Sign in to follow this  
barnettej

No Cav's Game Thread?

Do you get to sit on a porch and wave sticks at young whippersnappers all day?

I sit by the sidewalk. It is easier to hit them with the sticks there.

I will put it out there: I personally have stopped being as active due to the treatment of TMF that I have observed in addition to the general treatment of members by someone specifically (although that has not really happened in some time after he was called out.)

You can just say it was me. I really don't care.

And for the record: I've thrown out more insults in the last month than I ever have before.

Now that pointing out that little hypocrisy is out of the way, lets address your post.

First of all, analyzing your hypothetical scenario is impossible because of VAST quantity of information that's missing. Who is "team X"? Who is in the game for the other team? Who is guarding Dwight? What about Gilbert? How many fouls do those players have? Who else is in the game for the opponent? What about for us? Are they in the penalty? What's the score? What quarter is it? What is the eFG% of the two players you mentioned? What about their DrawFT% for the game?

Those are all relevant questions I came up with while on the phone over a 90 second period, and they're all relevant to a specific in game scenario.

But in a vacuum, when you have no specific answers to those questions? You give it to Dwight. Always. Because there is historical evidence to suggest Dwight would be a better option than Gilbert.

[/size][/color]

So? Yes, in that highly unlikely scenario, had you bet in favor of something that was otherworldly likely, you'd have lost.

However, given an option of betting on something that has a 1/(36^100) of happening or betting that it won't, you'd have to be functionally brain dead to not bet on it failing to happen.

The reason people use stats in predictions is because they suggest likely outcomes. Yes, if we force feed Gilbert instead of Dwight in some randomly chosen individual game, it might wind up the better outcome. However, we have no way of knowing what game, if there is one, where that would occur, and we have overwhelming historical evidence to suggest we'd be better off with Dwight. So we go with Dwight, because a statistical majority of the time, he'll be the better option.

And as for this sentence:

It's not specific enough.

Any prediction of real life events based on ANYTHING is just guessing. It is the analysis of previous data in those statistical predictions that makes those guesses educated. Or are you suggesting we should make uneducated guesses, like guessing that Dwight will shoot free throws well on days of the month that are prime numbers?

History remembers things that are unique, and while David/Goliath is hardly history since it's a Biblical story with very little in the way of non-religious historical confirmation, you should probably recognize that fantastic stories linger in the psyche precisely because they're so fantastic, not because they were common enough to be considered likely. Hell, Catherine the Great is mostly known as "that Russian woman who died having sex with a horse", and that story isn't even true.

We remember because of the oddity, but that hardly means we should treat is as a statistically valid likelihood.

The fact is the things that stick with us are deviations from the norm, not the common place.

I know people who think it's weird or spooky when they meet someone with the same birthday as them. But analyzing that statistically, even for 2 minutes, points out how absurd that feeling of spookiness actually is, since any given person you meet has a 1/366 chance of sharing your birthday, and you'll meet thousands of people over the course of your life.

Think about all the things you could reveal about yourself potentially to a stranger in a five minute conversation: your name, your age, how many siblings you have, their names and ages, your birthday, your siblings' birthdays, your hometown, a couple of your favorite likes and dislikes.

So if you met a complete stranger, went through that list, and discovered that you were both huge fans of The Warriors, that might seem interesting. But it would have also been interesting if you both had sisters with the same name, you were both from the same city, or anything else. It's interesting because it's unique, not because it was unlikely.

I dunno, there are differing odds based on what day you are born. We'd need to collect data from all of the hospitals on birthdays to examine probability of two people sharing a birthday.

This brings me to my point of my post, which is meant to be an addition to yours, statistics are only as good as the data behind them. The more complete data you have, the more "truthful" the statistic is. Ma can't come up with anything that statistics can not explain, the only thing he can do is point out fields where data is lacking.

semi related note: Did you know that Genghis Khan had so much "action" during his life that an individual has a 0.5% chance at being related to him.

semi related note: Did you know that Genghis Khan had so much "action" during his life that an individual has a 0.5% chance at being related to him.

