Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

A. Martins comments about Fran coming over (link)

snapback.pngMarc Acres 3:16, on 08 March 2011 - 12:21 PM, said:

I would love to bring him over as a community ambassidor and force him to work birthday party's for nearsighted children as a piniata holder.

Let's get this plan into motion.

I knew you guys hated children.

Thanks, P57. I think this is great news. Can he play center or is he a power forward? With whom does his game compare in the States?

Thanks, P57. I think this is great news. Can he play center or is he a power forward? With whom does his game compare in the States?

Tyson Chandler. . . ish

I like how some people actually believe he still will come here even after the 10 or so years they've been discussing it. I bet you guys would believe in the next 5 years too.

Tyson Chandler. . . ish

Wow. That'd be great.

And stop it, "O." You know you want to believe!. You just need some Jack D inspiration!

Its Groundhog Day!!! Fran will once again use this to up the anty for him overseas.

Realistically, we NEED this guy as much as we did Troy-freaking-Murphy.

The last European big man to come in and play defense and rebound (do the dirty work) was ____? Last thing we need is another big man to stand around the arc. Now, if he is a trade chip, I'm for it.....but what can you get for him outside of Toronto, who loves foreign players?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Its Groundhog Day!!! Fran will once again use this to up the anty for him overseas.

Realistically, we NEED this guy as much as we did Troy-freaking-Murphy.

The last European big man to come in and play defense and rebound (do the dirty work) was ____? Last thing we need is another big man to stand around the arc. Now, if he is a trade chip, I'm for it.....but what can you get for him outside of Toronto, who loves foreign players?

Fran actually plays inside and rarely ever takes jumpshots. He's a really good pick and roll player who has the athleticism to finish nearly every play around the rim. Not only that, but he has pretty much carved his niche as a defensive stopper. Now, I'm not saying if he came down he'd be the next Dwight Howard, but I think Tyson Chandler is a bit realistic. Fran could pretty much do what Gortat did except he's a much better finisher around the rim.

And some info from draft express:

February 26, 2009

One of the revelations of this year’s ACB season has been the sudden revival of Barcelona big man Fran Vazquez. Already left for dead after struggling to get off the bench last season playing for the very strict and demanding Dusko Ivanovic (now in Tau), Vazquez has taken full advantage of the opportunity presented to him by new head coach Xavi Pascual, emerging as one of the most productive rebounders, shot-blockers and finishers in European basketball. He ranks #1 in both in the Euroleague and ACB in blocked shots per-40 pace adjusted, 4th in the ACB in rebounding, and 1st in the ACB in FG%. Physically, he looks better and his confidence seems to be way up.

Coach Pascual has done an excellent job simplifying the game for the physically gifted, but not terribly skilled or smart big man. His role is essentially to run from rim to rim and back, maximizing his strengths while minimizing his weaknesses. Almost all of Vazquez’s shots come in the immediate area of the paint, where he is an awesome finisher thanks to his freakish length and athleticism. He makes an incredible 82% of his attempts around the basket according to Synergy Sports Technology, and is a constant target for lobs and simple drop-offs from his very generous teammates.

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Fran-Vazquez-23/#ixzz1G3NQDSVj

http://www.draftexpress.com

Speaking of strengths, Vazquez has really embraced his role as defensive stopper this year, showing terrific activity level on this end of the floor. As mentioned, per-minute he ranks as the #1 shot-blocker in both the Euroleague and ACB, and his impact extends beyond the paint, as he’s able to accurately hedge pick and rolls and even stay in front of opposing guards. As a post-defender, Vazquez is not quite as effective, as he lacks the strength to hold his ground against the bigger and burlier big men he’ll go up against at times, and also some awareness not biting on fakes on such, as he’s not the smartest guy you’ll find around. Still, his combination of size, length and athleticism makes him quite a presence on this side of the floor, and would also make him a valuable asset in the NBA. Not particularly known for his mental toughness, and never considered much of a self-starter, he’s done a better job staying focused and motivated this season, even when things aren’t going his way.

they also have his Best Case as a poor man's Marcus Camby (although I wouldn't look much into that)

• Upvote 1