of the draft’s first round will resonate over a long, hot summer – and maybe a winter – without basketball. This time a year ago, there was a Lakers championship with Kobe Bryant(notes), the summer of LeBron and a season of spectacular drama. Now, there was David Stern marching out of the boos of draft night, and into the boos of the board room.

He couldn’t sell the owners, couldn’t sell the players, and he can no longer sell the public. Here comes the summer of the NBA’s emperor, the lockout to end basketball lockouts. Tough Jersey guy buried all the bodies here, and now he comes to bury his sport. His legacy on the line, his fault.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Au6a4Rn3_7ksVM_HylZlEOw5nYcB?slug=aw-wojnarowski_nba_draft_labor_war062511

so i was getting sh** on for mentioning Dwight in a trade for CP3, and now we're talking Heat trades for Dwight. IDK what to think anymore. We need some news, any news

Yeah trading Dwight for CP3 makes no sense. Dwight has history with Orlando... Has said he really wants to win a championship here. Does Chris Paul even want to be in Orlando? They expire at the exact same time so we would be gaining nothing. At least Lebron's contract is guaranteed next 3 years? Then he can opt out both years of his contract if his desire is to do so. You missed the point.

so i was getting sh** on for mentioning Dwight in a trade for CP3, and now we're talking Heat trades for Dwight. IDK what to think anymore. We need some news, any news

Trading Dwight for CP3 puts us in the same boat, because CP3 is a FA and can just leave. LeBron is under contract long term.

The Thunder deal sounds the most intriguing to me. But I have a worry that Westbrook would just turn into another Steve Francis. I would ask for Harden too.

There is no way the Heat would trade LeBron for Dwight, but if they did and Dwight asked out you would be silly not to do it. You get the league's most talented player and he's under contract long term. Yeah he is an ******* but he single handily keeps you in contention and you still have a shot at winning a title without rebuilding. My only issue would be LeBron would probably not be very happy being traded here.

I still don't believe Dwight will be traded though. The only interesting team with cap space to get him are the Nets. It isn't like teams have been preparing for years for Dwight's FA like they did with LeBron and the 2010 FA class.

Trading for LeBron's pretty dumb. You guarantee Miami has the best team in the league for the next 3-5 years (oh yeah, and they're in our division), you guarantee the Magic don't sniff the lottery for another 4+ years, and you guarantee to have an incredibly pissed off fan base and huge douche of a Franchise player. Did I mention you give Miami a team Orlando would never beat?

I like the Thunder deal if you can get Harden back and flip Westbrick for 2012 lottery picks.

• Upvote 1

Take it for what it's worth (nothing)

NBA PR Guy

@NBAPRGuy

Breaking News: According to sources It's official, Lakers will acquire Center Dwight Howard for Bynum/Odom and future 1st round draft picks!

37 minutes ago via web

https://twitter.com/#!/NBAPRGuy

:svgsad:

Trading for LeBron's pretty dumb. You guarantee Miami has the best team in the league for the next 3-5 years (oh yeah, and they're in our division), you guarantee the Magic don't sniff the lottery for another 4+ years, and you guarantee to have an incredibly pissed off fan base and huge douche of a Franchise player. Did I mention you give Miami a team Orlando would never beat?

I like the Thunder deal if you can get Harden back and flip Westbrick for 2012 lottery picks.

Miami is probably going to be the best team in the league for the next 3-5 years anyways. Again, I'm not worried about Miami. I'm worried about Orlando. I hate LeBron, but he'd keep us in contention for a title for years if Dwight was going to leave. It is not happening anyways so it is moot.

Trading for CP3 would make us worse and NOLA better

Trading for LBJ would make us more or less the same if not stronger but the Heat would also get stronger

Not to mention the contracts.. we could even lure them to take on Arenas and then re-sign Dwight and we have him along with LeBron!! Kabooom

Not really