Sign in to follow this  
Svanxx

Wolves get 5 techs in 10 seconds

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/recap?gid=2011011116#mwpphu-container

Mauer, a cousin of Twins superstar Joe Mauer and a St. Paul native, whistled the Wolves for five technical fouls in a dizzying 10 seconds of the third quarter, allowing the calm and collected San Antonio Spurs to take control of another head-scratchingly tight game between the best team in the NBA and one of the worst. “I’ve never seen that before,” said Wolves forward Kevin Love(notes), who picked up the final technical of the spree. “Five in a row, that had to be a first. That was crazy.”

The Timberwolves rallied early in the third, trimming a 16-point deficit to 68-62 in the first 2 1/2 minutes. But the game turned with 8:36 to play in the quarter when Mauer started handing out technical fouls almost faster than he could blow his whistle. He gave one each to Darko Milicic(notes) and Corey Brewer(notes) for gesturing toward him on the same play, a rare occurrence even with the NBA making that a point of emphasis.

“I’ve never seen that. Never,” said Michael Beasley(notes), who had just seven points on 3-for-11 shooting and left in the fourth quarter after aggravating his sprained left ankle. “I’ve seen simultaneous Ts on different teams. But on the same team, that was a first. It’s been happening all year. … I don’t like getting five Ts in 30 seconds, but you’ve got to see where the refs are coming from. If they feel you’re out of place, they’ve been doing it all year.”

Rambis got up and went to Mauer to discuss the calls and after a very brief conversation, he was given two quick technicals and ejected.

Ginobili hit all four technical free throws, and the Spurs took possession. Ten seconds later, Love threw his arms up and hollered after officials did not call a loose-ball foul on Tim Duncan(notes), and Mauer responded with the final technical.

That sure is respecting the game. Good job Stern.

When will he realize that the refs have MORE to do with disrespecting the game than the players do?

that is such a complete joke i just dont know wheather to laugh at the reffing or cry due to the demise of a great game going down the drain.

i think ill do both...

And yet, Ginobili during last night's game with the Mavs, was screaming at the refs, throwing his hands up all over the place, and no tech foul called. Big suprise.

The NBA refs are a joke. This new rule about giving tech if a player over-reacts is purely a reaction type of call. If a ref dislikes a player that player is likely to receive a T quicker than some others might.

It's just stupid.