Sign in to follow this  
Ryan the Magic Fan

Who would win?

9 members have voted

1. 1. Who would win this titanic struggle?

• The Kodiak Bear
    • The Polar Bear

So my friends I need your help in deciding a very serious argument that one day cropped up in my Japanese class at UCF. This argument took over the pre-class period for weeks and still no victor was ever decided. To this day we still have little snide remarks on facebook about who would win this epic battle.

In a fight to the death, who would win:

The Polar Bear:

article-1047466-0256D87300000578-818_468x286_popup.jpg

or

The Kodiak Bear:

800px-Male_kodiak_bear_face.JPG

Yes we spent weeks arguing this, and the debate still rages today.

• Upvote 1

It depends on the environment they were placed.

Environment will be completely neutral. The Kodiak's range is from Alaska to British Columbia and sometimes as far south as Washington and across upper canada, where as the Polar's range is Alaska across upper canada and some parts of the polar regions of Russia. So both animals deal with colder temperatures. So put em both in a blank white room at right about 32 degrees Farenheit so there is no advantage from climate.

Polar bear wins. (more often than not anyway)

It's bigger, longer, and the more aggressive animal (it's of my opinion they're more aggresive because of their hunting mentality). They can kill an adult walrus (twice its size) and drag its dead body across the snow with their powerful necks. They've also been known to cover the hole of beluga whales rising to the surface and strike them with one fatal blow to the head. Yeah, they're badass. They also have stronger teeth and paws do to their prey of choice and the fact that they're 100% carnivores, whereas Kodiak bears typically eat berries, bark, seaweed, deer, and the abundant amount of salmon they have access to do to their environment.

Kodiak's are more stout and thick, but they still weigh less and aren't accustomed to attacking bigger animals. Kodiak's are also strong as hell, considering they can basically rip up forests. However, I just think polar bears are the aggressor, and have developed into brutal predators that basically view anything that moves as food. I'll take the experienced hunter on this one.

As far as the fight itself, I think the polar bear would use its long reach to hit the other kodiak bear's head. The kodiak does have an extremely large skull, so it could probably take a bit of a beating. I've also read that polar bears are known to overheat, so if the fight dragged on, the advantage might swing to the Kodiak.

To be honest, this is a pretty even match-up, and it could easily go either way. I'm not a scientist, nor I have I observed bear fights in the wild, so all of this is basically conjecture on my part.

Polar Bear

Little known fact about Polar Bears, they are left handed. That's an enormous tactical advantage when your opponent is unawares of your dominate stricking hand. Throw in it's significant reach advantage & I doubt Kodiak ever recovers from the shock of the initial blow.

In all seriousness, I still say Polar Bear. Kodiaks are more territorial & aggressive. PB's are the ultimate hunter and highly intelligent. There are incidents of PB's fleeing conflict w/Kodiaks, but I think that has more to do with intelligence than fear. A fight is good for nobody in this case. Kodiak is wired not to care, but I don't think that erases the fact PB's are the ultimate killing machine.

They would mate and create Poldiak bears; king of bears.

Add in some key words (Giant and Attack for example) and baby, you got a SyFy movie goin'!

Attack of the Giant Poldiak Bears