NittanyBuc

Potential Bigs We Can Acquire? (Post-Trade Deadline Edition)

This is a question for Catman or anyone else with an inside scoop: Any word if Otis is looking for a stopgap center for backup parts (Q, Duhon, Williams, Allen) or if he is trying to do something bigger with Ryan Anderson/Jameer/JJ as tradeable pieces? I'm just curious if I should be expecting a veteran dud like Tony Battie or something splashier like a young big man who can play the 4/5.

• Downvote 1

This is a question for Catman or anyone else with an inside scoop: Any word if Otis is looking for a stopgap center for backup parts (Q, Duhon, Williams, Allen) or if he is trying to do something bigger with Ryan Anderson/Jameer/JJ as tradeable pieces? I'm just curious if I should be expecting a veteran dud like Tony Battie or something splashier like a young big man who can play the 4/5.

I can assure you JJ and Meer won't be dispensed for s back-up Center. Most of the names mentioned in this thread are worth about a bag of chips and a soda. In other words, the basketball equivalent of Chris Duhon.

I can assure you JJ and Meer won't be dispensed for s back-up Center. Most of the names mentioned in this thread are worth about a bag of chips and a soda. In other words, the basketball equivalent of Chris Duhon.

LOL so so true

I don't know about that. I think we were spoiled with Gortat, he was a great player who keep getting better and deserved a chance to be a starter somewhere. He would have never gotten that chance here. The Magic don't need another player who plays at the same level as Gortat, they just need a player who can be productive on the defensive end when D12 is in foul trouble or needs a breather. We have enough offensive fire power on this team now that we don't need our back up to come in and score 8+8 or something like that. We really just need someone who can grab rebounds, alter shots, and prevent guards from driving and getting easy layups.

With all of that being said, I think that the best person who could fill that role is Ben Wallace or Speights or Fasenko (Utah). They would be our best options. I realize Battie was a favorite for some while he was here, but he will retire soon and is undersized for the roll we would ask him to fill. B Wallace is old too, but at least he has built his career around the defensive side of the ball. Thats my opinion anyways.

Point One: We Need a Solid Defensive Rotational PF/C ... not a Relic or a Green Bean

Forgive me for thinking this but I believe we need a very solid defensive PF/C to either start or provide steady rotation minutes. Why? Like many of you, I have little confidence in Bass' or Anderson's defensive abilities. Going against LA and Boston and their bigs, this team is gonna have problems. So ... I think Bass or Anderson (with Duhon, Q, and hopefully not JJ) needs to be sacrificed/moved for our championship run. How Bass does not know his defensive assignments at this point is mind-boggling.

Point Two: We Need to Make This Trade Soon

I can't imagine us trading for a steady rotation player in a month or two and then having to adjust the rotation again. All year this team has struggled with on-court chemistry. Adding more transition down the road to this chemistry complexity is foolish.

Point One: We Need a Solid Defensive Rotational PF/C ... not a Relic or a Green Bean

Forgive me for thinking this but I believe we need a very solid defensive PF/C to either start or provide steady rotation minutes. Why? Like many of you, I have little confidence in Bass' or Anderson's defensive abilities. Going against LA and Boston and their bigs, this team is gonna have problems. So ... I think Bass or Anderson (with Duhon, Q, and hopefully not JJ) needs to be sacrificed/moved for our championship run. How Bass does not know his defensive assignments at this point is mind-boggling.

Point Two: We Need to Make This Trade Soon

I can't imagine us trading for a steady rotation player in a month or two and then having to adjust the rotation again. All year this team this has struggled with on-court chemistry. Adding more transition down the road to this chemistry complexity is foolish.

I agree. I like Bass but against Gasol, KG and even Bosh I worry about his lack of length and IQ. Maybe he learns fast but I do have doubts.

I can't imagine us trading for a steady rotation player in a month or two and then having to adjust the rotation again. All year this team this has struggled with on-court chemistry. Adding more transition down the road to this chemistry complexity is foolish.