Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

Who's the odd man out to get a "BIG" (link)

Williams and Duhon won't get it done. Nobody wants one of our players who can't even crack our own lineup. You want a rotation player, you have to give up a rotation player. Redick might get a serviceable big who can spell Dwight for 10-12 minutes per game. Duhon and Williams (and Q) won't get us anything.

From George Diaz of the O-Sen :

As good as they look now, the Orlando Magic won't get far in the Eastern Conference playoffs without a true backup center. The Celtics are too good, even if Shaq has become an over-sized slug.

And the Magic get a double-whammy because of Dwight Howard's dysfunctional relationship with the referees. Whether they are unfairly picking on him or not doesn't matter. What does is that Howard, now with 11 technicals, will start sitting out games once he hits 16. After he crosses that threshold, he will miss one game for every subsequent pair of techs.

He needs a Big Buddy.

One more piece awaits, Otis. You will have to have your mojo working again, and this time it may be more challenging than dumping those bloated contracts. Trading smalls for bigs is never easy.

But the Magic need insurance, they need a back-up plan, they gotta get bigger. They will also have to give up a player of value.

And that's when it becomes dicey. The Magic might have to give up somebody they don't want to give up.

J.J. Redick? Ouch. Quentin Richardson? Not so bad. Chris Duhon? Pull the trigger now.

But this is why you are there and I am here, Otis.

You managed to move a couple of guys holding this team back.

Suddenly, the potential seems boundless.

Nice job Otis. Now do better.

As others have posted, I don't think Williams or Duhon will net us anything....certainly not a serviceable big....Q. Rich ?.......Possible but certainly not likely.

J.J. Redick ?.....Wouldn't trade him for the world right now !....Besides, we don't have a surplus of 2 guards right now.

I'll add another name, Jameer Nelson?....."the heart of the team"...."the leader"....and we do have 4 PG's currently on the roster.

I'm pullin' for you Otis....but I don't envy you.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/os-diaz-dwight-howard-magic-20101229,0,4395550.column

You would advocate trading Nelson to get a back up center? You have no qualms about heading into the post season with Arenas, Williams, and Duhon as our pg core?

You do realize his name has been mentioned by national pundits....and I didn't say I would trade him.....haven't seen enough of Gilbert yet to make that choice....just adding his name to George Diaz's list.

I do feel we have an abundance of crunch time shot makers now on the roster....without Nelson.

Turk, J. Rich and Gilbert have all hit big shots in their respective career's.....

You do realize his name has been mentioned by national pundits....and I didn't say I would trade him.....haven't seen enough of Gilbert yet to make that choice....just adding his name to George Diaz's list.

I do feel we have an abundance of crunch time shot makers now on the roster....without Nelson.

Turk, J. Rich and Gilbert have all hit big shots in their respective career's.....

Otis won't trade Jameer. He's a leader on this team and Gilbert isn't proven physically or mentally yet to do that.

Otis won't trade Jason Richardson. We become too thin at shooting guard with only JJ. I think we will re-sign him next year if things continue.

Otis won't trade Gilbert. Obvious reasons

Otis won't trade Ryan or Brandon. That defeats the purpose. We are already too thin up front. We need additional size.

Otis would like to trade Chris Duhon for a serviceable big. Not likely though as Duhon's value is at an all time low.

Q is an option as part of a package for salaries He would like to keep him but wouldn't shy away from any deal that would get what we need in return.

Earl? Young talent who's value is rising. More playing time may increase his value for both us and a potential trade partner.

Daniel Orton? He will be included in any trade if the return player is of substance(not likely though). He represents young upside which is why we drafted him. If it's a serviceable back up, the Magic won't let this guy go.

We need a situation where someone needs a point guard. It could be that they look for a big that has similar dollars to Duhon or Duhon/Q but may have more years like the Lewis/Arenas trade in Washingtons eyes. It might be that a team loses a point guard or SF due to injury and badly needs to replace that body to compete in the playoffs AND they have a big. All Long shots.

