Sign in to follow this  
KandiKane

John Denton: Arenas knee's still an issue

Arenas said pregame vs cavs that he has a knee bruise. Kurt Thomas is the one who injured him and he explains that is why he threw the elbow at kurt thomas because he injured him.

For full video its on NBA.com under the orlando magic section before cavs game.

Lewis is already on a Peja level IMO. Or at least close to it. I don't miss Rashard Lewis as a player at all. But his contract was more friendly to our future than Arenas. If we don't win a title, our best pitch to Dwight to stay in Orlando would be the summer of 2012. With both he and Rashard's contracts coming off the books, we could have Dwight play the Wade role and recruit someone like Deron Williams to Orlando with him. But now we have Gilbert Arenas' big contracts on the books that summer. We'll see how it goes, but I'm not sure the reward we could get from Arenas is worth the risk we are taking. If he helps win us a title, it's all good. But if he doesn't and his contract ends up costing us Dwight, Otis will probably be run out of town.

Rashard's contract does not come off the books the summer of 2012. He in fact has a mostly guaranteed contract through the summer of 2013 that at a minimum pays him $10M - $17.5M of the $23M owed if he meets health and performance benchmarks - which in my opinion has a lot to do with his level of aggressiveness and as that 2012 summer approaches he would be an idiot to do anything that could risk that guarantee. Good luck getting him to play hard next year. Thats the season that Howard has the option.

Arenas's contract on the other hand does have a player option the summer of 2011/12 season. Given the relationship with Otis it would not be a huge surprise if there was not a verbal agreement or even a yet disclosed aspect of his current contract with Arenas (for getting him out of the Wiz situation) promising to renegotiate that summer. Hedo waived the last year of his contract prior to the Phoenix trade in order to get out of Toronto - and that fact did not surface until this trade - Arenas could have possibly done that but that likely won't be disclosed until that summer. Regardless of wether that behind the scenes type of deal was struck, Arenas has a contractual window that would under the current CBA would allow for a renegotiation of his contract - Rashard's contract does not and is mostly guaranteed and he will be 34 yr old so it is very very unlikely he opts out of that contract.

The notion that Rashard's contract was better for the Magic the summer of 2012 is forum myth as Dwight will almost suredly have sealed his fate by then especially if there is a lockout.

Rashard's contract does not come off the books the summer of 2012. He in fact has a mostly guaranteed contract through the summer of 2013 that at a minimum pays him $10M - $17.5M of the $23M owed if he meets health and performance benchmarks - which in my opinion has a lot to do with his level of aggressiveness and as that 2012 summer approaches he would be an idiot to do anything that could risk that guarantee. Good luck getting him to play hard next year. Thats the season that Howard has the option.

Arenas's contract on the other hand does have a player option the summer of 2011/12 season. Given the relationship with Otis it would not be a huge surprise if there was not a verbal agreement or even a yet disclosed aspect of his current contract with Arenas (for getting him out of the Wiz situation) promising to renegotiate that summer. Hedo waived the last year of his contract prior to the Phoenix trade in order to get out of Toronto - and that fact did not surface until this trade - Arenas could have possibly done that but that likely won't be disclosed until that summer. Regardless of wether that behind the scenes type of deal was struck, Arenas has a contractual window that would under the current CBA would allow for a renegotiation of his contract - Rashard's contract does not and is mostly guaranteed and he will be 34 yr old so it is very very unlikely he opts out of that contract.

The notion that Rashard's contract was better for the Magic the summer of 2012 is forum myth as Dwight will almost suredly have sealed his fate by then especially if there is a lockout.

I have been waiting for weeks to see someone post this. I'm sure that Dwight has the inside info on Gilbert's "arrangement" with Otis in regards to his contract because they have obviously become good friends in the short period of time that Arenas has been here. The naysayers who are complaining about his contract will be jumping for joy when it comes time to resign Dwight because Otis and Gilbert have already struck a deal to make sure it happens. Book it.

I have been waiting for weeks to see someone post this. I'm sure that Dwight has the inside info on Gilbert's "arrangement" with Otis in regards to his contract because they have obviously become good friends in the short period of time that Arenas has been here. The naysayers who are complaining about his contract will be jumping for joy when it comes time to resign Dwight because Otis and Gilbert have already struck a deal to make sure it happens. Book it.

Nothing would make me happier, I just hope you guys are right. It's a little tough to believe though, I have some really good friends but I'm not sure any of them would give up 20mill as a favor to me.

Nothing would make me happier, I just hope you guys are right. It's a little tough to believe though, I have some really good friends but I'm not sure any of them would give up 20mill as a favor to me.

It could be like what R-Jeff did last year to a certain extent. Give up his last year for a longer deal that ends up paying him more in the long run. Would you rather have 10 dollars now or 10 dollars every year for 4 years. That sort of thing.

Who knows?

I was thinking along the same lines as this too.... just was too scared to get smashed by some members on here. Why would Arenas give up so much money they would say.... But hey richard Jefferson did something similar with the spurs this summer.

I think there could be a massive possibility that this happens, Arenas is a different type of person than most of us, and it wouldnt shock me if he did it. He comes across as a selfless person sometimes, even too selfless

Most actually believe Howard would not opt out of his contract, meaning that Howard and Lewis' contracts would expire at the same time. As far as a long term plan goes, would you rather know the Magic are stuck with Arenas and Hedo for a few more years with or without Dwight or have the possibility of Dwight/Lewis coming off the book at the same year and the Magic being able to re-sign Dwight AND another max player (all of this assuming the CBA doesn't change to the point where this wouldn't even be possible).

I liked the JRich trade and think this current team is better than what we had before but I do think the Arenas trade was premature and that the team's future will suffer dearly if this current squad doesn't deliver a championship.

And as I've said before, had we kept Lewis, the team could've tried to move Bass/Q/Duhon to give room for a combo big/backup PG and limited Lewis' numbers at PF so that Ryno could continue to get big minutes. Have Lewis start at PF but also play backup SF minutes while lowering his total minutes played per game.

It's obviously not as easy as it sounds and maybe Lewis had bigger problems with the team (in the locker room), but Otiz had plenty of time to plan things out as we still haven't reached the deadline. . .

or maybe he's not done yet