Sign in to follow this  
Ryan the Magic Fan

My Night with the Magic Radio Broadcast Team

I wanted to give Addi his moment in the sun with his awesome story before I told you guys about mine. About two weeks ago I attended my grandfathers 80th birthday we had set up a Bubbaloos Bodacious BBQ on Alafaya. There my granddad introduced me to the owner of the joint, a fine man by the name of Sam Miner. He apparently is the nieghbor of Orlando Magic play by play announcer Dennis Neumann.

Now despite my goal to become a teacher (and the 5 years I put into UCF to accomplish it), my family has always tried to steer me towards sports broadcasting because of my speaking ability and knowledge. It was never something I seriously considered however due to how hard it is to break into that gig. But Mr. Miner offered me an awesome chance, to set up a lunch meeting with Mr. Neumann to pick his brain about his job as a Broadcaster and in turn see if he could maybe steer me in the right direction on becoming one.

I of course leaped at the opportunity. Just as a Magic fan alone the chance to speak with a man who has worked the broadcast team for the Magic for over 19 years was an honor. So two weeks ago I met Mr. Neumann and what was supposed to be a maybe hour long lunch turned into a 3 hour long discussion about not only his career in broadcasting, but also the Orlando Magic team in general, and my own recent history at UCF and Canada. The advice he gave me was incredible and opened quite a few roads for me to try and think about moving on in sports media. But what was even more incredible was his offer to have me come and sit in on an Orlando Magic live game broadcast, last week vs the Oklahoma City Thunder.

This of course had me about as happy as Jameer in a platform shoes store. For those that don't know I ended up leaving the US from July 2010 till this January for Canada. Unfortunately due to Canada's work Visa laws I was unable to stay, despite how much I loved Vancouver. I ended up missing the entire first half of the season and the opening of the Amway Center.

So to hear that I not only was getting to sit on the broadcast of guys I have been listening to for nearly 7 years, but also get to do it on my first game at the Amway Center, against a fantastic Thunder team? After I was able to regain my voice from squealing like a little girl, I promptly told Mr. Neumann I would love to join him.

Game day came around, I went and made sure I got nice and dressed up (which for me is a button up shirt and slacks, something I'm normally never caught dead in). I met up with my grandfather who also was going to the game, albeit on almost court side seats (rich bastard, I love him though). Together we drove in and I made my way to the media entrance. That is when the chills really started to seep in big time. I got my first ever press badge and headed up the elevator.

IMG_0234.jpg

Unfortunately for the radio team, the new arena places them up right on the club level, about halfway up. Dennis really doesn't like it, saying that although it does give them a better view of things, it really takes away from the feel of the game they would get being right on the floor, making it harder for them to express the feelings they get from the players. Outside of that though you still got an awesome view.

P2260085.jpg

After a few introductions it was time to get to work. I was given a headset with a Mic, a 30 page thick Thunder vs Magic breakdown that gave me every stat and story imaginable about the two teams, a 30 page stat sheet on the Magic that broke down every game of the season and the records of the team when faced in certain situations, the season long media guide and finally the most important part piece of equipment, a bottle of water.

P2260091.jpg

I wasn't speaking during the broadcast itself, but Dennis invited me to help him out as much as I could by writing things down or pointing out players and stats then handing it to him. I did my best and he actually used a few things I told him about, but I was just amazed by how in touch he and Richie Adubato are with the league and all the news going on. The big topic at the time was all about the Pistons players in revolt and we all discussed wondering how long Kuester would be able to keep his job.

As the game went on we were treated to as you all know, a very impressive win by the Magic. And during that time Dennis was awesome and fielded every question I had, even though he had his own responsibilities. He told me one of the biggest parts of his job was balancing being a Fan and a broadcaster at that same time. The fan in him is what gives him the passion for his job and makes him so good at it. But if you go too far overboard, you start sounding like any biased yahoo.

I got a good view as to how much truly goes on during a broadcast too behind the scenes. Dennis and Richie are constantly making notes and highlighting stats that they may not even use. The edit team is constantly at work, both on volume and mic control, to occasionally handing the broadcast team an update like the Magic going on a 9-0 run. During every time out I was handed the same updated stat sheet with every stat conceivable in the game.

P2260090.jpg

In return, he and coach Adubato had some questions for me. Being removed from the fans for so much they also seemed to like to know what was the pulse of the Magic fans. Some things they already knew about of course, like the absolute fear of Dwight Howard leaving. And then some they just couldn't even begin to understand, like the up until recent call by a large minority of Magic fan's to have Gilbert Arenas start over Jameer Nelson. When I dropped that one, Coach Adubato looked at me with the most incredulous look on his face and asked, "What team are they watching?"

Unfortunately the night had to come to an end but not before a great Magic win and an awesome chance to speak a little bit more with Dennis. Here he asked me if I enjoyed it and what my thoughts were on the night. After telling him how much fun I had and how much more interested in the broadcast side of sports he spoke with me about an idea. "Getting your voice heard is the hardest part about this gig Ryan. But in this internet age, it can also be the easiest." Dennis has been around to many other sports cities and spoken with many different media personalities, and he felt that my best chance to try and move forward would be by trying to work on a Magic and NBA based web episode. With that, I could really see how well I do, and if I do well, he could then help me by showing it to some people who really could work with it.

So now I have my plan. I wanted to share my experience here with you guys on truebluenation because I felt you would love to hear about it more then anything. I'm going to follow through on this web based Magic and NBA show and when the first one is ready I can't wait to show it to you guys. Thanks to Mr. Neumann and Coach Adubato for letting me sit in, and also to Scott Anez for giving up his usual seat for me.

The best thing I will take away from that night though was not my first game in the Amway Center. Or an awesome Magic win. It was Dennis words to me: "Ryan I meet a lot of kid's who may have the degree, but don't have the talent or the passion to use it. That is something you clearly have, and if your going to use it, don't waste it."

P2260092.jpg

• Upvote 15
  • Downvote 1

Power Post. 10/10. Will Read again..we're not worthy....etc. :headbang:

Seriously, good stuff man. Congrats on it.

Hey Ryan,

Congratulations man

Maybe we'll see you succeed Dennis as the new play by play announcer on the radio.

Keep us updated on your progress!

AND GO MAGICCCCCCCCCC

btw, if you get a gig somewhere use a catch phrase like

"SHAZAMMMMM"

"BOO YAHHHHHHHHHH"

or "DWIGHT JUST BOOMED ON HIM"

maybe not shazamm but you get my point lol, (maybe we should vote)

GOOD LUCK MAN

<---- jealous

now you should call him up and ask if the edit team needs a new member

nawwwwwwwwww

but srsly

Hey Ryan,

Congratulations man

Maybe we'll see you succeed Dennis as the new play by play announcer on the radio.

Keep us updated on your progress!

AND GO MAGICCCCCCCCCC

btw, if you get a gig somewhere use a catch phrase like

"SHAZAMMMMM"

"BOO YAHHHHHHHHHH"

or "DWIGHT JUST BOOMED ON HIM"

maybe not shazamm but you get my point lol, (maybe we should vote)

GOOD LUCK MAN

JD?

Awesome story Ryan.