Sign in to follow this  
Emory889

The NBA and fining players for social commentary

Ok, I am a Christian, and I believe that Christians should be worried about other Christian's behavior instead of railing about what homosexuals are doing.

A few points:

1. Every Christian has a problem. It might be lust, or lying, or speeding, or any of a myriad of options available. The line is kind of unclear and none of us are perfect, though a lot try to act like they are. By acting up about homosexuals they are simply trying to make their own sin seem like a lesser problem. Like saying: "At least I am not that!. That is the height of arrogance. Like a fat preacher condemning every sin but gluttony.

2. Jesus only got mad once, as I read the Bible. And that was when he found out there were moneychangers in the temple gauging people for sheep to sacrifice. I bet he would be really upset with the so-called Christians that are gauging others today.

3. Jesus was not prejudiced. He stopped the "religious leaders" when they accused the adulteress by asking the one of them that had no sin to throw the first stone. He never judged anyone, but rather he presented His truth, and offered them the opportunity to judge themselves. He always said, "Follow Me." That is a good example for Christian's today. Live a life worth following.

So, fellow Christians, I think we need to be concerned about people in our own faith, and leave those not in the faith alone, except for praying for them.

That is my two cents worth. I could give a dollars worth of opinion, but I have already made enough noise.

• Upvote 1

Ok, I am a Christian, and I believe that Christians should be worried about other Christian's behavior instead of railing about what homosexuals are doing.

A few points:

1. Every Christian has a problem. It might be lust, or lying, or speeding, or any of a myriad of options available. The line is kind of unclear and none of us are perfect, though a lot try to act like they are. By acting up about homosexuals they are simply trying to make their own sin seem like a lesser problem. Like saying: "At least I am not that!. That is the height of arrogance. Like a fat preacher condemning every sin but gluttony.

2. Jesus only got mad once, as I read the Bible. And that was when he found out there were moneychangers in the temple gauging people for sheep to sacrifice. I bet he would be really upset with the so-called Christians that are gauging others today.

3. Jesus was not prejudiced. He stopped the "religious leaders" when they accused the adulteress by asking the one of them that had no sin to throw the first stone. He never judged anyone, but rather he presented His truth, and offered them the opportunity to judge themselves. He always said, "Follow Me." That is a good example for Christian's today. Live a life worth following.

So, fellow Christians, I think we need to be concerned about people in our own faith, and leave those not in the faith alone, except for praying for them.

That is my two cents worth. I could give a dollars worth of opinion, but I have already made enough noise.

You should be proud of your sensibility

Poor Kobe. . . he called a ref something that would get most of us fired from our jobs on the spot and he had to pay a fine that doesn't even equal 1% of his salary this year. . . oh yeah, and apologize. Poor guy. . .

They could at least be consistent about it. I see players mouthing the "n-word" plenty of times on the court, with zero repercussions, not to mention the amount of curse words Ive heard when players go for rebounds.

Can you imagine what kind of mess David Stern would get into if he fined a black player for calling another black player the n word?

And refs do give out technical fouls (which come with a fine) when players yell out curse words. I forgot who, it might've been Matt Barnes, but last year someone on the team went up and yelled up **** on the top of his lungs and he immediately got a tech. They're just not going to make players publicly apologize every time it happens because of a number of reasons, the main ones being lack of care/exposure (a guy yelling ***** ME during a Wizards/Minnesota game and Kobe Bryant getting caught calling a referee a ****** during a National TV game have totally different impacts).

Also, your username is offensive.

It's a Simpsons reference.

BTW I think this guy is totally illogical. I don't understand how "forcing someone to believe something is right" is equal to "accepting that other people have different beliefs". He has his values mixed up big time.

Hey guys, do you remember that part in the Bible where Jesus was giving a sermon, and he was all like "help the poor, rich people suck... oh, and **** the GAYS! I'm out" and he slammed the microphone down on the stage before storming off with his posse?

Oh that's right, JESUS DIDN'T PREACH AGAINST BEING GAY... and isn't that guy the whole basis for the Christian faith has we know it today? Like, Christians, prefix being Christ, strive to live like He did?

"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians; they are so unlike your Christ."

- Gandhi.

• Upvote 1

I completely support gay rights. And I can't tell you how many times I've gotten the reaction of "You support gay rights. That makes you gay." Which is completely irrelevant and intolerant because at the end of the day, gay rights are HUMAN rights and gay people are just that. PEOPLE.

Anyway, I think that the fines were way too low for it. Intolerance should not be accepted at all. I mean let's be real here. If a player like LeBron, Kobe, Melo, etc. got fined $100,000 for that, which their huge Nike endorsements would probably pick up for them, they come out and make an apology, everyone lives happily ever after. I guess what I'm saying is that fine isn't really a true punishment for offensive language.

Anyway, I think that the fines were way too low for it. Intolerance should not be accepted at all. I mean let's be real here. If a player like LeBron, Kobe, Melo, etc. got fined $100,000 for that, which their huge Nike endorsements would probably pick up for them, they come out and make an apology, everyone lives happily ever after. I guess what I'm saying is that fine isn't really a true punishment for offensive language.

Intolerance? You really believe that Noah and Kobe were referring to homosexuals in anyway when saying f*aggot?

Intolerance? You really believe that Noah and Kobe were referring to homosexuals in anyway when saying f*aggot?

It's about league image. Slurs= intolerance 100% of the time on a national stage. Look at Tiki Barber with his Anne Frank comment.

It's about league image. Slurs= intolerance 100% of the time on a national stage. Look at Tiki Barber with his Anne Frank comment.

Exactly. Whether or not they were literally referring to homosexuals, it's a word that is homophobic in nature and, consequently, sheds a negative light on the NBA.

Exactly. Whether or not they were literally referring to homosexuals, it's a word that is homophobic in nature and, consequently, sheds a negative light on the NBA.

Of course I understand that its bad for the NBA with advocacy groups breathing down their necks, but you make it sound as if what they said was intolerant. A word without context holds no power, f*ggot in nature was not originally a reference to homosexuality at all, it transitioned to that term, just like it is transitioning to mean stupid