Look for a veteran player to be released once a team like Indiana or Philly are obviously not going to make the playoffs which is not the case at the moment.

It's a big need.

Ryan and Bass could get 20/10 every night from now until February and it would still be a huge need.

I definitely agree that it is a huge need. I guess that I meant by getting time to assess how big of a need, is to determine how much value we are willing to give up in return to fill it. Also, we want to determine the quality of the big man we are after. Maybe Clark's play will reduce the need to a warm body, or maybe we need to give actual assets to acquire a big like Dalembert.

Things like assessing how well Gilbert and Jameer play together can determine whether we can give up JJ or not. Obviously, I'd prefer not to, and with the BYC rules it gets extremely complicated.

I don't think its time to panic or really hurry at all to throw assets at a big. As the trade deadline nears and the frontcourt situation doesn't change, then I probably still won't panic, but I'll be getting antsy.

Obviously the ideal situation is to get a serviceable big for any combination of Duhon, J-Will, Q, TPE, or free agent pick up after the first wave of players getting released.

From George Diaz of the O-Sen :

As others have posted, I don't think Williams or Duhon will net us anything....certainly not a serviceable big....Q. Rich ?.......Possible but certainly not likely.

J.J. Redick ?.....Wouldn't trade him for the world right now !....Besides, we don't have a surplus of 2 guards right now.

I'll add another name, Jameer Nelson?....."the heart of the team"...."the leader"....and we do have 4 PG's currently on the roster.

I'm pullin' for you Otis....but I don't envy you.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/os-diaz-dwight-howard-magic-20101229,0,4395550.column

lol, I'm not surprised. I probably should be but seeing as how Rashard is gone, you have to revert back to your original whipping boy.

Otis won't trade Jameer. He's a leader on this team and Gilbert isn't proven physically or mentally yet to do that.

Otis won't trade Jason Richardson. We become too thin at shooting guard with only JJ. I think we will re-sign him next year if things continue.

Otis won't trade Gilbert. Obvious reasons

Otis won't trade Ryan or Brandon. That defeats the purpose. We are already too thin up front. We need additional size.

Otis would like to trade Chris Duhon for a serviceable big. Not likely though as Duhon's value is at an all time low.

Q is an option as part of a package for salaries He would like to keep him but wouldn't shy away from any deal that would get what we need in return.

Earl? Young talent who's value is rising. More playing time may increase his value for both us and a potential trade partner.

Daniel Orton? He will be included in any trade if the return player is of substance(not likely though). He represents young upside which is why we drafted him. If it's a serviceable back up, the Magic won't let this guy go.

We need a situation where someone needs a point guard. It could be that they look for a big that has similar dollars to Duhon or Duhon/Q but may have more years like the Lewis/Arenas trade in Washingtons eyes. It might be that a team loses a point guard or SF due to injury and badly needs to replace that body to compete in the playoffs AND they have a big. All Long shots.

Look for a veteran player to be released once a team like Indiana or Philly are obviously not going to make the playoffs which is not the case at the moment.

Thanks for your analysis.....interesting read.

Three questions :

1.) You left J.J. Redick off your list....I mean, I wouldn't trade him right now either because as you said, we're thin at SG.....but most everyone believes he's a candidate depending on who we are trying to acquire....your take on him ?

2.) You suggested picking up a veteran guy off the waiver wire later in the season.....you think that will be enough to get us past Boston (assuming K.G. is healthy) ?....as you know, they are flat-out loaded with bigs !

3.) If Arenas proves he is physically and mentally capable of shouldering the load in the coming weeks and months.....would that make Jameer expendable and would you trade him for the right piece ?

3.) If Arenas proves he is physically and mentally capable of shouldering the load in the coming weeks and months.....would that make Jameer expendable and would you trade him for the right piece ?