It wasn't just him. It was him and his sons, but yes, I knew that.

The number actually jumps to like 20% in Asia, which is just monstrous.

Here's what I don't understand. Isn't TMF equally to blame for stirring the pot by constantly making threads/comments like the ones in this thread? By all accounts and purposes, if said "cyber bullying" did exist, and the examples given in this thread are valid, then for the most part they have basically stopped. I mean, the forum is dead correct? Can't be much bullying going on. If there is, I'd love to see the examples.

Yet here is TMF, yet again throwing around words like "clique", etc. and blaming certain posters for the downfall of our beloved forum, while the accused sit back and think about why they're being called out yet again.

You may have a valid point regarding her post right now, however, my noticing the unfair treatment directed at her occurred before any of these discussions began by a good margin.

Justifying her treatment by her actions that are in response to her treatment is fundamentally flawed confirmation bias.

I also did not say the forum is dead.

And I like you Jareth, for serious.

Hungry. gotta wait 20 minutes or so before I can go eat. I know, I'll watch the new episode of Dante & Galante to kill time and get my mind off of my hunger. Episode is a cooking challenge and takes place in a restaurant (an awesome one too). I hate my life.

:sadcrab:

You may have a valid point regarding her post right now, however, my noticing the unfair treatment directed at her occurred before any of these discussions began by a good margin.

Justifying her treatment by her actions that are in response to her treatment is fundamentally flawed confirmation bias.

I also did not say the forum is dead.

And I like you Jareth, for serious.

I'm still waiting for someone to identify the rampant bullying and mistreatment that exists or that existed.

People have brought it up in the past, and they always go silent when asked to provide examples.

I'm not saying they're cowards and liars for that, but I'm heavily implying it.

The bashing and name calling has actually lessened since last year. However, I agree the clinque makes it difficult place to post. Most posters I would quess are in their twenties and early thirties, and have different view points than posters in their forties, fifties and seventies. Not every fan has extensive knowledge in basketball, but are probably trying to learn. There are some posters such as BMP, Captain and others that nicely point out that you are mistaken, or present another point of view. I enjoy these points, and learn from them. Some posters, seem to take delight in putting others down and making them feel stupid. I wll not name names, but they know who I am talking about. Personally, I think the rep system discourages open debate, because some people take the opinions seriously, and there are a few posters that give negative raps out llike nazis. For example, A poster stating that He/she enjoys Jack Daniels posts should not be given a negative rep.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The bashing and name calling has actually lessened since last year. However, I agree the clinque makes it difficult place to post. Most posters I would quess are in their twenties and early thirties, and have different view points than posters in their forties, fifties and seventies. Not every fan has extensive knowledge in basketball, but are probably trying to learn. There are some posters such as BMP, Captain and others that nicely point out that you are mistaken, or present another point of view. I enjoy these points, and learn from them. Some posters, seem to take delight in putting others down and making them feel stupid. I wll not name names, but they know who I am talking about. Personally, I think the rep system discourages open debate, because some people take the opinions seriously, and there are a few posters that give negative raps out llike nazis. For example, A poster stating that He/she enjoys Jack Daniels posts should not be given a negative rep.

Thanks, though I would be willing to bet TMF puts me in the midst of here alleged Clique that she is so fond of complaining about.

Just goes to show how things differ from person to person. Same guy, same posts, different reader and a different experience.

I'm willing to wager that I am part of this alleged "bullying clique", or, if not now, I used to be. You need to be reminded this is a forum on the internet for a professional basketball team. It does not need to be taken so seriously. Sometimes lighthearted bad jokes are OK. There is also a difference between pointing out when someone is wrong, or merely having a different opinion on something, and bullying. You are making it seem as if you aren't free to post whatever you want, be it your thoughts, artwork, GAME THREAD(which is apparently a travesty for it to be missing). You are very much free to do all of these things. Just be willing to face criticism. Just like in the real world, when you put yourself out there, people are going to respond, and sometimes it isn't in the way you would have hoped or expected. Deal with it.

Also, pertaining to the chat room: it is free to all members. I welcome you to join us next game.