Sign in to follow this  
The Ryan Anderbads

Has SVG failed the Magic? OR Management? OR players?

Why are you comparing me to other people? :) I never liked SVG, never. All this 4 shooters surrounding Dwight and playing "small" is his stupid idea, yes Otis made mistakes but he was getting players for SVG's model of play...

His stupid idea of play has gotten us three consecutive 50 win seasons, a Finals appearance, and two ECF appearances. I'm sure you'll ***** how we don't have a title, but let's face it. The Magic haven't built some mega super roster that should be the favorites to win a title. We've been the underdog for years, and we exceeded a lot of people's expectations over the years. Now we are underachieving, but I mostly blame it on on the trades. Our starting five is barely improved if at all, and we lost a lot of depth in the moves. We were 15-4 before the flu, Otis probably should've just hanged on. These deals still would've been on the table a few weeks later.

Gilbert Arenas in no way fits SVG's model of play. I still believe Stan wasn't thrilled with that. Gilbert was a Otis pickup all the way.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Okay then basketball genius. What should Stan be doing besides giving Dwight the ball every time down the floor and not let anyone else get involved? Tell everyone to start taking midrange jumpers? You know those shots are less effective than threes and nobody on this roster except Bass and sometimes Jameer on pick and rolls is a really good midrange player. The plan has been to create space for the league's best big and shooting room for deadly three point shooters. That style of player has brought this team a lot of success. It's been rough as of late, but people are missing open shots and the team isn't as talented and "gelled" as some of the teams we've had in the past.

Why are you comparing me to other people? :) I never liked SVG, never. All this 4 shooters surrounding Dwight and playing "small" is his stupid idea, yes Otis made mistakes but he was getting players for SVG's model of play...

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

SVG can not make the entry passes for Jameer to Dwight. SVG can not force Ryan to pass up an open three point shot and drive to the hoop. It comes down to having the right players. Jameer is not the best passer and gives up a lot of turnovers trying to get it into Dwight. SVG is not the problem. Having a bunch of players just happy to be playing ball is the problem. Blowing up the team every year is the problem. Players not having the WILL to win is the problem (e.g. Heart and Hustle Darrell Armstrong, Ben Wallace, Ron Mercer, Jon Amaechi, Bo Outlaw with a Rookie Coach in Doc Rivers 41-41 - not one superstar).

His stupid idea of play has gotten us three consecutive 50 win seasons, a Finals appearance, and two ECF appearances. I'm sure you'll ***** how we don't have a title, but let's face it.

I am explaining you this for the last time. Each of those "successful" seasons was ended by a lopsided loss in a playoffs to a stronger, taller, tougher, more physical team. First season-loss to Detroit Pistons 4:1 (Billiups was not playing for most of the series). Second loss to L.A.Lakers 4:1 again. And last season 4:2 loss to Boston Celtics (were down 0:3, lost first 2 home games). All those teams were playing the same way, single cover for Dwight, good perimeter defense. SVG never learned a lesson. For the 4th season in a row he started with Rashard Lewis at PF. I don't care we had a 50 win season, or ECF appearances in a dreadful Eastern Conference. I was watching every game in playoffs and we were pushed around by Pistons, Celtics and Lakers, outrebounded, outhustled, outcoached. You never win a title by shooting 30 three pointers a game, by playing small both in backcourt and frontcourt.

Okay then basketball genius. What should Stan be doing besides giving Dwight the ball every time down the floor and not let anyone else get involved?

Improve a ball movement, Jameer is overdribbling. Improve discipline. Everytime Jameer dribbles the ball to the paint, then makes a circle and then takes a fadeaway jumper, he should be benched. Same with Hedo, Arenas and Anderson. Every lazy pass, dribble, not boxing out, should be punished by benching. Of course all those things should be explained first.

Right, Dwight has to take more FGA. Only this season he finally started to get the ball more, previous seasons SVG was only asking Dwight to defend, rebound and to run the flour. If he was invlolved more in offense last year and a year before, he would have been more comfortable now.

