Sign in to follow this  
Emory889

The NBA and fining players for social commentary

I don't know when homosexual behavior became acceptable. Its as if that is acceptable, but having a religious view against the gays is not, which is in its own way discriminatory against anyone who believes in religion. Maybe its my extremely old age, but I don't like how this whole gay movement is being forced down our throats (no pun intended). I don't want to start an argument, because everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but it seems that your opinion these days has to be molded into the acceptable society view or else be fined $50,000, which really doesn't make it an opinion, but more of a script.

I should probably let this die but I can't let this statement go without throwing in my 2 cents. It became "acceptable" when this country was founded on the principle of everyone having the freedom to live their lives with the same rights regardless of sexual orientation. Your statement represents everything that is wrong with this society.

I should probably let this die but I can't let this statement go without throwing in my 2 cents. It became "acceptable" when this country was founded on the principle of everyone having the freedom to live their lives with the same rights regardless of sexual orientation. Your statement represents everything that is wrong with this society.

Yeah, I was going to let this die too but why not.

I understand people not agreeing with other's lifestyles. Religion can hate on other people all they want because that's their own prerogative. The issue here though is that everyone should be allowed the same equal rights. Allowing gays to marry is about social equality, not about bringing down the religious. It's no different than inequality between genders or races.

You can have a religious view against the gays all you want. Just let them have their rights.

Not that I'm a history intellectual, but I don't think the founders were meaning or implying anything related to sexual orientation at the moment of the nation's foundation.

The guy did say other stuff about people having rights to think or do what they want...

Yeah, I was going to let this die too but why not.

I understand people not agreeing with other's lifestyles. Religion can hate on other people all they want because that's their own prerogative. The issue here though is that everyone should be allowed the same equal rights. Allowing gays to marry is about social equality, not about bringing down the religious. It's no different than inequality between genders or races.

You can have a religious view against the gays all you want. Just let them have their rights.

Saying religion hates on other people like it is an obvious truth is, at least, part of what's wrong with this society. It's like insults, name calling and stereotypes can go just one way.

Gay marriage impacts other people and institutions in society and their freedom of speech and religion. If it's not obvious, take a look at the places were the gay community has had the rights they've been seeking. It's just not as simple as that, whether you like the impact it has or not. And I'm obviously not talking about practicing religion equaling being violent against other people.

Homosexualism is not a race... that's why there are people trying so hard to prove it is something people have in their DNA so it can get to the same level legitimately.

I watch gay sensitivity messages during NBA games... I don't watch sensitivity messages for anything else... aren't other people in society verbally abused?

I understand I'll probably get flamed for this. I'm trying to keep this very simple just pointing a thing or 2 of what I think was incorrect about your statements. I'll probably not stay discussing this or going much deeper.

Wait, how do gays affect others again? Don't give me a vague "look around" answer because that's not saying anything. . . I'd like to know how they affect anyone negatively (and no, the ******** homophobe not minding his own business and getting outraged by it doesn't count)

Not that I'm a history intellectual, but I don't think the founders were meaning or implying anything related to sexual orientation at the moment of the nation's foundation.

The guy did say other stuff about people having rights to think or do what they want...

Saying religion hates on other people like it is an obvious truth is, at least, part of what's wrong with this society. It's like insults, name calling and stereotypes can go just one way.

Gay marriage impacts other people and institutions in society and their freedom of speech and religion. If it's not obvious, take a look at the places were the gay community has had the rights they've been seeking. It's just not as simple as that, whether you like the impact it has or not. And I'm obviously not talking about practicing religion equaling being violent against other people.

Homosexualism is not a race... that's why there are people trying so hard to prove it is something people have in their DNA so it can get to the same level legitimately.

I watch gay sensitivity messages during NBA games... I don't watch sensitivity messages for anything else... aren't other people in society verbally abused?

I understand I'll probably get flamed for this. I'm trying to keep this very simple just pointing a thing or 2 of what I think was incorrect about your statements. I'll probably not stay discussing this or going much deeper.

You don't need to be a different race to be inequal. Besides the obvious example of gender, The Tamil people of Sri Lanka are not a different race than their oppressors, the Sinhalese. It's still inequality. Homosexualism is at the very least a culture group. Every culture deserves the same freedoms that anyone gets in the United States.

There is sensitivity messages for everything in the NBA. Black History month, Latin History month, etc. Other people in society are verbally abused. It's illogical, though, to expect an organization to take up every single cause possible.

You have the right to express whatever opinion you want in life. That doesn't stop the opinion to be ignorant and hateful.

You don't need to be a different race to be inequal. Besides the obvious example of gender, The Tamil people of Sri Lanka are not a different race than their oppressors, the Sinhalese. It's still inequality. Homosexualism is at the very least a culture group. Every culture deserves the same freedoms that anyone gets in the United States.

There is sensitivity messages for everything in the NBA. Black History month, Latin History month, etc. Other people in society are verbally abused. It's illogical, though, to expect an organization to take up every single cause possible.

You have the right to express whatever opinion you want in life. That doesn't stop the opinion to be ignorant and hateful.

