Sign in to follow this  
Nyce_1

OJ Mayo

I don't get the Monta hate. You guys act as if Vince is a bucket of defense that we poor on players every night.

Tell me one thing Vince does better than Monta AT THIS STAGE in their careers.

Then tell me you wouldn't want Monta's offense on this team. Sure, it might be awkward with him and Meer in the backcourt at first. But Ellis/Curry works, and they don't have Dwight manning the paint to protect them.

I'm not saying it's THE BEST trade out there but it's certainly not worth a flat out "nawwwwwwww" or a 8 paragraph explanation by the artist formerly known as DOM (we miss the name, the sig is being made).

I don't get the Monta hate. You guys act as if Vince is a bucket of defense that we poor on players every night.

Carter's no defensive juggernaut, but he's a lot better than Ellis, and that should emphasize just how bad Ellis is defensively.

Tell me one thing Vince does better than Monta AT THIS STAGE in their careers.

Better passer, better defender, better rebounder, more efficient (and yes, I'm taking into account this year AND last year), draws more fouls (granted it's like a 2% difference), and MOST IMPORTANTLY, he defers to Howard and that's the most important thing right now.

Then tell me you wouldn't want Monta's offense on this team. Sure, it might be awkward with him and Meer in the backcourt at first. But Ellis/Curry works, and they don't have Dwight manning the paint to protect them.

I wouldn't want Monta's blackhole offense on this team. And how does Ellis/Curry work, exactly? Do you mean it favors their individual stats? Sure, their team isn't all that great but how many teams in the NBA have two wing players combine for 40/10 and still be below .500?

Ellis is overpaid by about a third, and his statistics tend to overstate his impact.

In a vacuum, I'd prefer him to Carter, but I'd rather have Carter for this year and then a 4m buyout next year than be on the hook for 4 years, 44m for Ellis.

And to answer Jareth's question, Carter defends better, plays off the ball infinitely better, is a better shooter from outside 12', rebounds better, and gets to the line at a slightly better rate.

Carter's no defensive juggernaut, but he's a lot better than Ellis, and that should emphasize just how bad Ellis is defensively.

Debatable

Better passer, better defender, better rebounder, more efficient (and yes, I'm taking into account this year AND last year), draws more fouls (granted it's like a 2% difference), and MOST IMPORTANTLY, he defers to Howard and that's the most important thing right now.

Debatable, no, OK, Ellis is shooting 48% from the field with 9 MORE SHOTS than Vince, Ellis draws more and also shoots a better % than Vince THIS YEAR, and Ellis would learn to defer to Howard. Stop it.

I wouldn't want Monta's blackhole offense on this team. And how does Ellis/Curry work, exactly? Do you mean it favors their individual stats? Sure, their team isn't all that great but how many teams in the NBA have two wing players combine for 40/10 and still be below .500?

They're below .500 right now due to Lee being out, and Curry was figuring things out last year as a rookie. Not to mention they were still playing intense Nellie ball.

Carter's foul drawing: 11.8%

Monta's: 10.4%

he only has more attempts because of having the ball in his hands a lot more. Also, are you seriously using FG% as a way to measure scoring efficiency? Come on Chareth, Carter's TS% is .585 while Ellis' is at .555. Oh, and let's not forget Ellis' TS% was .517 last year, which is pretty bad for a volume shooter.

Even if Ellis did defer to Howard, it wouldn't make it any better. He can't play any defense, can't play off the ball and can't rebound too well. If he didn't have the ball in his hands, we'd basically be playing 4 on 5, and while we sometimes see that with Carter, we'd constantly see it with Ellis. Ellis doesn't fit this team one bit.

I have to get in the line that doesn't want Ellis. Yes, he's a phenomenal offensive player, but we already got enough defensive liabilities for Dwight to worry about.

And to top it off, finally we have what most of us have wanted for years: Dwight taking more shots than any one else on the team. Do we really want to give those shots away to a guard who can't shoot outside of the paint?

please NO Ellis!

Monta Ellis career defensive rating/defensive win shares per year av : 111 / 1.1

Vince Carter career defensive rating/defensive win shares per year avg: 106 / 2.12

VC 6-7 215 lbs - guards SG and SF which are primary scorers on most teams

ME 6-3 175 lbs - guards PG and smaller guards only

Evaluating Ellis is hard, imo. Dude has played under a terrible coach, in an imbalanced system and on a losing team. I do know I (and Otis) have little confidence in Whince.

I know its just one game, and probably my first time actually watching Mayo, but he looked good vs. Kobe (defensively).