SVG has to stop creating mismatches for his own team. Nelson and Arenas should never play together! Nelson-Redick-Richardson should never play together. So, Arenas can not play SG, Richardson can't play SF. Everytime SVG playing them out of position, opponents make a run.

He has to post up Hedo, Richardson, Arenas more on the offensive end.

Pick and Roll is great but not all game long. Every team in the league knows how Magic is playing. Pick and Roll, Pick and Roll...come on, there are hundreds plays available. Create something different, using passing abilities of your players, work on Howard's passing, he has a potential.

Improve one on one defense. Stop helping on each play. Whoever is attacking us, we double! Players must be able to defend one on one, of course when Wade is driving, or Lebron it is different but we are helping when players like Luther Head, Willie Green, Jareth Jack and others are driving, which results in a wide open jumpshots for their team mates.

• Upvote 1

Allow me to chime in dry.gif

SVG has brought great things to this franchise, but his time is up. The game plan and his ideas are old and its time for a shake up. A different method, a different idea.

Otis Smith. A team in my eyes should be formed on the basis that each of its parts compliments one another. The depth and personnel of our rosters in the 08-09 (more so) season through to the 09-10 season were on par with what I believe a roster should look like. Each successful team has components that complement each other through the characteristics of each players skill set/persona/physical and mental attributes. Right now, this roster has glaring holes and needs and unless attained, success is very far away. The present acquisitions have been sub par and haven't answered any problems. In fact, they have created more. This is pretty average on Otis' part. I still hold faith in Otis, but I wish he'd made a much lesser impact. The team didn't need to be blown up.

The players. As Dwight stated and many have done before, 'talent alone isn't going to win championships.'

All in all I nothing good is coming out of this team in its present state and I'm not very optimistic for the future, unless changes are made. Its damn frustrating to see what we're producing right now.

• Upvote 1

Allow me to chime in dry.gif

SVG has brought great things to this franchise, but his time is up. The game plan and his ideas are old and its time for a shake up. A different method, a different idea.

Otis Smith. A team in my eyes should be formed on the basis that each of its parts compliments one another. The depth and personnel of our rosters in the 08-09 (more so) season through to the 09-10 season were on par with what I believe a roster should look like. Each successful team has components that complement each other through the characteristics of each players skill set/persona/physical and mental attributes. Right now, this roster has glaring holes and needs and unless attained, success is very far away. The present acquisitions have been sub par and haven't answered any problems. In fact, they have created more. This is pretty average on Otis' part. I still hold faith in Otis, but I wish he'd made a much lesser impact. The team didn't need to be blown up.

The players. As Dwight stated and many have done before, 'talent alone isn't going to win championships.'

All in all I nothing good is coming out of this team in its present state and I'm not very optimistic for the future, unless changes are made. Its damn frustrating to see what we're producing right now.

Stan's time is not up. Otis is the one right now whos in the hot seat. You don't fix your defensive problems by adding even WORSE defensive players.

Stan can't turn water into wine. He isn't going to turn guys who never cared about defense into defensive players. Getting rid of Stan would set us back competely and assures Dwight will be outta here. Did you not hear Stan speak up for Dwight in unison with him? Split that up and its going to be a disaster.

If anyone has digressed this team its Otis. He had a team that went to the finals...Turns around and trades players from THAT team for a player who a year before called "fools gold"...Doesn't resign the other...THEN retains that player 2 years later and gets a player who plays exactly the same as the "fools gold" and trades a short bad contract that HE negotiated for a LONGER more EXPENSIVE one that comes with his own arthritic knee. Each year during all of this, we keep moving down. Coincedence? Think not.

Otis needs to go. If you gave grades for the talent surrounding dwight NONE of it would be given any higher than a B (maybe B-). Most would be given D to B- grades on talent. Meanwhile the payroll reflects a team which should have 3 A talents and B's for the remainder and a few c's sprinkled in for potential. SVG is not the issue! The talent level of the players given their salaries is the issue. Face it, the guys surrounding dwight just arent that talented and have little potential to grow (minus Earl, Bass and Anderson who are young).

