Sign in to follow this  
OrlandoNKentucky

Help me complete my iTunes

So I've hit one of those moods in the past couple of hours where I'm really interested in a lot of classic songs, that would be beyond my generation. I come from the late 80s, so we'll say my musical tastes start around the 90s. Although, I'd like to think that I have a pretty well-rounded appreciation for all types of music, I know that there are some things that I like that I either can't think of or don't know the name of. I'd be playing guitar hero or listening to the radio and really like that song but then forget to go and buy it later on.

So, I'd like some suggestions from you guys on what classic songs are an absolute must to be added to any ipod.

i've made a dvd for my parents just on oldies ~ i'll screen capture that disc and there might be something that you could like as well.

oldies1.jpg

oldies2.jpg

oldies3.jpg

oldies4.jpg

• Upvote 1

Stating what kinds of bands you like from the late 80s and 90s that you currently listen to would go a long way in helping people decide what to recommend to you.

Talking about classic songs/albums you already know and like would help as well.

Buy all the Jimi Hendrix and Led Zep albums. Follow with Pink Floyd. Report back when assignment is complete.

Three things:

1. There is really no need and little reason to own anything of Hendrix's that was released after his death. Are You Experienced?, Axis: Bold as Love, and Electric Ladyland are the only Hendrix albums that are really essential.

2. You really only need Zeppelin's first 6 albums. Presence, In Through The Out Door and Coda are all varying levels of mediocre. Plant's solo work was better.

3. I like Pink Floyd as much as the next guy, but there are hundreds of albums more important in the rock and roll landscape then most of their albums. They were great when they were "on", but there was a whole lot of garbage in the Post-Syd Barrett, pre-Dark Side of the Moon era of Pink Floyd. You'd certainly struggle to convince, well, anyone that More is more important than something like Who's Next?, Machine Head, Exile on Main St., or hell, even Paranoid or whichever Neil Young record you think was the best.

I read the news today, oh boy....

But seriously, do you want like, classic rock? psychedelic music like Pink Floyd and The Beatles? Jimi Hendrix? Or more along the lines of Boston, Journey? You want old school hip-hop? I'd like to help out lol

oh and a classic rite here....from 72

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSAJ0l4OBHM

the meaning is rather...well, interesting

Three things:

1. There is really no need and little reason to own anything of Hendrix's that was released after his death. Are You Experienced?, Axis: Bold as Love, and Electric Ladyland are the only Hendrix albums that are really essential.

2. You really only need Zeppelin's first 6 albums. Presence, In Through The Out Door and Coda are all varying levels of mediocre. Plant's solo work was better.

3. I like Pink Floyd as much as the next guy, but there are hundreds of albums more important in the rock and roll landscape then most of their albums. They were great when they were "on", but there was a whole lot of garbage in the Post-Syd Barrett, pre-Dark Side of the Moon era of Pink Floyd. You'd certainly struggle to convince, well, anyone that More is more important than something like Who's Next?, Machine Head, Exile on Main St., or hell, even Paranoid or whichever Neil Young record you think was the best.

In Through the Out Door have "Fool in the rain" and "All my love", 2 of my favorite Zeppelin tracks. Cool your engines there pal.

But yeah, after Psychical Graffiti, things I guess went "downhill", even though PG wasn't even THAT good IMO. I HATE Kashmir, but the album is saved by Bron-Yr-Aur.

You're about 88% right about Floyd though.

I'd also put Electric Warrior in that list of albums. T.Rex is a too often ignored.

Pick up some classic Iggy Pop and/or The Stooges (I Got a Right, No Fun, Search and Destroy, I Wanna Be Your Dog are my favorite songs) as well as The Who (some of their stuff is a little.... odd... and that Borris the Spider song kills me, but sooo much of their stuff is just kick ass, it's hard to go wrong), some Ramones, maybe the Sex Pistols (Never Mind the Bollocks...), Tom Petty, hmmmm...

Iggy Pop/The Stooges - look for "Raw Power" and "The Stooges" (I wouldn't normally suggest an anthalogy but "A Million in Prizes" would be a good idea)

The Who - Who's Next is a must have. MUST. HAVE. Live at Leeds if you dig live music.

The Ramones - Start with "Rocket to Russia" and "Road to Ruin"

The Sex Pistols - Nevermind the Bollocks, Here's the Sex Pistols

Tom Freakin' Petty (his old stuff) - "Tom Petty & The heartbreakers", "Damn the Torpedos", and "Hard Promises"

Those are all albums, and all worth having and listening to in their entirety.

In Through the Out Door have "Fool in the rain" and "All my love", 2 of my favorite Zeppelin tracks. Cool your engines there pal.

But yeah, after Psychical Graffiti, things I guess went "downhill", even though PG wasn't even THAT good IMO. I HATE Kashmir, but the album is saved by Bron-Yr-Aur.

You're about 88% right about Floyd though.

I'd also put Electric Warrior in that list of albums. T.Rex is a too often ignored.

I didn't say those albums didn't have good songs on them. But are you really going to argue that In Through The Out Door was as consistently great as II or IV?

Kashmir is fine by me. I wouldn't feel bad if I never heard it again, but I still enjoy it if it pops on. That's even more true for Black Dog.

Also, I was just listing 4 or 5 much more significant albums, Jareth, not trying to create an entire, all-encompassing list of "Albums more important than Pink Floyd's More."

And while I think Electric Warrior is an ok record, T.Rex has always struck me as Ziggy Stardust-era Bowie, if Bowie's music hadn't aged as well.

Three things:

You are Drunk On Mystery aren't you? Please don't tell me about music. I was stating my opinion, which is as legit as anyone else's here. You are talking about music in absolutes like you have a knowledge that the mortal man does not. I realize how you have to rush to every post and "drop knowledge" to fulfill your real life insecurities. I get that. We all do. Every post of yours screams "in real life i am inadequate and hung like a grape, so i come to the web to pick on site noobs and talk like an authoritarian !!" I hope it works for you, i really do because every time I come here, without fail I see you going at somebody and making sure everyone knows you are the smartest guy here and you will hit reply until they submit to your E will.

I will give you this, because this is obviously a major part of your life. The OP does NOT need to get all the Hendrix records or all the Zep records or all the Floyd. But just spending time listening to those 3 acts is a great start. I don't feel like spending time making 123 lists with mass detail for someone. I could easy tell them to do the obvious thing, which is listen to 96.5 for a week and make your own decisions based off of actually hearing the music yourself and processing what you like with your own ears instead of what going by what a bunch of anonymous people say you should like. I was simply picking 3 legendary acts that you can not go wrong with.

Regardless, enjoy this stuff, and remember it really sounds best on vinyl. It just has a magic to it on vinyl because it was mixed and mastered for that medium. You add up the fact that the low end under 100 hz has to be in mono, the mastering process rolls the highs off, the records were sequenced far better back then because there is no fast forward, and remember that people sat down and listened to these albums and took their time. It was not, click on this or that and then skip to this band or that band. It was a whole different time for music and there are a million gems out there worth discovering that no thread can cover or do justice to.

• Downvote 3