I think we need Arenas to play full season before even thinking of possiblity to move Nelson for another big. If he gets injured (which is not unlikely considering his past) after we do a trade, we'll have Duhon/Williams as our PGs, you really think that will do it? Also what effect would it have on Howard? You can see him being happy with Hedo being back, but trading his buddy Jameer, I think you are putting a big IF on his contract extension.

Alright, I've got 10 minutes.

Three questions :

1.) You left J.J. Redick off your list....I mean, I wouldn't trade him right now either because as you said, we're thin at SG.....but most everyone believes he's a candidate depending on who we are trying to acquire....your take on him ?

Redick is a player with a meal ticket. While you could argue that his particular meal ticket, the 3pt shot, is something we already have enough production of on our team, he's adequate or better at enough additional skills that he's worth keeping around. While his contract(and Jameer's) would be useful if we wanted to trade for a semi-major big man piece due to salary size, I ultimately don't think it's necessary for reasons I'll detail later.

2.) You suggested picking up a veteran guy off the waiver wire later in the season.....you think that will be enough to get us past Boston (assuming K.G. is healthy) ?....as you know, they are flat-out loaded with bigs !

And none of them outside of KG are significant threats to do anything of interest on offense, outside of maybe Shaq. It's worth remembering that 1) At least one of their 3 centers will never see the court in the playoffs when their rotation shrinks, 2) they're not the only team we'll play in the playoffs and 3) that Dwight should be playing 42mpg in the playoffs. While foul trouble is a possibility, planning for it should involve looking for a competent backup, not a starter caliber player. Remember: The Celtics primary backup center when they won a title was PJ Brown.

No player is ever untouchable, but you're making several strange assumptions here. The first assumption is that Arenas will ever be what he was(I highly doubt it) and second, you're assuming that Arenas's play makes Jameer expendable when Gilbert's best game with a Magic uniform(and really, all year) came when he spent more than half his minutes playing 2 guard with Jameer at point.

Would I trade Jameer if the right deal was offered? Sure. But "The right deal" isn't one where we get Marcus Camby or Samuel Dalembert.

*sigh* Junkie you're just being silly. Or old hat. Or something.

Trade Jameer. Really? Forgetting the whole best buds with Dwight thing, Gilbert Arenas is the most injury prone player on the planet since Grant Hill. The way I see it, Meer & Arenas are basically injury insurance for each other. I would be scared to death to have just one of them active on the roster with Chris Duhon immediately behind. It was kind of one of the bigger problems on the team that the trades helped cover up (along with Bass obviously needing to start at PF over Shard)? There's no way in the world we should trade one of our team leaders for a guy who's just going to be stuck behind Dwight anyway.. even if mystery big man X could split minutes between the 4 and the 5? Still not worth it.

It's not worth it for Redick, either. Look we have Quentin Richardson who would normally be a decent rotation player in the NBA, but not with our specific SG/SF rotation, suddenly. Even if you take J-Will out of the mix there's still Duhon, still Daniel Orton as a throw-in, still *wince* Earl Clark, and still a shiny new 6.8 million dollar TPE. Not to mention just possibly picking up a big guy that gets released late in the season, that always seems to happen. As far as even semi-contending teams, there'll be very few options for these guys to go to. Miami. Orlando. ATL. New Orleans? That's about it. Celtics, Spurs, Mavs, Lakers, Bulls, Jazz, are all pretty much stocked up if healthy.

I'd rather even keep patch-working the thing together with Bass (good low post defender) and/or Clark (6'10" with length) than give up Nelson or Redick for just about anyone, since Dwight will be taking those bulk of minutes. Dwight's fine. Bass is fine. Anderson's fine. We just need "big man #4" again, that's all.

Considering the sorry state of affairs for backup centers in the NBA, Junkie, we really don't need THAT much to compete, even on a Championship level, not when you already have the best center of them all... and I'd hate to trade in a small weakness to end up with an even bigger one. To paraphrase it all: If it ain't broke, don't fix it.