Stan's time is not up. Otis is the one right now whos in the hot seat. You don't fix your defensive problems by adding even WORSE defensive players.

Stan can't turn water into wine. He isn't going to turn guys who never cared about defense into defensive players. Getting rid of Stan would set us back competely and assures Dwight will be outta here. Did you not hear Stan speak up for Dwight in unison with him? Split that up and its going to be a disaster.

If anyone has digressed this team its Otis. He had a team that went to the finals...Turns around and trades players from THAT team for a player who a year before called "fools gold"...Doesn't resign the other...THEN retains that player 2 years later and gets a player who plays exactly the same as the "fools gold" and trades a short bad contract that HE negotiated for a LONGER more EXPENSIVE one that comes with his own arthritic knee. Each year during all of this, we keep moving down. Coincedence? Think not.

Otis. He tried to reinvigorate the team. Lessons will be learnt from this, but I still have a belief in him to build successful teams. He did form that team that got us to the finals. He turned it upside down, but he's familiar with what got us there and I believe he can get us there again. I don't know why though, smile.gif

I just hate what were getting right now from this team and I'm not at all intrigued by our style of play to win a championship. We had the parts as you mentioned in 08-09 and Stan exploited these amazingly well, but I think both past and present he's failed to find solutions to our problems. The roster decisions along the way have not helped his cause, but I still believe he has had the tools at his disposal, both present and past to try different things, provide different solutions. I just haven't seen any answers, particularly this season.

On Dwight staying here. Dwight will need the belief that this team can win whether under SVG or someone else, I don't think it matters.

Otis. He tried to reinvigorate the team. Lessons will be learnt from this, but I still have a belief in him to build successful teams. He did form that team that got us to the finals. He turned it upside down, but he's familiar with what got us there and I believe he can get us there again. I don't know why though, smile.gif

I just hate what were getting right now from this team and I'm not at all intrigued by our style of play to win a championship. We had the parts as you mentioned in 08-09 and Stan exploited these amazingly well, but I think both past and present he's failed to find solutions to our problems. The roster decisions along the way have not helped his cause, but I still believe he has had the tools at his disposal, both present and past to see us have more success than we have had.

On Dwight staying here. Dwight will need the belief that this team can win whether under SVG or someone else, I don't think it matters.

He tried reinvigorating through trades that gave us less flexibility and duplicating talent and a player HE didn't resign 2 years ago. At this point, hes winging it. I'm not ready to push the red button on Otis but I'm definitely leaning towards it. You don't take a Finals team and make moves that he did so fast.

Stan has preached and preached about defense for a looong time. Him and Dwight have repeated and worked and worked constantly. What Otis has done, is not working.

Dwight needs to believe that he can stay competitive. Period. Right now thats looking slim.

He tried reinvigorating through trades that gave us less flexibility and duplicating talent and a player HE didn't resign 2 years ago. At this point, hes winging it. I'm not ready to push the red button on Otis but I'm definitely leaning towards it. You don't take a Finals team and make moves that he did so fast.

Stan has preached and preached about defense for a looong time. Him and Dwight have repeated and worked and worked constantly. What Otis has done, is not working.

Dwight needs to believe that he can stay competitive. Period. Right now thats looking slim.

Wellllll, these aren't fun time. hahahaha thats all I'll say.

Ill give my take and people feel free to give me your input cuz im frustrated as hell with this team! I grew up in the orlando area and have been following the magic religiously since its inception. My main problem is with management and what I have noticed as a habit of going after players in the mid to late stage of their careers. With the exception of tmac..horace grant and maybe a few others we seem to get has beens. Until Otis grows a pair of prunes between his legs and gets another star to take some of the pressure off D12 we are screwed. I do not even want to consider what we could get for howard in a trade...i want to hear what we will trade to get him some help. I dont want another shaq episode to happen with howard. Make something happen or quit mr smith!