Well, the thing is homosexualism is completely legal and accepted in USA (officially). The issues are more certain privileges or 'rights' they are seeking and have obtained in several places already. Rights which have moral implications, and that have shown to impact the freedom of speech and religion of other people, whose rights doesn't seem to matter as much. As I said, you might like that to happen, but it's still a significant impact that needs to be considered.

Again, we're not talking about violence here. If you haven't taken a look, do so. You'll find they've expanded the concept of "hate" very much.

My bad if I haven't noticed the attention to other groups from the NBA. These days what I see is the messages talking about the use of the word 'gay'.

One of my best friends in college was gay. I know it since many years ago. I even slept in the same bed with him after knowing it. I never hated him or mistreated him for that. He always knew what my thoughts were of course. We were still good friends.

As long as you're not implying that every opinion against homosexualism is ignorant and hateful, I agree with the last sentence. That would actually be ignorant and hateful, ironically.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Well, the thing is homosexualism is completely legal and accepted in USA (officially). The issues are more certain privileges or 'rights' they are seeking and have obtained in several places already. Rights which have moral implications, and that have shown to impact the freedom of speech and religion of other people, whose rights doesn't seem to matter as much. As I said, you might like that to happen, but it's still a significant impact that needs to be considered.

Again, we're not talking about violence here. If you haven't taken a look, do so. You'll find they've expanded the concept of "hate" very much.

My bad if I haven't noticed the attention to other groups from the NBA. These days what I see is the messages talking about the use of the word 'gay'.

One of my best friends in college was gay. I know it since many years ago. I even slept in the same bed with him after knowing it. I never hated him or mistreated him for that. He always knew what my thoughts were of course. We were still good friends.

As long as you're not implying that every opinion against homosexualism is ignorant and hateful, I agree with the last sentence. That would actually be ignorant and hateful, ironically.

Those rights need to be universal though. Gays should have the right to marry and everything else that other married couple get. It shouldn't affect religion or the rights of the religious because nobody can force a church to perform a gay service. Churches can opt not to marry blacks or hispanics too. Or mixed race marriages. It's not smart and it does show ignorance but its a right everyone has.

It shouldn't impact those who are religious at all, just like practicing scientology doesn't impact those who practice christianity.

Those rights need to be universal though. Gays should have the right to marry and everything else that other married couple get. It shouldn't affect religion or the rights of the religious because nobody can force a church to perform a gay service. Churches can opt not to marry blacks or hispanics too. Or mixed race marriages. It's not smart and it does show ignorance but its a right everyone has.

It shouldn't impact those who are religious at all, just like practicing scientology doesn't impact those who practice christianity.

Religions establish a difference because homosexualism has moral implications, as oppossed to skin color, for example.

In the case of religion differences, well people just go to the church they believe in.

You're probably looking at it as something that once allowed, should provide them the right of being married without affecting anybody elses.

That'd probably be ok (if it's gonna be allowed, which I don't agree with). The thing is that's not what is happening.

People are being imprisoned and fined for speaking against homosexualism, even if they do so respectfully and without promoting violence. Eventually you can bad mouth as much as you like but a differing opinion against homosexuality is not tolerated.

Christians are being forbidden from adopting children because they won't teach the kids the concept of homosexuality some people want.

Gay marriage is one of the things that has started these kind of things. I think I understand what you're saying. It's just that empirically it is not as simple and smooth. Activists tend to seek the opression of religions that speak against homosexuality.

Religions establish a difference because homosexualism has moral implications, as oppossed to skin color, for example.

In the case of religion differences, well people just go to the church they believe in.

Morality is subjective and full of grey areas. Vegans might find the killing of animals for food immoral. It was once immoral for women to show any skin at all.

You're probably looking at it as something that once allowed, should provide them the right of being married without affecting anybody elses.

That'd probably be ok (if it's gonna be allowed, which I don't agree with). The thing is that's not what is happening.

People are being imprisoned and fined for speaking against homosexualism, even if they do so respectfully and without promoting violence. Eventually you can bad mouth as much as you like but a differing opinion against homosexuality is not tolerated.

A quick google search and I've found no instance of someone being imprisoned for speaking against homosexuality. People are being fined for speaking against homosexuality because they are public figures and controversial remarks about social issues is against the terms of their contract. Freedom of speech doesn't apply to employment situations or clubs. For instance, I can ban someone for explicit racist remarks even though its legal to have that opinion in the United States.

Christians are being forbidden from adopting children because they won't teach the kids the concept of homosexuality some people want.

I can't find a source for this remark either

Gay marriage is one of the things that has started these kind of things. I think I understand what you're saying. It's just that empirically it is not as simple and smooth. Activists tend to seek the opression of religions that speak against homosexuality.

Activists seek the suppression of religions that speak against homosexuality, that is correct. That's because Activists have an agenda and people speaking against their agenda are hurting their cause. That's true in any sense of activism though.

You're buying in too much to the anti-gay rhetoric. If they made gay marriage legal nationally nothing negative would happen. The gays and the anti-gays would continue to be separate.

I was the one who started it when I said: I blame Noah for being a homophobe

DAMN YOU!

i got lazy. link me the post and i'll move it over here.