Sign in to follow this  
Drain-O

SVG on Mike and Mike

SVG Synopsis:

Greeny opens the show saying they are interviewing their second Van Gundy in two days. Stan says if I am second to my brother then something is not going right in life. Greeny then says well we were going to interview Billy Donovan but he backed out.

SVG said he actually talked to Billy and they are good friends. Said he would not have had the courage to back out of something like Billy did.

They asked him what made the Orlando job so attractive.

He said basically the young core beginning with Dwight Howard, salary cap flexibility, and being in a place where free agents want to go.

He then applauded the front office and especially Otis saying he made tremendous moves to build this team including getting Carlos, Darko, Trevor, and Penny's expiring contract.

They asked him since every coach has some kind of ego how does he feel about being second choice. He said he does not mind it and in every job he has ever gotten even in college he was second choice. He said maybe one day he will ride in on the white horse but probably not.

They asked him about the Spurs and how Tim Legler said they were the model franchise in all of sports. He asked what they do so well and if they would try to emulate. He said the Spurs have a great vision for the team and what kind of players they want for the system. He said they also display a great amount of professionalism.

They asked him about his style and he said it all starts with defense. He said that Brian Hill laid a great defensive foundation that he hopes to build on. He said fans all want their teams to be Phoenix but noted the 2 best defensive teams in the NBA are in the finals.

On offense he said he would work to strength of his personel essentially. He said you want two guys who can create double teams and mismatches one which they have and one they hope to get on the wing. Does not really sound like he is tied to one way of offense.

Finally they said we have known you since you did some baseball analysis for us on Cold Pizza and he joked with saying they were the first to applaud him for his work and they should put in a good word for him.

Then finished by asking if he would be staying with the Magic and he said yes.

A little summary, but I think they will put it on the Espn website so you can listen to it later.

What do you think about being a 2nd choice:

Stan: I'm used to it. I'm never a guy who people get excited for, but always the one "Oh, we got him..". It was same in college, in Heat and now in Orlando.But the results are there on the court and it's all that matters.

Also talked a little about the game plan for the Magic, and he said he likes to do offensive mismatches, like one we got with Dwight, and hopes to add some more this summer. So teams have to double team and give us chance for easy baskets.

I'm not sure if he talked about anything else before this, but that's what I caught. Hope it's helpful.

quote:
Originally posted by Drain-O:

SVG Synopsis:

He said you want two guys who can create double teams and mismatches one which they have and one they hope to get on the wing.

He mentioned Dwight Howard as the go to guy we already have. Dwight as you recall complained about not getting enough touches. Also said ONE MORE perimeter scorer. That sounds to me like Lewis is our guy.

SVG also said that if you have a scorer(talking about Redick?), you need to figure out how to use him. Point forward anyone?

Thanks for the summary guys. I really like how this man thinks and coaches. Its also glad to see he's hard at work already.

At this point, I do not know who will be our FA target. I would assume we go for someone younger so SVG can develop their game more; that can be RL or GW....but who knows.

SVG is very creative. He would put JJ at PG if he thought he could do it.

Honestly, if JJ had better handles, he would be a killer spot PG. His TO rate is very low and his vision is great.

We could easily have Lewis and Ariza out there together if Ariza improves his midrange game. His game got way better last offseason, so let's see how he does this time.

I expect to see Ariza play PF, SF and some SG this year.

If we get Lewis, he will play SF and SG.

Starting Ariza at SG still seems like a stretch to me, but defensively, it makes a lot of sense. That guy would lock people down and make life easier for a guy like Rashard.

quote:
Honestly, if JJ had better handles, he would be a killer spot PG. His TO rate is very low and his vision is great.

Do we know specifically what JJ is working on the most this summer? Obviously his all around game, but will he be putting a greater amount of effort into handling the ball? It would be nice.

Nice summary Drain-o.

Also, did he mention Nelson on the interview, and for that matter, I don't recall Nelson being mentioned at the press conference yesterday. I'm I wrong?

quote:
Originally posted by WPMagic:

quote:

Do we know specifically what JJ is working on the most this summer? Obviously his all around game, but will he be putting a greater amount of effort into handling the ball? It would be nice.

No we dont..but when you watch an star PG in the NBA, their dribbling is superstar level stuff. Jameer has amazing dribble skills too for example. I don't know if it is something that can learned over 1 summer, but I look at JJ, a great shooter with vision, and I see a guy who could be scary as a combo guard.