Sign in to follow this  
Berto

Emperor Stern

Van Gundy tried to make sense of 593 foul calls without so much as a flagrant foul on Dwight Howard(notes). And after speaking the truest words of the season – saying that Stern doesn’t allow dissenting opinions in the NBA, that free speech is a scarce commodity on league issues – the commissioner reacted in a most predictable, childish way on state-run NBA radio. After refusing to confront Van Gundy directly and promising to take the matter to Magic ownership, Stern sounded like a power-drunk small-town mayor saying “… We won’t be hearing from him for the rest of the season.”

Off to Stern’s Siberia. Stern wouldn’t stop there, because he gets such a charge out of humiliating those under him. Taunted Stern, “I see somebody whose team isn’t performing, whose star player was suspended, who seems to be fraying.”

No commissioner has ever been so emboldened to speak this way. Yet now, so much of Stern’s staying power is built on a far more flimsy baseline. Respect has eroded for him, replaced with fear and loathing.

When Stern goes to Orlando’s ownership group, he knows it’ll soon be wondering how much of an impact Van Gundy’s mouth will have on Howard and the Magic in the playoffs. Teams tremble over retribution from Stern and fear it in the form of officiating.

As Wojo concluded himself, this is the cold blooded truth.

Good article. Fairly interesting points.

Let's play a game then.

Who is our "beloved" commissioner most like historically or fictionally?

Shylock from Merchant of Venice, maybe?

Yahoo is the only one who could really call him out because every other big site like ESPN, NBA, CNNSI, etc. are partners with the NBA and they are probably afraid to do so.

Kudos to Adrian for telling it how it is.

Good article. Fairly interesting points.

Let's play a game then.

Who is our "beloved" commissioner most like historically or fictionally?

Charles foster Kane

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I was starting to worry that the whole incident with Stan VS. Stern would be swept under the rug and forgotten/ignored by the media.

For the most part, it has been. When the big talking heads brought it up (PTI), they laughed it up and took Stern's side as usual.

Now..if only we could get yahoo sports to make a montage of bad calls made this season.

And people try to say he's the best commissioner in sports. I'll admit nobody is that good, Roger Goodell is a blatant racist, Bud Selig is clueless and Gary Bettman is, well, he's Gary Bettman. By default Don Garber (MLS) is the best commissioner in sports.

And people try to say he's the best commissioner in sports. I'll admit nobody is that good, Roger Goodell is a blatant racist, Bud Selig is clueless and Gary Bettman is, well, he's Gary Bettman. By default Don Garber (MLS) is the best commissioner in sports.

If you look at his entire body of work, then yeah, he's in the running for best commissioner in sports. However, if you focus on more recent events, I think some of his luster starts to wear off.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1