Sign in to follow this  
Skywise316

Official Game Thread: Charlotte Bobcats @ Orlando Magic 2/27/11

Alright then, forum.

I did a Game Thread in 2 hours on the fly while simultateously taking care of my five month old son. There's no reason why this forum can't get game threads together on a regular basis, and there's no need to use nearly as many pictures as I do either. :tongue:

The Magic have stepped it up, don't you think it's high time we do, too?

^^ Awesome pic, btw Miller.

• Downvote 1

Thoughts on the game:

1. Outside of a couple decent rebounds..Ryan Anderson was atrocious. Still wondering where all this upside is that everyone is talking about, besides chucking anywhere from 5 to 10 threes a game...and being wildly inconsistent at hitting them - 2/9 from the field and eight of those were 3 pointers...really? I'd say about 5 of those 8 three's were highly contested as well...and due to his release being so damn low it is so easy to contest his shot, which is why he struggles against teams that close out hard. Should also be noted that Shaun "No knees" Livingston posterized him in the second quarter.

2. Great game from both Jameer/Gil. Thought jameer played fantastic. Gil played within himself and looked very confident with his shot tonight. We'll need both of them come playoff time to be on top of their game.

3. Good defense. Players are actually guarding their man, making it easier for dwight to help and block/contest shots.

4. Hedo has played very well the past 2 games..I think him and Dwight have found a new OOP off that high pick and roll. He's being a playmaker.

5. Earl Clark needs more then 8 minutes. He arguably just locked down the best scorer in the NBA on friday night and SVG awards him with 8 minutes the next game....while Stephen Jackson lights us up....does it not cross SVG's mind that our best defensive player is sitting right there on the bench? I think Jax would have been held to the mid 20's if we put Earl on him. Carmelo will score 40 on us if we let Hedo guard him...I would like to see Earl on him tomorrow night and start getting minutes anywhere from 15-20 minutes every game, he's just too good to not get that kind of minutes. Anderson's minutes should be cut to about 20 minutes, he played 27 last night.

Thoughts on the game:

1. Outside of a couple decent rebounds..Ryan Anderson was atrocious. Still wondering where all this upside is that everyone is talking about, besides chucking anywhere from 5 to 10 threes a game...and being wildly inconsistent at hitting them - 2/9 from the field and eight of those were 3 pointers...really? I'd say about 5 of those 8 three's were highly contested as well...and due to his release being so damn low it is so easy to contest his shot, which is why he struggles against teams that close out hard. Should also be noted that Shaun "No knees" Livingston posterized him in the second quarter.

Ummm...Ryan is 42nd in the league in 3pt field-goal %, ahead of guys like J-Rich, Pierce, Frye and Ben Gordon. If he's open, he takes the shot, plain and simple. Waiting for a better shooting opportunity that may never come will do the team more bad than good.

Ummm...Ryan is 42nd in the league in 3pt field-goal %, ahead of guys like J-Rich, Pierce, Frye and Ben Gordon. If he's open, he takes the shot, plain and simple. Waiting for a better shooting opportunity that may never come will do the team more bad than good.

not to mention he's 2nd on the team in PER and third in TS%

*******BEGIN TRANSMISSION*******

It is remarkable that there are man-animals on this board who will give Ryan Anderson grief for his 3pt shooting volume and 3pt%, and yet those same people tend to insist that the sub-creature called Gilbert Arenas should get more minutes.

The sub-creatures of Teegeeack are foolish indeed!

Ha-ha!

******END TRANSMISSION*******

• Upvote 1

Am I the only fan that thought Bass played a decent game?

He put an end to Diaw's nonsense in the post pretty quick. If he could just play team D as well as his one on one D I would be a happy guy.

Unfortunately, the better shooting opportunity is usually one pass away. He just refuses to make that pass. Also, he was rarely open last night..I believe 5 out of 8 three's were contested. I don't mind him shooting a wide open three, the problem is when we play against teams that are better at contesting three pointers he still shoots and the better option is usually one pass away. His release is too low to ever be a consistent knock down shooter over a contested hand. Ryan Anderson has always struggled against good defensive teams. To understand this, lets bring some stats that actually matter into this situation:

2010 Playoffs Ryan Anderson :

FG: 9 FGA: 29 = 31 %

3P : 4 3PA : 14 = 28%

These stats are exclusively against teams that are actually trying to play defense and contest shots(its the playoffs). His biggest struggles we're against Charlotte and Boston(two of the best defensive teams last year). These stats matter to me far more then stats where he can get those open shots against teams that don't know how to play defense or teams that just don't play defense because they suck....in the regular season. Aka the Cleveland/Washingtons/Golden State's of the league.

Now, lets look at a more telling statistic since people seem to think he is such a great rebounder:

Total minutes played: 89 Total rebounds : 31

Ouch. What this in fact tells me is that Ryan Anderson is actually a very average rebounder against playoff caliber teams. Now, Ryan Anderson particularly struggled against the Celtics(team with size, length, defense). This year will arguably be the toughest playoff run we have ever had to face in the past 3-4 seasons. If we play Chicago, Miami, Boston, or LA in the playoffs...I expect more of the same from Ryan Anderson struggling against length and good defense, as he always has.

It is remarkable that there are man-animals on this board who will give Ryan Anderson grief for his 3pt shooting volume and 3pt%, and yet those same people tend to insist that the sub-creature called Gilbert Arenas should get more minutes.

The sub-creatures of Teegeeack are foolish indeed!

Ha-ha!

******END TRANSMISSION*******

As much as you scour this forum, this is quite wrong. I have never said that gilbert should get more minutes, not once. I have been one of Jameer's biggest supporters since he has come into this league, you can also find many posts of me defending Jameer..also in the chat as well. Not quite the effort I would expect from a "Galactic Leader" ????

Being as slow as SVG is, in regards to adjustments, I think he'll figure it out next year.

I think the problem is that Earl is pretty raw on the offensive end and it might work in regular season but when you get to the playoffs I would guess it would be the same as Boston letting Barnes shoot open threes.

But idk really lol. Since we only had small lead in the halftime.

that just don't play defense because they suck....in the regular season. Aka the Cleveland/Washingtons/Golden State's of the league.

Now, lets look at a more telling statistic since people seem to think he is such a great rebounder:

Total minutes played: 89 Total rebounds : 31

Ouch. What this in fact tells me is that Ryan Anderson is actually a very average rebounder against playoff caliber teams. ?

Then you are truly a fool, pathetic man-animal.

31 rebounds in 89 minutes equates to 13.93 rebounds per 40 minutes played.

If Anderson were to put up those numbers in the regular season, his rebound rate would rank him 3rd in the whole of the NBA this season, behind only Dwight and Kevin Love.

Such a rate is hardly, to use your foolish words, "very average".

*******END TRANSMISSION*******